Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? So, am I doing Ok for a beginner?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    simoncookerussell
    Participant

But, IMO that picture of the girl is perfect.

Theres another pic of my partner and my dog, does that work for you?

not the best composed pic, but it was a candid I took as I was walking past.

but I see your point, and being a portrait photographer is low on the want scale 😉

JCFindley
    Participant

I make photos for myself first and formost, everyone else is not relevant.  That is the one big thing I learnt from this site, don’t listen to others, listen to your own gut when it comes to your own expression.  I’m not trying to be negative to your comment, just being real to myself, it’s not your photographic style, it’s mine.

Actually, I think this is spot on. This is the first thread I ever commented on or even read on this site. I think my only recommendation was something along the lines of your quote. I shoot for me and only me. If anyone else likes it then great. I do take and listen to critique as it helps me improve but I only incorporate critiques that improve what I do in my own opinion. I think about or even try everything that is suggested though just to see if it works for me.

Anyway, congrats and well done.

simoncookerussell
    Participant

I love my photos, and I work on them till I do.

I hate reading that some photogs hate their own work, and that’s sad.

I just need to get out there again, it’s been awhile.

JCFindley
    Participant

My all time favorite is usually the one I just took or the next one I plan to take.

simoncookerussell
    Participant

This is one of mine favs, simply because the edit makes it look like a painting. It was such an underexposed pic, gettin the tower out of the shadows made it look horrid, so I tried to make it look painted instead and then tried to edit the rest of the pic to suit.

JCFindley
    Participant

I like that one.

I will throw this out as food for thought. If you are just looking to share your images with the world Flickr is a wonderful thing. If you are looking to sell your images though, you need to be very careful how you use Flickr.

For instance, the above image is labeled all rights reserved, which is good, but it shows at approximately 3000×1500 pixels and can be downloaded at that size. That means someone could download and print a 30×15 inch print at 100 DPI. (Yes, 300 used to be the industry standard and still hangs on but 100 DPI prints can be used and often is with great results.) Basically, you are making your work available for free download if someone chooses to do so.

Showing your work online at all will make it available to anyone that wants to do a screen capture but I limit the size to somewhere between 600 and 1000 pixels on the long side. Yes, someone can take that and print a nice 10 inch print but I make most of my money on prints 20 inches and up. By limiting the size image I show online, it ensures if someone wants a quality large print, they have to pay for it. The way you have your images online now, you are giving the less scrupulous types a choice in how they want to acquire your work.

simoncookerussell
    Participant

Thanks for the concern, but I have no intention to sell.

And to be honest, if people do indeed look at them on Flickr, I’d like them to enjoy them at their best.

If someone took the time to make a print, I hope they enjoy it.

JCFindley
    Participant

In that case, enjoy and carry on.

simoncookerussell
    Participant

This sumes things up perfectly, quoted from the Member “Egglington” on whirlpool forums, under the topic “What makes a good photograph?”

“I don’t believe there is any decisive answer when it comes to defining what is a good photograph. Why? Simply because it is a subjective opinion and is going to vary depending on the person critiquing it. Therefore I don’t think the question can be answered, merely only be debated.

At the end of the day the only persons opinion that matters is the photographer who captured the image (with the exception of commercial work where client is king). The photographer who took the image defines his or her own great photograph. Once you start photographing to please others, then I think as a photographer you are always going to be slightly annoyed. Stick to your own vision regardless of what other people think. That takes far more guts and conviction in your work than bowing to popularity. Finding a point of difference is far more important than being another clone.

What makes a good photograph? Good intentions. Great meaning. The right execution.”

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2127771

simoncookerussell
    Participant

My best work to date, well I think.

Pops Final (Explored)

simoncookerussell
    Participant

One of my latest explored pics

stupid pic won’t show, this site is still whack on iPads

[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/94214228@N05/15701846268/][img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7583/15701846268_9340bb3573.jpg[/img][/url]
    [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/94214228@N05/15701846268/]Charlotte Photoshoot 4 (Explored)[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people/94214228@N05/]Simon Cooke-Russell[/url], on Flickr

simoncookerussell
    Participant

Try again

Charlotte Photoshoot 4 (Explored)

Dudley
    Participant

Sorry for the rant, I know I said I’d accept critisizm, but by the looks of it, I havnt.

But I had a think to myself after Brownie made his comments. I take pictures how I like, for my own personal enjoyment. I really don’t know what I wanted by coming on here to get approval,  especially when it really won’t make a difference to how I shoot. This site is intended to point out the frauds ripping people off, and I’m not nor ever will be, one of them, so in that case, how I take and enjoy my photos ain’t got nothing to do with anyone else, being a big part of photography is artistic and personal, whether I follow typical trends or be unique.”

First the pictures.  As a new photographer you are doing about what you should be doing…taking lots of shots in different genres and getting the feel. The second thing newcomers always do is quit practicing their photography and start ‘processing’ trying to duplicate the latest over-the-top looks.  They always fail.   Go back to perfecting your basics, and identifying what genre you feel most comfortable with, and which you enjoy most.  At that point work on your COMPOSITION, always work on the composition.  The next item is perfect your understanding and useage of light.

Lastly putting something up for critque and flying off the handle defending it against legitimate critique will land you in limbo.  All the good, knowledgeable people will simply avoid you and that leaves you with chronic back-patters…which keeps your skills at the bottom of the barrel.  Your choice.

in two photography
    Participant

Couldn’t agree more w/ Dudley.

Simon, you certainly cannot expect to come HERE for honest critique and not have some ‘honestly harsh critique” come your way.  You’re still well into the beginning stages – I won’t go into details per the images, the folks here have done that already.  You have a LONG way to go before you can safely react the way you did to some of the comments here.

Your problem is very common to most new photographers.  When you first start out, your friends and family all tell you that your work is awesome – of course they will, they are friends and family and that’s what they are supposed to do.  So, of course, YOU think your work is awesome.

However, when put in the light of pros and semi pros – you don’t come close, sorry to tell you.

And here’s the biggest tip to helping your photography career – LEARN TO TAKE CRITICISM.  Nobody is going to like ALL your work.  Some people will NEVER like anything you do… you have to learn to be ok with that.   It’s integral to learning photography ( and advancing your skills ) that you take criticism openly and accept it.  Just think how little of time you’ve been shooting and you’re asking critique from people who have been in the industry for 20+ years.

Really… what kind of a person asks for critique and then slams people for doing so.    This, unfortunately, makes you a full blown fauxtographer.

You will find ( as all us do ) that the longer you shoot, the more knowledge you gain the less and less of your own images you like ; you become your own worst nightmare for critique.

I will add to the processing.  Photography is about just that, photography.  If you have to edit a photo to get the end result what you want – guess what?  So many nublet photographers believe that Photoshop is the be all end all.  Unfortunately, that is just not true.  A pro does an extremely small amount of post processing to their images – they only have to because they got it right in camera.

simoncookerussell
    Participant

Lol, I’m not nor ever will be a pro, that last pic was the only shot I’d taken in 6 months.

Get at it right in Camera? I’ll make an image I like whether it’s all in camera or not.

You think im precious? You should read your replies, you guys need to relax. Photography is art, not science.

i made a picture of my pet bird I like, and going by the Flickr results, so did others. So who’s critisim is right, Flickr or here?

and for the record, your responses on here are part of the fun I post the odd pic or two, so thanks for the expected giggle this morning.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.