Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum "Real" photographers are dumb

• This topic has 53 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mmm.
Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    jenna504
    Participant

Brown Eyed Girl, I really didn’t mean that as a dig at you. You have beautiful work, in my opinion. I was only backing up the point that the OP was making. Your work is technically sound and you take pretty photos. But does it stand out against the masses? Probably not. Will anyone remember it? Probably only the people who are emotionally invested into it. That is art. You give emotional pieces to those connected to the piece. Your work means everything to you because you leave a piece of yourself at every shoot. I am sure that all artists feel this way. When we try to pigeon hole a medium as subjective as photography we remove any traces of art from it.

mmm
    Participant

After following this site for a while the question that comes to my mind is not really why you mock fauxtogs but why do you badmouth also the people depicted in the pictures? I find that very rude and inconsiderate… For that purpose we already have Vice magazine…

shanespark
    Participant

I feel compelled to finally comment. Brown Eyed seems to be the ignorant one. Picking apart every little thing. It is not only ignorant, but small minded as well.  All they are trying to say is that everyone has different taste. Your “Jenna you are back” not only shows immaturity, but also a real lack of professionalism when she didn’t even say anything derogatory.  People are voicing their opinion and you seem to be having a temper tantrum about it. It doesn’t look good from an outsider looking in.

fstopper89
    Participant

shane, Jenna had been very rude to me awhile back in another thread. I do not pick apart every little thing, though when someone has asked for a critique here I obviously have mentioned things such as posing or white balance if you consider those “little things” to pick apart. several people were acting extremely immature towards me in a thread once. And really, I was never the one to mock the people in the photos. I am judging them on the photography, not the client’s appearance. I don’t know where you got that one from so check your sources.

shanespark
    Participant

I read those posts.  Although what she said was harsh, it was in no way rude. It may have been hard to hear, but that is part of being in business. Also as I recall from that thread many other people agreed with the points made. Even though you didn’t want to hear it, that does not mean that it wasn’t true. No need to relive that though, the point was made and it is done. Lastly I was not the one who said that you judge clients so maybe you should check your sources.

fstopper89
    Participant

ok, sorry about the last part, it was mmm who said badmouthing the clients. Though I’m not sure if he/she was referring to me, but I thought because someone mentioned my name in the previous post. I apologize. That comment may not have been directed at me.

fstopper89
    Participant

Speaking of art again… different types of art will have different rules for how much “technical aspects” play into the overall quality of the piece. With the technilogical advances and what’s available to photographers, technical issues can ruin a photo that even has a lot of creativity in it. A painting doesn’t follow the same rules. you can make your brush strokes any way you please, and the piece will be judged more on the feeling, the cohesiveness of the colors, or the scale/proportions of the elements depicted. A sculpture should not have wires sticking out or plaster falling off (as two examples). So every media has to be judged against itself. You cannot take a painting and a photograph and ask an audience “Which isbetter art?”

mmm
    Participant

Brown Eyed Girl, I wasn’t referring to you… I was referring to this site in general… Just read the descriptions of the posts. Many of them have a description which at least myself would find very insulting if it was me in the picture. Not sure where you getting at with the comparison of different forms of art… As when I read through this thread, I’m pretty sure that was not what OP was talking about… So far there hasn’t been any discussion of “Which is better art?”. Maybe you missed the point… But on the other hand a big part of photography aesthetic does derive directly from painting… One could say that photographing made photorealistic portrait painting obsolete. Also ever heard of camera obscura? And please don’t take this as an attack against you.

mmm
    Participant

By the way… What you you mean with “A sculpture should not have wires sticking out or plaster falling off”? It seems you have very strong opinions about the formal aspects of all art forms… As in how they SHOULD look like…. Regardless the MEDIUM (media is plural)… Have you studied contemporary art? Or visited any galleries/exhibitions/museums lately?

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.