Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Photog Noob with Epic Dreams

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ohsnaplizzie
    Participant

I’m in no way a pro, of course right! Why else would I be here! But I have been in love with photography and taking photos and memories and all that gushy mushy stuff. So for Mother’s Day last year, the best husband in the world got me a starter DSLR. Canon EOS Rebel T3. It’s not super fancy, but man it’s better then the point and shoot’s I’m use to… and way better then my phone camera. Since holding Selena for the first time, yes I named her as I do with all my awesome ‘toys’, I knew things felt right. I’ve been wanting to do more and more with learning the ins and outs and taking photos of my family and friends has been the best learning experience. But I need more of a challenge. I know that if I promise my niece with a sucker she will smile for me… every time. I know that I need to learn how to deal with ‘strangers’ and blah blah blah. Okay I’ve shared maybe a little too much.
    And I haven’t read or seen any other posts here so I’m going in head first. So please… don’t burn me too bad k?

And you can find more of my photos on my blog here
    Anything helpful would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

ohsnaplizzie
    Participant

And I have no idea why the photos didn’t show up… /facepalm

I think I need a nap and to start over tomorrow.  I’m sorry.

Loke
    Participant

…if you want a challenge and “assignments” and some more constructive criticism as well alot of great tips  visit: http://www.digital-photography-school.com sign up for their newsletter, and you get an assignment every week. It’s free.  You’ll also learn about different cameras, lenses and other equipment reviews that will help you “build” your perfect system and also improve your photography. While this site is entertaining, and certainly a lot of good advice from various people I think you will have a better learning “community” there.

cameraclicker
    Participant

Posting photos to Flickr then getting the Share link from Flickr to past here is the easiest way I have found to display a photo here.

You have quite the web site.  I gather from your comment you are just using the kit lens?  On my Rebel, I usually have a Sigma 18-250 mm lens.  It has the advantage of not having to be changed much, which keeps the sensor cleaner.

simoncookerussell
    Participant

I love the Ferris wheel pic 🙂

Intuition
    Participant

my first note is you need to learn lighting better. The tea party shots are adorable, but the light is really harsh. Either work in better light ( IE mornings, or evening) or start looking at how to manipulate it. There’s a lot of tea party shots out there, where you see them in a stand of trees with like tule ( tool? tulle? I dunno lol) stretched between. The Tulle ( since it isn’t coming up as misspelled) is probably acting as a giant diffuser so they don’t have dappled light across them.

You can buy a 5 in 1 reflector that has a decent diffuser for really harsh light for less then 20 bucks. And you’ll love it. Also a white “picnic blanket” instead of green would have bounced more light into their faces. Photography is all about light 🙂

Yikes2013
    Participant

When offering “Free Holiday Mini Sessions” during a school carnival you give the impression that you are, indeed, a professional- especially when stating your business name. If you are working as an amateur getting experience you should probably just advertise that you will be available to take holiday photos during the carnival and offer a couple sample images. Just a little food for thought.

The Ferris Wheel, btw, is beautiful! I would agree that the tea party shots had potential, but fill flash or reflectors would add so much! Also, when possible and shooting natural light try to avoid high noon and being in direct light. Things get a little harsh then.

IHF
    Participant

Lizzie,

Id just stick with the blogging and learning photography at this point.  You dont have a good grasp of light and shadow or basics quite yet.  It’s almost as though you skipped right over to the creative side of photography, before learning the technical side.  Yeah, it’s not as fun to learn when it’s less about content or subjects and more about exposure, lighting, color management, selecting focus, dof etc, but it can’t be skipped over if you are serious about becoming a photographer.  Don’t get discouraged though, you can do this if you really want it.  For now I’d leave the public out of your learning process.  That will just slow you down and make you continue on as you have been, giving less attention to the technical side of things.  Good luck 🙂 and have fun

ohsnaplizzie
    Participant

Thnx so much guys!

i do agree, I need help with my lightening for sure!

I’m going to re-read these again and make notes and follow up on learning more and more.

Thnx again!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.