Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography Opinions

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Intuition
    Participant

I ask for a lot of opinions haha. But no, I found this wedding photographer, who is stupid successful, and in no way do I think he’s a fauxtog, but I was just curious what others thing, I’m very on the fence, especially with the most recent blog post. But either way I just wanted to get a dialogue going about it 🙂

http://salcincotta.com/blog/

Bill
    Participant

Looks fine with the exception of no way to turn that stupid music off.  Bailed after 1 minute.

I don’t care if they have music on as long as there is an option to turn it off, couldn’t find one, so hence I bailed.

cameraclicker
    Participant

I suspect it would be rare to find a fauxtog that is shooting with a 1Dx.  Some skin seems overly smoothed but there is detail in the whites and blacks which is something else that seldom happens with fauxtogs.

I didn’t see any way to mute the music, except to press the mute button for my speaker system.

Bill
    Participant

Actually after realizing, I have him saved in my Photographer sites bookmarks.  The image with the Rolls Royce I thought was familiar. Definitely not bad, better when muted.

snaphappy
    Participant

Eh. I wouldn’t hire them.  The colors are just too weird to me.  I prefer a more natural look but that is just me.  And there are SO many crooked pictures that would be STUNNING if they were straight.  It seems so lazy to me.

Intuition
    Participant

The crooked images was what got me. He also presents his clients with 300 ( give or take) images to go through. He also (in certain packages) gives a disk of unedited images that they can print at walmart if they want ( his words). Now that be said, he’s stupid successful, but i find it fascinating that many of his practices are what we /facepalm at fauxtographers for doing, he just figured out how to do it successfully. He also outsources most of his post processing. What he does do right is sells really high end prints and albums, so that’s why he says he could care less about the disk, since he’s making it up with the extra prints. and or the 30,000 dollar wedding he kept talking about. (I’m watching a thing from creative live lol, wanted to see what it’s all about)

cameraclicker
    Participant

Are the images crooked, or keystoned?  Are they supposed to be the final images or just samples out of the camera and his customers get the edited files/prints after selecting the ones they like?

Bambi Cantrell claims she edits everything before a customer sees anything.  Jeff Cable edits a few, shows the customer everything worth looking at and edits the ones the customer picks.  His view is time is money and since he has a day job, he doesn’t have time for unnecessary editing.

If I recall, Cantrell also gives away a disk.  Her view is she billed them enough to cover it so if they print elsewhere, oh well.  Cable sells prints.  I think you can get a disk suitable for Facebook.

If he outsourced post, and the keystoned photos on his page have been through post, he needs a new retoucher.

Intuition
    Participant

The disk is supposedly ALL images shot, and as I understand it, untouched. You don’t get digital copies of his edited stuff. That you have to pay for, ala carte, or in his packages. To be fair you only get that with his ‘black label’ wedding package, which I believe (i’m trying to remember) was over 5 thousand dollars. On top of if they sell anything else on top of it.

The crooked images are on his blog, the first post, at least it was. They are too subtle for me to believe it was intentional, and it’s all architectural based, like bride and groom in from of a pretty buildings doors and stairs listing to the left.

He has much the same idea as Cantrell. He prefers not to print the smaller sizes at all. He charges 50 dollars for each 8×10, 5×7, or 4×6 to try and avoid it. Cause I don’t know many that would pay 50 dollars for a 4×6.

It’s an interesting business plan, and I see why it works, it’s just crazy and I find him so so. Better then me, but for that money, so so. He showed one images where he cut in a sky, or something, and it had some of the worst halos around the buildings. And that was done by his outsourced editors.

ebi
    Participant

so so is pretty dead on. The crooked images and over retouched images as well as just some bad edits turn me off.

snaphappy
    Participant

Took another look and a lot of them have a lot of iso grain. I wouldn’t have hired them. Nope.

nesgran
    Participant

Bloody hell, there isn’t a single straight photo in his blog. He is someone who really needs to get the new lightroom and its pretty damn good rotation and keystoning correction.

As for his images, I think they are quite good. I would however not hire him for my wedding. He seems completely incapable of keeping the shots having a similar overall look. He will have shots from the same wedding in b&w, sepia, desaturated and normal colour. That and the fact that the photos are tilted. I would hire him if he promised he’d keep the shots straight and the same colour throughout though. I’m a little surprised he uses a 1dx for weddings. It isn’t exactly a quiet or inconspicuous camera but I suppose there is no question who the hired tog is.

cameraclicker
    Participant

Definitely not inconspicuous, and less so with a big white lens attached.  However, it has Silent Single Shooting mode, which is pretty quiet.  It is much less intrusive than the shutter on my Rebel T2i.  The 1Ds Mk III and 5D Mk III also have that mode.  It separates the mirror slap and shutter sounds, plus being in a heavier weather sealed body doesn’t hurt.  Even in regular mode, it seems quieter than the smaller cameras.

The 1Dx is about a stop better than the 5D Mk III for high ISO noise, which in a dark church or reception hall may really be a blessing, though I chose the 5D Mk III for the smaller size, larger pixel count and lower price tag.  I don’t need it’s high frame rate, and auto-focus is the same, so I kept my 1Ds as a backup and got the 5D for when I need higher ISO and more ability than my Rebel.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.