Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Ready for my rimming….i think

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kbartistry
    Participant

Hello my name is Kelsey, and my interest in photography started at 8 however I did not try anything professionally till I was 18, I am now 26 and feel I am finally on my way to becoming who I want to be stylistically. I am have self taught most of what I know until I modeled for and became great friends with my favorite photographer in the world Craig Seay, he is training me in post edit work, and I hope one day to be half as good as him. These are his photos https://www.facebook.com/kelsey.baggett.5#!/media/set/?set=a.1207427581461.2033213.1101817513&type=3 I would like for your opinions on my work, please only Judge the albums with 2013 in the title the rest are outdated and not a current representation of my work. They can be found here https://www.facebook.com/kelsey.baggett.5#!/pages/KB-Artistry/257735220938429?fref=ts  Last but not least the only thing not up for judgement Are my poetic expressions, because they are like my children and your scrutany would crush me https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.257742267604391.67751.257735220938429&type=3  Alright have at it!

kbartistry
    Participant

Also If you think It should be deleted from my portfolio on fb please comment on fb with a *

creyes8519
    Participant

You are very talented.  I’m loving the poses, the sets, and expressions in a lot of your photos.  The only thing that I could do without is the over-processed look and how you use like 50 different actions for the same session.  I don’t like skin tones looking un-human like (yellow, blue, etc.) … I am pretty sure that your raw photos are beautiful but the editing kinda messes them up for me. I love Stephanie’s whole shoot but I was dissapointed that they are all in a different color and with terrible vignettes.  If the editing was more subtle, the whole set would have been awesome.  You don’t need to go photoshop crazy to be an artist.  You are an artist because you have a great eye for photography.  Stick to that and really only edit what needs to be edited…  A perfectly normal girl does not need to be in a shade of blue.  I found it interesting that you over-process your photos, but you didn’t bother to edit out the stretch marks on the pregnant mom’s belly.   You need to learn to keep it simple.  Also, if it is not focused correctly, delete it…

dont.care
    Participant

I think they look pretty damn dramatic.. I like ’em. In my opinion, if you like something the day you finish it; come back a week later and see if you have that same feeling.. If you do, don’t change what your doing.. Whatever IS wrong with it, will balance it’s self out over time. 😀

cameraclicker
    Participant

Wow! A Bell & Howell 252!  I worked for Bell & Howell, for a couple of years in the mid-70’s.

I agree with creyes8519.  I would prefer you set white balance to some reasonable value and move on to other editing, like removing keystoning.  You have a few where the lens was just off level and the background is a bunch of bars, or scored concrete, which provides an excellent vertical reference, but in your photos the background appears as converging/diverging lines.  The same applies to camera tilt.  If you tilt the camera 15, 20, or even 45 degrees, we think you meant to do that, if you only tilt a degree or two, we think you did not get the camera level.  It is very obvious when the background is a roll up door and brick wall.

What is the point of the same photo with several different treatments?  Choose the one you like best and show it, leave the others in a file on your own machine.

Camera control seems pretty good, post production needs work, in many cases probably just less work.

kbartistry
    Participant

Well I have tried to thank you several times and my computer keeps dropping the internet and then I have to refresh and retype everything, so this is my last attempt. In reguards to the maternity photos, they are of my best friend, who requested I leave them on all her photos except the ones she is hanging on her wall. I am aware I need to remove them for the ones in my portfolio, but that shoot made her feel great about herself and I am not going to upset her while she is hormonal, by getting rid of all her strechmarks especially since it is what pregnancy does to your body and she is beautiful just the way she is. As far as Stephanies shoot I am trying to sluff them out but it is hard because I have been shooting Stephanie since she was 7 or 8, granted it did not help that her mother pays me extremely well so I tend to edit everything that day while I am still high on emotions, I was up till 4 am that day doing those edits and I think the later it got the crazier her skin tone became lol. I am currently only working out of lightroom because my computer with photoshop crashed and I can’t find my serial number, It is making it difficult to edit when I am used to working with layers and being able to Adjust skintones. I also have not used my spyder yet to callibrate my computer so what I see on my screen is probably not accurate to what you see, i should probably do that today! If my computer will behave today I will finishs sluffing out stephanies folder and then ask what I still need to get rid of. As far as keystoning the garage door, it was the middle of the afternoon in downtown nashville, i was working with very small intervals of time to shoot those and I was also across the street lol. I would have to agree though I do tend to get carried away in the edit room because If an edit takes 1 minute I feel like it is not good enough.

cameraclicker
    Participant

The less time you spend editing, the more time you have for shooting.  Most photos only need a minute or two, convert from raw while tweaking highlights and shadows if needed, and running the basic lens correction checkboxes, then crop if necessary and use curves to adjust contrast, resize, sharpen a little, convert to 8 bits and save as JPEG.  Not fancy, but pretty quick.   It takes longer if you have to remove a lot of spots or change a background.  Taking your time is no big deal if you only have five or ten photos to do.  If you have 600 or 2000, then you start to get into time if you need to spend more than a minute or two.

Lens correction in either Adobe Camera Raw or Photoshop will let you fix minor keystoning.  Both programs also support levelling an image.

creyes8519
    Participant

I totally understand the stretch marks thing… I have them and I’m very proud of them.  I understand that you need to respect the choices of your friend, but making them less prominent is necessary as it takes away attention from the rest of the photo.  You can do that without removing them completely.  I did a photoshoot with my preggo friend recently and her linea negra was incredibly dark and there were other blotches on her skin… all due to the pregnancy hormones.  I didn’t take the line out completely because it is a part of her pregnancy that should be documented, but when looking at the pictures they are the first thing that I noticed and couldn’t take my eyes off of, taking attention away from the beautiful mommy.  I lightened the line up a bit and made it look “neater” so that it is flattering and doesn’t take attention away from the mom.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.