Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum Run-In With A Rude Photog (assistant?)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Katie
    Participant

I assume he was the assistant, because the other photog had 2 camera bodies to his one, took more photos, and I saw him holding the reflector, etc. Everyone is outside after the ceremony. I incorrectly assumed he was finished because it looked like he was packing up gear. He was at the back of the church, no where near the couple. So I stepped up to the doorway of the church, not even planning to step inside (it was a very small church, and I could easily get a good shot from the doorway) to try and snap a quick photo of the bride, my relative. As I lifted my camera, he stepped in front of me and said very rudely “I don’t allow anyone in here while I’m working!” I apologized and stepped away, but I was completely humiliated! Yes, I know you aren’t supposed to get in their way, but don’t you think it could of been handled differently?

I would love to see how the final photo’s come out, because a relative stuck up for me and (and if I heard him right, I was walking away at the time) he said the couple is paying $60hr for them to be there. I don’t know if that falls into fauxtog pricing? but I thought it was unprofessional to announce the amount? They projected some on a screen at the reception and while there were plenty of decent ones, I saw a lot that seemed too bright, even blown out, reflections on peoples glasses, etc.

One last thing: he gathered all the guests around the bride and groom. He wanted them kiss while the guests covered their eyes. He announced “If you don’t cover your eyes, I will cut you out of the picture!” and not in a ha-ha trying to get a laugh way, more of a just-try-me sort of way. I even heard another guest mention it later and ask what was up with him saying it like that.

nesgran
    Participant

$60/hour is firmly in fauxtog land, especially given it is for two shooters. Pretty shitty attitude I must say

Katie
    Participant

nesgran- that’s what I thought. He may have said $60 a minute, being a smart-a$$, but I am pretty sure I heard “an hour”

At the reception, and I don’t know if this is right..because I haven’t read a whole lot about lighting, they were using a flash with a diffuser on it, pointed toward the ceiling (it was a really low white ceiling. The room had a lot of colored lights in it) They didn’t have any of their own separate lighting other than the flashes which stayed on the camera the whole time.

ebi
    Participant

a flash with a diffuser pointed at the ceiling is just a fill light that fills in the room and dark shadows on the subject. it’s a very flat light when pointed at the ceiling. The on camera flash means the light will be very frontal with little shadow. So it sounds like very flat, but evenly lit photos.

Sounds like the assistant isn’t really in the know about what the photographer is making on this job. His shot at the end sounds super cheesy and stupid.

Katie
    Participant

Oops, just noticed the typo I made in the original post. But yes, it felt super cheesy too, standing there covering our eyes.

stef
    Participant

Sounds kind of rude, although shooting weddings with the guests participating is pretty difficult. Projecting them on a screen at the reception means there was minimal editing involved. They’ll usually edit and cycle maybe a dozen images, and all the editing was done in the space of an hour or so. You’ll see reflections and such, although exposures should be good.

Here’s some perspective: Wedding photographers, especially in a large wedding which this sounds like, get maybe 30 minutes with the couple and their parents. Poking your head in, if your camera flashes or the couple to glances over at the door, can cost them a minute of time which the B&G paid for, along with some annoyance. When 5 people do that, they’ve lost a lot of time… this is time the B&G paid for. Ultimately, you’re costing the B&G time away from their reception, their drinking, their dancing, their party which you should be at. Whose wedding is it anyway? If they say don’t enter the area while the paid photographers are shooting, doing so is disrespecting everyone involved and costing time and money to the bride and groom. As a relative, isn’t it in your best interest to respect the B&G’s wishes at their own wedding?

I’m not convinced he was rude, but I’m not convinced he wasn’t. He very well might’ve been, from your description. Sounds kind of rude to me, but when you’re herding cattle and trying to control a situation involving 150 people to get a good picture, you have to be a bit loud (usually interpreted as rude) just to get heard.

Yeah, pics like that “hands over eyes” pic are cheezy. But it’s the moment captured in time which often tells a story not as bad as the cheezy action. If he’s any good, it’ll look fun. If he’s not, it won’t. Many people have their own signature pic. I have mine (which is definitely non-cheezy!), and I rarely shoot weddings.

I wouldn’t even pack my gear for $60/hr. That’s definitely fauxtog pricing. But most fauxtogs don’t attempt to involve the guests. That takes a slightly higher level of skill and confidence, so I’m thinking you misheard.

Katie
    Participant

Stef- I agree with what you said and can totally see it from that perspective.

For sure, I wouldn’t want to take away from their time or go against their wishes.  Just to clarify: He was at the back of the church and seemed to be packing up (he had already been with them quite awhile) I honestly thought he was finished and getting ready to step out (the other photog was off somewhere else) I would of never attempted a photo while the hired photog’s were shooting.

They actually didn’t say no photos, and in fact, it was announced at the start of the ceremony that we could take photos after (and also said the same thing on their wedding website). If it had said no cameras, or cameras at the reception only, I would of never dreamed of taking it out. There never did end up being a time that they weren’t with the hired photog’s so I just went ahead to the reception without taking any.

In the end, I did send an email to the bride apologizing for the faux pas and explaining what happened. I was sure she had heard the exchange, but she hadn’t.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.