Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Opinions of my works, please!! (constructive or destructive)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ares
    Participant

Hi everyone! I have been looking this site for a month and I love it. Seeing those awful works makes me that I know something about photography (but just a little, a 5%. There’s a lot to learn). So, I’m going to study Photography seriously and I want you guys to look at what I had done until now.

This is my website (check the part of Portfolio Foto). I know there’s a lot of photos, so take patience to see all:

http://www.darkroom.comule.com

I want you to give me opinions about if they’re good or bad, what to change on my site or better to sell my equipment and do another thing…

Thank you!!

cameraclicker
    Participant

The 5 photos I see look good.  If there are more than 5 photos, the web page has to go.

nesgran
    Participant

Your website is far too slow, I mean FAR too slow. 1.5mb shouldn’t take more than two seconds to load, I sat waiting for at least 30 and the counter had only managed to get to 60%. It is also not terribly intuitive to navigate.

The two photos I saw before I gave up looked good though

Ares
    Participant

Hi Cameraclicker and Nesgran! Maybe it’s slow because it was made in Flash (and Flash takes it’s time). I’ve got a new template in HTML5 very intuitive and I’m going to change it, but right now I don’t have a lot of time.

JCFindley
    Participant

I am not a fan of music when I surf the web but that is just me.

Verizon Fios rocks BTW and they all loaded instantly for me but still I could only find five or six.

The one angel statue has some pretty obvious haloing around the subject and too much black space for my taste. The rest seemed pretty good.

Ares
    Participant

Hi JCFindley!! The halos of the Angel statue I added to purpose. It seems that all of you cannot find the gallery, so here’s a direct link:

http://darkroom.comule.com/Motion Gallery/fluid_gallery_1.html

Hope it goes better.

cass335
    Participant

I can’t see any of them because I am on an iPhone….and we all know they are a no flash phone. But if I have time later when I am home Lowell take a look.  🙂

Ares
    Participant
    Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

Okay I’m confused! The first website the pics look great. Really like the close up shot of the guy with the stubble. But I can only 5 shots? Even though you said there were a lot of shots. THe second link you posted are much more like snap shots. I wouldn’t have guessed the were by the same photographer, though they were slow to load so I only saw the first 6.

JCFindley
    Participant

I took a few minutes and let it scroll a while and they got MUCH better after the first few.  WCS is right on for the first ones but there really are quite a few nice ones further in.

Which of course brings up a good point. Start with your best or people may not make it very far into the slide show.

Brownie
    Participant

The cover photo for your portfolio of photographs is pretty nice, but when I clicked the link, I browsed through and only found one picture that had that same kind of feel to it.

I think I like image 15 the most, it has life to it as opposed to most others. (And you’ve realized that by putting it on your Contact page.

But it hardly resembles any of the other work, because the other work seems like a documentation of what happened, as a press photographer would.

The self portrait on the CV page is pretty nice but it doesn’t resemble the other work. Everything is clumped together. My favorite image was 14 images in!

I think organizing your portfolio into sections would be ideal.

Manual Mode
    Participant

Just out of curiosity, why flash? From experience the quickest way to get someone to not look at your page is to make it load slow the second way is to have it running on a technology that is not widely supported. Regardless of who you believe for the actual numbers of non-flash supported devices surfing the web, its a massive percentage of traffic. Why limit the number of people who can see your work?  The inclusion of music is a completely different soapbox and makes your page feel like something out of 1999.  Two considerations, 1. your work should stand on its own without gimmicks and 2. if your customers cant see your page they are going to pass you by.

Ares
    Participant

To WCS: The first link was the main page, but due all you didn’t see the link to the photos (I don’t know why, it’s very easy, just click on “Portfolio Foto” and then on “Visitar”), I decided to put a link here to the gallery. The snapshots are to chose, when you chose the one to see it will appear in big (Flash is slow, I know).

To JCFindley: Thank you for your opinion. Like I said in a previous message, I’ve got a new template in HTML5, so I’ll put them better there.

To Brownie: Yeah, I agree with you on that. I feel that I take the typical nice photos, but they don’t have that “essence” that tells you a story or let your imagination fly. And about organizing them, yes, I’ll do it on the new template.

To Manual Mode: I’m going to repeat again, but the site will change to a new template in HTML5.

Thank you guys, but I still appreciate more comments on the photos (NOT the site, it will be changed, forget about that): If you think I have a good eye for this or not or whatever opinion!!

iliketag
    Participant

You may want to check your sight. It’s flagged by Trend Micro Titanium as unsafe. So I’m not clicking any further and many prospective clients will do the same.

nesgran
    Participant

My antivirus doesn’t complain but it might be something with the flash

To OP, do you really think it is wise to exclude a lot of people from watching your site? Many mobile units won’t run flash and lots of old browsers don’t do html5. Why not just a normal plain site in normal old skool coding?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.