Home Forums Site Information Popup ads?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    JimC
    Participant

Greetings,

I’m not sure if it’s always been like this and I just never noticed it, but it seems like a few days ago this site started showing popup ads when you click off the main page.  Initially I thought the worst, that I got some sort of malware or virus on my computer, but aside from doing a virus scan, I also tested the site on my other computer and my phone, and BOTH are also showing popup ads.

With all due respect, popup advertisements ceased to be cool in about 2001. They’re distracting, jarring, and can interrupt site flow. On more than one occasion I accidentally closed the main window while trying to close the popup. Bottom line, popups scare people, they divert them from seeing your content, and they don’t work as well as anyone would like, since a ton of people have popup blockers installed. (I would have them blocked myself, but unfortunately an app I use at my job requires them to be enabled.)

It’s your site and your decision, but for me personally, I’d rather have inline ads, sidebar ads, even the hover ads that block your content but appear in the same browser window/tab as the content, than to have to be subjected to popup ads. It’s not a deal-breaker to enjoying the site, just something I’d enjoy were it changed.

Thanks!

JCFindley
    Participant

I am with Jim C on this. I understand that bills need to be paid but it is an annoying way to do it.

To go one step further, it would be nice if the popups were at least a little more selective. eg they do not contain “work from home” scam ads.

Rizzo
    Participant

get adblock plus for firefox or chrome. never had a popup problem with this site, and that’s why.

JCFindley
    Participant

It is easy enough to avoid by simply bookmarking the forum, but thanks.

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

Another vote for adblocker, I wish I could get one for my TV!

Bill
    Participant

Most likely the ads are coming form an extension or add-on from one of your browsers.  I recently thought that my hosting company starting placing ads on my business account, I was slightly pissed, cause I was like, why am I paying for a business account and getting ads?

Turns out it was a Pintrest extension for Chrome inserting javascript code within the browser, not the web-site.  I disabled all my extensions, the ads went away.  So I re-enabled them one-by-one until the ads returned.

In my case, the person or group who created the chrome extension, clearly stated that future updates may contain ads, but until recently they had never implemented it.  Soon as they did, I removed the extension.

I also had adblock as well, the ads went past that since they were being generated by the Pintrest extension.  BTW, the Pintrest extension was not the “official” release.

ebi
    Participant

@WCS:

Another vote for adblocker, I wish I could get one for my TV!

you can, it’s called TIVO.

Have you all seen the ad blocker plugin that turns all the pictures/ads into pictures of Ryan Gosling?

http://heygirl.io/

nesgran
    Participant

Bill, this site used to have the old school pop ups when you pressed on anything. Thank god they’ve stopped with them because they were seriously annoying

ebi
    Participant

LMFAO. I just got served an ad on this site for something I shot.

nesgran
    Participant

bwahahaha, that is irony

Bill
    Participant

@Nesgran  –  ahhh.  I probably just never git them, but I know what you are talking about.  Hate those.

@Ebi
    – that plugin is just awesome, lol.  Now if I were gay, it would be even more awesome, lol’

Admin2
    Keymaster

Guys, We have to pay the bills somehow… 🙂

We agree though…They were tremendously annoying. Definitely not a good experience. Sorry about that!

cameraclicker
    Participant

How difficult is it to adjust the page parameters?  Any chance the Reply To box could be increased in size, a window twice as tall, say?

nesgran
    Participant

Or maybe just go to first unread post that works? I manually have to find the first unread post which gets a little frustrating

ebi
    Participant

@Bill, not gay either but RG is damn dreamy!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.