Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Not long ago i was up on this website getting bashed SUCK IT!! =)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Erika216
    Participant

The third photo in on your cover photo is not your best work.  I only poked for a second, but I was surprised to see that up there considering how many waaaay nicer shots stuck out to me.

amber
    Participant

I actually carried a long an umbrella and it broke =( so sad. my back up was at home but this was just a free friend session/ learning sessions. thank you!! I will take everything into consideration next go round!! =)

do you like this one

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=542317565821890&set=a.404254802961501.98058.229987970388186&type=1&permPage=1

cameraclicker
    Participant

Some things I like, and a couple of things I don’t.

The watermark is much less intrusive.  Pretty woman.  Exposure looks pretty good.  Got catch lights.  Nice shadow.  I’m not sure why she is pressing her hands against a wall with dried up ivy, but the colours and focus are good on the right two thirds.  In fact, if I cover up the left side with another window placed about the middle of her arm, it’s a really nice photo.  The problems I have with it are all on the left.

The main problem is the ball of light just left of her head.  That keeps dragging my eye away from her face.  If the whole background were blown out it would work better because there is no detail for the brain to work with, so it is discounted.  As it is, there is the round shape and pattern caused by the trees.  Being the brightest, that’s where the eye goes.

The second problem is that plant in the foreground.  It is out of focus and distracting.   It is carefully aligned to fit over her back and shoulder, so I suppose you could argue that you were doing the same sort of thing Doug Gordon advised in his video, to thin the bride by covering slabs of meat with the veil.  The subtle difference is the veil, or his hand, is part of her, or him, and supposed to be in the photo.  The plant is not.  The plant also has a brown spot hanging down which make it look like she has a large mole in the middle of her arm.

This is the original:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54048679@N07/10741639246/

How does that compare to an edited version?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54048679@N07/10741864783/

While they are in the photostream, you can click on the images to get to Flickr, then use the arrows to switch between them and see the changes.

A couple of final thoughts:

Her left eye looked strange, in the edited version, in addition to lightening the eye bags, I rebuilt the lower part of her iris.

Did you see in Doug Gordon’s video, the roll was one of his “rules”?  Her shoulders seem quite round.  This woman would have benefited from rolling her shoulder back, that would straighten her back and reduce the amount of exposed skin the camera sees, on her arm/back.

nesgran
    Participant

She doesn’t look happy or even comfortable with the shot. It is nice but her expression is off

amber
    Participant

she was actually standing on briers lol with no shoes. i would say she was uncomfortable but i just loved the lighting =) yes your edited version is 100% better! I tend to forget to take shadows away from under the eyes. I need to slow it down during editing. Ive been meaning to change that horrible cover now for months! Thanks for reminding me =) A couple of months ago i actually thought that was a decent photo haha!! oh lord!!! Learning!! seems crazy when i look where i started and where im at! just look! horrible right!!! Should I take these horrible images off my fb!?!?! lol probably!!!these belong on the front page!!!!!!  This was taken 2 years ago! i think ive come a long way!! sheww dont judge!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=235446599842323&set=a.235446209842362.64080.229987970388186&type=3&theater

ewww!

amber
    Participant

I decided to do a re edit of that photo. You took the time to show me so I thought I should see if i could make it better with my style of editing. Does this seem better? Thank you for all your advice! Im really trying to apply it to be a better photographer!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=570543422999304&set=a.236447879742195.64297.229987970388186&type=1&theater

amber
    Participant
    ebi
    Participant

can i just suggest that you get rid of your watermark completely? You don’t need it.

I also don’t mind the flare from the light. you should work more on posing. If you rotated this photo clockwise 90 degrees she’d look like she was holding the down position on a push up…but with incredible poise.

ebi
    Participant

in regards to your two wedding photographs: I wonder how much better they would have looked if you’d just shot them straight?

amber
    Participant

By straight what do you mean? like straight on? sorry if this is a stupid question 😉

amber
    Participant

no camera tilt? if so yes I did that alot back in the day!! no more!! lol i try not to

cameraclicker
    Participant

I don’t know if it is the result of editing, or if Facebook did something.  There seems to be artifacts around her nose and on her hand.

I find using the burn tool to reduce blown out areas tends to make them grey which looks dirty.  To your credit, the toning down of the bright ball looks pretty good.

Her left eye still looks odd to me.

I like it better than the original.  I tried rotating the original image, as Ebi suggested.  I get “Listening for the oncoming train”, except there are no tracks.  So, an over active imagination!

The second I saw https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=570545506332429&set=a.236447879742195.64297.229987970388186&type=1&theater, I thought “Oh, a mustachio like those Spanish guys with the thin swords!”  Sorry!  Not the reaction a bride would be looking for.  In addition to the tilt Ebi objected to, she looks overly smoothed.

The second one, in the car, also looks overly smoothed, and tilted.  There are times when tilt works really well, and other times it doesn’t.  In this instance, it  seems to emphasize her being squished into a box, whether that box is the car, or the frame.

ebi
    Participant

you shot straight on back in the day and now you tilt? I call it the college tilt. It’s what college art students do to make their shots interesting. It doesn’t work and is a big faux mistake. Shoot straight.

ebi
    Participant
    nesgran
    Participant

Not sure if it is facebook or what but her skin looks oversmoothed. Straight is also preferable

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.