Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum Selling Old Gear

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Vee
    Participant

I was hoping someone could recommend a Kijiji type website for selling gear you no longer want.  I’ve already posted an ad there, as well as Craigslist.  I’d really like to make some of my money back as I have just invested in a 5D mk3 with a Canon 135mm L.  They’re fun new toys but they set me back a pretty penny.  I saw a few decent alternatives to those sites but they’re US only.  Doesn’t help me much in Canada.  I’d appreciate any suggestions!

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

wacha have?

cameraclicker
    Participant

Previously, you said you had:  Canon T3i body, Canon EF 50mm 1.8, Canon EFS 55-250mm, Canon EFS 18-55mm and one Yongnuo YN560-II.

Where are you in Canada?

What do you want to sell and how much are you hoping to get for it?

Henry’s in Toronto takes in used gear, though I don’t know how much you would get for a rebel and kit lenses.  You could check their web page.  Look for their show page as well, it is in a couple of weekends from now, I don’t know if they have an opportunity to move old equipment but they have good, free, seminars.

The 50 mm 1.8 and flash should work with your new 5D.    Unless cash is extremely tight, I would be inclined to keep what you have for those times you just want to carry something light while walking around.

Vee
    Participant

Cameraclicker, I’m surprised you remembered that.  I’m keeping my flash but I’m selling the following:

– Canon Rebel T3i body
    – Canon EF-S 18-55mm lens
    – Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4 lens
    – Canon EF 50mm f1.8 lens
    – Canon LP-E8 battery (selling 2 of them; I had a spare)
    – Canon camera bag
    – Hoya Pro 1D UV(0) 58mm lens filter
    – Tripod with carrying bag

I would like to get around $1000 for everything.  That’s why I threw in my 50mm even though it’s compatible with the 5D.  I’m not desperate for cash but it would be nice to have a little something extra to buy some nice flash triggers.  I actually checked with the Henry’s salesperson who helped with my new purchase and he said I could get about a grand if I sold my stuff privately.  Henry’s (here, in Toronto) only offered me $300 for everything which is why I posted on Kijiji.  I know this gear isn’t the best but it’s served me well and I used it so gently that everything could pass for new.

cameraclicker
    Participant

My memory sucks!  My computer’s memory, however, is pretty robust.  😉

Henry’s show is free if you have one of their pre-printed tickets.  The show is May 23 – 25 at Hall 5 of the International Centre.  If you can’t get a ticket or two out of Henry’s and want to go, email me through my web page and I will send you a file you can print tickets from.

Usually, a number of local photo clubs set up booths at the show.  Letting the photo clubs know you are offering gear for sale may be an option.

You could also put together a photo of the gear and post ads on local supermarket bulletin boards.

Will the local high school post a notice on their bulletin board for you?

I don’t know what the cost would be.  My wife came back from church on Sunday with a flyer the church puts together and the back page is covered with ads.  There are also the free commuter papers, which probably also charge for ads.

There is also http://www.kajiji.ca which is the Canadian version, and http://www.buysellusedstuff.com which says you can post for free to sell stuff in Canada.

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

I hate to be one of those people, but…

Unless you have a Manfrotto Carbon Fiber tripod with ball head, even at FULL RETAIL the whole kit-n-kaboodle mentioned above would yield around $1050 Canadian.

With all due respect, be realistic.

To a pro or even an enthusiast, those items holds very little value. Anyone shooting for more than a few years has already upgraded beyond what you have. If the sales folk at the store you mentioned said you could get a G note for everything if you sold it privately, tell them to put the money where there mouth is and sell it for you.

My dad always said “a salesman is a salesman first and a person second,” and I’ve found they’ll tell you anything to make a sale, even things like “your old stuff? I shouldn’t be telling you this but…”

Vee
    Participant

Cameraclicker, that’s awesome!  I didn’t even know about the show.  I’ll definitely have to ask the sales guy about it next week when I go to pick up my new lens!  I might sell back to Henry’s, as a last resort, but they low balled me very hard since they would still want to make a profit on everything.  If I don’t get a decent offer on the stuff, I might just keep it for my kid.  She’s been bugging me for a DSLR and seems to be taking an interest in photography. 🙂

EyeDoc, I’m not trying to be greedy.  I’m going based on looking up current retail prices on my gear and giving a discount to factor in the fact that, while it has been used, everything is in perfect condition.  There isn’t a single scratch on anything and all 3 lenses are squeaky clean.  I know other photographers would have zero use for the stuff but the T3i is still a pretty hot item with the average camera user, around here.  Depending on the retailer, the stuff I’m selling fetches $1100-$1200 pre-tax ($1400+ with).  Maybe I’ll try asking $900 flat for everything unless that’s still unrealistic.  I really, really don’t want to sell it for any less than $800.

cameraclicker
    Participant

– Canon Rebel T3i body                                                                                 — $ 529.99    presently save $70, on sale, kit incl. 18-55 lens
    – Canon EF-S 18-55mm lens
    – Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4 lens                                                                  — $249.99      presently save $110, on sale, f/4-5.6 lens
    – Canon EF 50mm f1.8 lens                                                                             — $119.99     presently $20 off, on sale
    – Canon LP-E8 battery (selling 2 of them; I had a spare)                          — $ 69.99
    – Canon camera bag                                                                                          — $59.99
    – Hoya Pro 1D UV(0) 58mm lens filter                                                          — $59.99
    – Tripod with carrying bag                                      — you don’t say which tripod or bag, so $50 ’cause the two I bought with bags cost that, each

When I add that all together I get:  $1139.94

Tax is  $148.19

Total is $1288.13

So, I fudged a little on the bag and tripod because detail was sketchy, but prices are from Henry’s web page today.  I think the bag must be a smaller size, and the tripod must be a lighter model, or you would be keeping them along with the flash.

How much would someone be willing to pay for used gear, instead of new with a full warranty?  I don’t know.  That’s probably why I still have almost all my old cameras, bags, tripods, and other stuff.  But I still find a lot of it to be useful and will argue that it is more useful to me to have it in a drawer where I can pull it out when I want to, than the little money I would get by selling it.  And, I know it’s history.

If you are picking up a lens, you should know the major stores do price matching.  It is worth a minute to check Aden, Henry’s, Merkle Camera, and Vistek, web pages to price most items before handing over your credit card.  Print the web page showing the item at a better price and take the page with you.   Henry’s will even adjust the price a week later in most cases.

nesgran
    Participant

Unless your lenses are the new stm kit lenses and the tripod is a better known model $1000 is very ambitious. Have a look at ebay to get an idea of what would be reasonable but I imagine $7-800 is much more likely. It doesn’t matter what you paid for the kit, it depends on what you can buy it for now.

Vee
    Participant

Thanks!  I never thought to push Henry’s for a price match.  I’ll have to do my research, although, the reason I got the 135mm is because it was on sale for $999.99.  I’ll post some ads for my old stuff and hopefully get $700-$800.  Again, I’m not trying to be a greedy a-hole.  I’m sure anyone here can understand the sting of investing in new gear and wanting to recover some of the money.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.