Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Opinions please?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Furry
    Participant

Hi, I really have no idea whether I have any hope of getting anywhere with photography. More than just as a hobby, I mean. No matter what I do, I just don’t feel like my photos are ever good enough and I don’t want to take photos for other people until I feel otherwise… But then I wonder if I EVER will. It seems like something is always wrong. Either there is a weird colour cast or the white balance is off (I shoot in auto WB and adjust it  in ACR), or the composition is off or the colour seems washed out or the skin looks too ‘plastic’ or any one of a million other things. There is always something. I just don’t know if I am being too picky or if I am constantly getting discouraged because I’m just not very good. Anyway, any opinions or constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. Sorry about the writing on a couple of them. I took them from a ‘photo a day’ project I was doing with my daughter.

dicksforeyes
    Participant

Ist gut. Congratulations.

White balance and skin tones are the hardest things for me. I find that looking at tons of properly balanced photos until my eyes bleed helps. Looking at your photos, I see you’re going too warm on almost everything.

jetpix
    Participant

Too warm?  Jason – have you calibrated your monitor lately?  Nothing there is too warm.  The colors are pretty good – if anything, I’d like to see a few of them pumped up a bit – but that is personal preference.  Overall, Id’ say they are pretty good . . . . . .

martenfisher
    Participant

With all the crappy fauxtogs you can’t call yourself bad. You may not be as good as you want to be but far from bad.

dicksforeyes
    Participant

Jetpix is a fauxtog and a recent stroke victim, pay no attention to him.

Mrs Woo
    Participant

I didn’t see too much of a white balance issue either, but I still need a new calibrator and sometimes different websites come up a bit off, anyhow, so usually unless I see a serious problem with color I don’t comment on it.

The only photo that I really disliked was number 4.  I think it would have been a stronger image if it were much closer to the subject and more of the area around was cropped out.  You still can get a feel for how wonderful and green everything is without having the entire bridge in the picture.

Compared to what is posted on here, you’re heads and shoulders above many who consider themselves photographers.  The fact that you are invested in constant improvement and have high standards is a good thing – just don’t let your perfectionism make you completely crazy (grew up with a perfectionist father and find myself falling into that too much myself, too).

AndyF
    Participant

Do you calibrate your monitor jasonjared?

I don’t see a WB issue either. WB appears to be fairly neutral, certainly not warm, and certainly not too warm.

AndyF
    Participant

Do you calibrate your monitor jasonjared (using hardware rather than software?), and same question to the OP?

I don’t see a WB issue in any of the images, they all seem fairly neutral, and I wouldn’t say any are too warm.

If you want to get the WB right in camera, you can always invest in a WB device and set custom WB. I usefol up WB “card”, but there are many on the market.

AndyF
    Participant

meant to say I use a “fold up white balance card”

jetpix
    Participant

So, Jason – looks like you are outnumbered on the WB issue.  Quit being a jackass – then maybe someone will take you seriously.

dicksforeyes
    Participant

A thousand more mouthbreathing fauxtogs can declare the white balance perfect. That doesn’t change anything.

jetpix
    Participant

One blind, delusional wannabe doesn’t change anything either . . . .

AndyF
    Participant

Oh for the want of a “like” button

dicksforeyes
    Participant

Like button– the voice of the intellectually subhuman.

AndyF
    Participant

Right up your street then?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.