Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography Photo books for the coffee table?

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    nesgran
    Participant

So, suggestions for some nice photo books to stick on the coffee table? Obviously not instructional manuals but nice photos only.

Right now there is a bit of a mix on there, one book about orangutans (Jay Ullal), one lonely planet photo book I found in a charity shop and one by Steve McCurry. I wish I had bought the one about soviet architecture I saw in another charity shop and I really like Mark Laita’s books Serpentine and Sea life. I think I just like the absolute simplicity of the shots. Robert Capa is a very powerful book as well.

Maybe I should ask what do you have on your coffee table?

emf
    Participant

It’s old, but still one of my favourite books is ‘the genius of photography’ from the bbc series about 6 years. Not that I’d put it on my coffee table though as it would be destroyed by my kids :/

ebi
    Participant

Translocation is one of my favorite coffee table books. When you mentioned orangutan, it made me think of it: http://www.translocationbook.com/

Brownie
    Participant

I have Doug DuBois’s “…All The Days and Nights” on mine.

http://www.dougdubois.com/portfolio/family2/family2.html

Quite a fantastic body of work that has inspired me immensely.

nesgran
    Participant

//www.dougdubois.com/portfolio/family2/family2.html

Quite a fantastic body of work that has inspired me immensely.

That did nothing for me.

I wonder if he’s noticed his spelling mistake on the front page

emf
    Participant

I thought that was really interesting Brownie. With the family portraits, the images are quite nice individually but the whole thing works best when viewed as a series; they’re like movie stills – but the ‘movie’ is their lives. It’s interesting to see how they grow and change through the years and I like the tender moments, like of the couple dancing in their house. Are the scenes set up or are they real?

It reminds me of Eggleston’s portraits – of seemingly not very much, just these quiet,  little transient moments of family life that are easy to miss but can be quite beautiful. And to an extent Richard Billingham too, but rather less dysfunctional!

Brownie
    Participant

Doug is very cerebral in how he handles these images of his family, most (if not all) have been staged to some degree or some preconceived idea of the outcome because I’m almost 90% sure that he uses medium format, he’s never told me. I agree, his work is strongest as a set, as an unspoken narrative.  I think the only ties that Doug and Richard have is that they both photograph family but entirely different ways with entirely different visions, I adore both sets.

EZ49
    Participant
    nesgran
    Participant

very nice, I might put $50 in to that

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

no coffee table, our house is not configured in this fashion. The central locus is our kitchen. Our fridge, walls – just about any free blank space – is covered with coloring pages from my 6yr old daughter, almost exclusively from the movie Cars (the first one, before she was born. She likes that one best) 🙂

If this counts, I do have a copy of “The man who mistook his wife for a hat” (Oliver Sacks) on my nightstand.

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

sorry, no suggestions for a book. Just realized you were asking for book SUGGESTIONS and not what everyone has already, sorry…. 🙁

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.