Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Opinions please?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    sayguy
    Participant

Photos look good, and in no way are you a fauxtog, but I agree it is a white balance issue. The OP did say she uses auto WB, and any photographer knows that the auto will not always get it right, if ever IMO. Next time, try playing with the white balance, use a grey card or play with the kelvins settings. You will at least see a difference somewhere.

Sarah
    Participant

I think the photos are a little cool not too warm. I agree most of them are a bit washed out. Have you tried slightly increasing saturation and contrast?

Nightrose
    Participant

AndyF, I would click “like” on your comment, as I’ve be thinking the same thing!   Having had my monitor calibrated with SpyderPro, I am seeing quite decent WB, although perhaps a teeny bit to the warmer side.

hellomarcy
    Participant

hey , what kind of monitor do you have? because i got the dell U2410 and it uses a totally different color space. if i post stuff online, i would first color correct everything on that monitor and then switch over to my other monitor and use srgb. it looks different ..less red. i hate it. wtf guys help 🙁

Furry
    Participant

Thank you all for the advice 🙂 It is encouraging to hear that maybe I’m not as terrible as my inner perfectionist tries to convince me I am.  All the suggestions you made for  improvement were in areas that I’m aware that I’m lacking, so it’s reassuring to know that I’m on the right track as far as knowing what I need to work on.

To answer some questions- My monitor has been calibrated although not for a long time so I’m sure it needs to be done again. I don’t have my own calibrator but it is near the top on my (long) list of equipment that I need to buy.

I really don’t play too much with the contrast & saturation, I think most of the time I’m scared that I’ll go overboard if I try and end up making things worse but I guess I should give it a try and just be conscious of not over doing it and see if that makes a difference.

White balance I think is my biggest challenge. I just start fiddling with the custom settings in ACR and then when I get it to the point that I think I’ve got it right, I second guess myself and keep playing when I really should have just left it. Maybe I’d be better off getting a grey card and bypass changing it myself altogether. Or just keep practising.

Thank you again for the advice, it really is appreciated.

TaylorS
    Participant

personally,  anytime I click on a link and an image opens directly to it’s file (such as these) the stark white  browser background seems to make anything appear at least a little more washed out (or WB appears a little off) than it really is.  Maybe just me.

amandaggogo
    Participant

I love these photos! I think you’ve got some real potential!
    I am in no position to really critique your work, as I’m no professional, just a hobbyist.
    2, 3, and 4 were my favorites!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.