Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? ok, flame suit on…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    momy2eight
    Participant

I’m not getting paid for anything.. I just enjoy taking pictures of my kids and want to do the best possible job.  All constructive critics welcome. (I can’t get any good tips for improvement because my family thinks all my images are great… they’re not!!! I need non biased opinions!!!!!!)

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

They are too small for a proper critique, can you re post some larger versions?

momy2eight
    Participant

[URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/momy2five/media/IMG_6471OCT13asaa_zps8382b5e7.jpg.html][IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/momy2five/IMG_6471OCT13asaa_zps8382b5e7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

momy2eight
    Participant

well crap. how do I make them bigger?

cameraclicker
    Participant

Interesting handle!  I don’t know if you are mother of 8 kids (or 7 kids plus a husband), or a 28 year old mom.  Or, just kidding.

No matter.  Your photos are too small and have no EXIF data.  They are also a little too bright and lacking a little contrast.  However, those are all pretty picky points.  Your family is correct.  If everything you are showing them is as good as these, keep doing what you are doing.  I looked at the third and last ones in Photoshop, I would pull exposure down about a quarter stop and add a little more contrast.  The first two look a little bright too.  Framing on the second could be better, the baby has half a foot (the right half of the left foot).

If you wanted to take the student photo another level, you might have under exposed the ambient a little more and added a small amount of flash for the student.  Doing that might mean more equipment and set-up time so you have to decide if you want to go down that road.  It would possibly pull a little more colour out of the stained glass window.

For photos of children, try getting even lower, though the twins at the farm is a nice environmental portrait.  Just add a little contrast and it should look great.

I’ve had that last baby looking at me while I’ve typed all of this!  I love the clear, bright, wet eyes.  It’s my favourite of the group.  The forehead and hat are too bright but not by a lot.

cameraclicker
    Participant

well crap. how do I make them bigger?

How did you make them small?  If you didn’t do it with an editor, PhotoBucket is doing it to you.  The ideal would be something around a thousand px wide.  In your editor, you can resize the photo, but start with the original and resize it smaller, resizing larger causes problems because the information has to come from somewhere and the software makes it up as it goes along if it doesn’t exist.

Many of us use Flickr because it accepts large photos and will let you access the original size.  If you copy a link from Flickr to a line by itself here, it will display a large thumbnail here.

momy2eight
    Participant

thank you for the critique.. yes, I used photobucket. I’ll set up a flickr account when I have a few more minutes. Sorry I am just coming back to this. The holidays happened, and well, it was nuts. Yes, I do have eight children. My oldest is in the military, and he and his wife have two little ones. My oldest daughter and her husband have a little one as well. (Thats her at the graduation a couple years ago)  I have six children still at home, so life is full, as you could imagine. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.