Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? So, am I doing Ok for a beginner?

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    emf
    Participant

Lol, I’m not nor ever will be a pro, that last pic was the only shot I’d taken in 6 months.

Get at it right in Camera? I’ll make an image I like whether it’s all in camera or not.

You think im precious? You should read your replies, you guys need to relax. Photography is art, not science.

i made a picture of my pet bird I like, and going by the Flickr results, so did others. So who’s critisim is right, Flickr or here?

and for the record, your responses on here are part of the fun I post the odd pic or two, so thanks for the expected giggle this morning.

Everyone’s critique is valid Simon, by only listening to the good stuff you are doing a dis-service to yourself and your craft.

Also photography is an art and a science, imho that’s what makes it so fascinating.

IHF
    Participant

Oh my Simon!  I think that might be the very best picture of a parrot that I have ever seen.  I’ve never seen anything quite like it.  The color, the light, the focus and POV… PERFECTION!  I’m blown away by the way you’ve captured this animal’s spirit.   Brilliant.  Nice, wonderful, great capture.  Congrats on your explore feature.  Wow!  NatGeo may be knocking on your door soon.
    Is this more of what you were expecting?
    It really IS a nice picture of your pet, you SHOULD really like it, and just enjoy it for what it is, not offer it up for criticism.  What would be the point?  You’re not looking to improve the shot, or have some direction for your next shoot with him, to take things further.  Not looking for help in anyway…So why then are our opinions and input so desperately needed by you?
    I have a very difficult time understanding where you are coming from.

simoncookerussell
    Participant

Where am I coming from. I said it in my last post.

Its all all about shits and giggles. You guys deliver in spades.

Could I improve that pic, maybe, I actually don’t care.

Understand this this point very clearly , I post here because I find this place laughable.

emf
    Participant

‘We deliver in spades’ because people here offer honest opinions and won’t fawn over you? I fail to see how that is amusing but whatever tickles you I guess. I have a feeling you are amusing people too.

You could use the opportunity to gain critique and actually improve your photography, but hey ho, that’s your choice.

Don
    Participant

1. Come to photography criticism forum as a beginner

2. Ask for criticism

3. People give criticism.

4. Tell everyone they’re wrong because you “like” what you’re doing

Did I get it right?

Your photos are oversaturated and use too many cheap editing tricks.

Don
    Participant

And for the record, Flickr is nothing but “OMG THATS A COOL PIC” in the way of criticism. It’s shit.

emf
    Participant

I disagree with that last statement, there is a lot of that and the ‘awesome capture’ fluff. But there are some really good critique groups too.

bananaslugs
    Participant

“You should read your replies, you guys need to relax.”

The same could be said of you. I went back and read your replies and you seem pretty uptight in many of your responses. Granted you did say sorry a few times but then you started to act uptight again (if I recall correctly).

“Lol, I’m not nor ever will be a pro,”

That’s no excuse for being so rude. You’re definitely not the only person who’s ever been rude on these boards but in this thread it was you who was mainly being rude.

Dudley
    Participant

My gawd!  This thread could be summed up in a couple of sentences. A jackass brayed.  The barnyard kept on responding.

jussharp
    Participant

Here is a bit of friendly advice from someone who has worked in the creative arts for many years that you can take or leave. Be careful not to form your own opinions too early about what is artistically good and what is bad in your own work. This takes years to develop and if you set your mind too early you can impede your own personal growth. To clarify, you should always look at your work and say, “that’s good,” or, “that’s bad.”  Be self critical; however, do not trust yourself implicitly. Those opinions are being informed by a lack of experience. Seek out guidance from those with more experience. If they say there are deficiencies in your work and you need to improve in certain areas, trust them. Even if those criticisms conflict with your idea of whats good. After nearly two decades, I still question my own instincts and seek guidance about my art. Growth never stops.

Second, beware of the simple “that’s good” or “that’s bad” critique. A quality critique always includes “because.” That’s good because… or that’s bad because… Complements should be appreciated but listened to sparingly. I post several of my photos to facebook and get many many complements. If I listened to those, I feel really good, but there is little opportunity there for growth.

Lastly, my impressions of your photos. You seem to fall into the same trap as myself. I prefer colors to really pop so I tend to push the limits of saturation and vibrance. My photo looks really good to me, but then I show a more experienced photographer and they grimace and suggest that I pull back on the post processing. They tell me that a photo should stand on its own with the composition, subject matter, exposure, use of light, etc. Once that is good, I can gently add enhancements that don’t distract from the photo. I walk away sulking and hurt that this experienced photographer did not recognize all of the work that I put into the photos. I think that they didn’t get what the photo was about. After a while, I begin to realize that there is merit in their assessment. The fundamentals of good photography need to be addressed before i try to be an artist and worry about making the colors pop.

Study, learn, practice, practice, practice, seek guidance from a seasoned professional, and be open to not only the good but also the harsh advise.

picstop
    Participant

Why are you people feeding the self-proclaimed troll?

emf
    Participant

He’s not a troll, he just doesn’t take critique well and is lashing out I think.

jussharp
    Participant

I agree with emf. I just wanted to encourage him to alter his perspective to help in some personal and artistic growth. I think there is potential to be quite a good photographer if a few areas are approached differently.

picstop
    Participant

“Its all all about shits and giggles.
    Could I improve that pic, maybe, I actually don’t care.
    Understand this this point very clearly , I post here because I find this place laughable”

Ok, maybe not the true definition of a forum troll but he’s now acting like one (at the very least simply a sh!t disturber). A reaction to negative critique of his blase pics possibly but if he simply wants to stir sh!t, leave him to do it on his own. If he thinks this is the only camera or photography forum where someone spends time stirring it, he’s mistaken. I’ve seen his kind all over. If he wants the world to love him, he should join the rest of his kind on fb. Everyone likes everything there.

Trainwreck
    Participant

I can say with all honesty that I have never seen the likes of this thread!

Even for this particular Forum, where one would expect this type of thing, I am impressed!

Happy New Year everyone!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.