Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? My favorite local fauxtog

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    blueeyes1128
    Participant

so i just need to use the 18-55 mm lens

fstopper89
    Participant

Ahh, @iliketag, I also first learned using “manual” (in quotes because it was kind of like digital manual) settings on a Canon Powershot A510! But you are mistaken, that one was the 3.2 megapixel version. The A520 was the 5 megapixel version. (Don’t ask how I remember that, but I am detail-oriented and I remember studying up on it before I got it) I received it for my 16th birthday and it was like the latest and greatest of point-and-shoots at the time. Honestly, I got some really awesome shots with that little camera, and I actually still have it buried in my desk drawer. I have not been able to bring myself to sell it (well, by now, 8 years later, it wouldn’t even be worth much for resale value). The Canon Elph I own now doesn’t even compare in versatility to that camera, and I hardly ever use it.

It’s not always the gear, it’s how you use it. Furthermore, gear can hinder your when your skills surpass that what is intended for the gear to cater to. When I bought my Rebel T2i secondhand, the guy also sold the 18-55 f/3.5-4.6 kit lens and the 55-250 f/4.0-5.6. They were both IS lenses, but pretty low quality. The 18-55 is sharper than the 55-250. I HATED how soft my images were with that lens, even though my shutter speed was fast enough and I was doing everything else seemingly right. Now I use those lenses just for when I go on nature excursions and want to take some nice photos, because nature shots are a bit more forgiving for the lack of clarity than portraits are. Or things like family events when I don’t want to lug around a heavy camera and lens. They are nice walk-around lenses. I also have a 40D that I bought secondhand, and a 5D Mark II that I bought secondhand off eBay. The only new gear I own is my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS lens, much cheaper than the Canon counterpart but a very nice lens for the value.

Even with a smaller aperture, like 5.6, you can achieve a creamy background, only if your focal length is longer. But, there’s always a downside- shooting from further away and zoomed in all the way risks camera shake affecting your focus and the longer distance can cause a lack of sharpness/clarity. Just things to think about.

blueeyes1128
    Participant

im redoing so pic for a family that i did on sunday because i chose to redo them and the reason is it poured rain and i told them it was going to rain but  they just had to have them done that day i was very unhappy with location and alot of the pics were a way to dark and i could not use them in any way and before i took them i told them the lighting was not even close to right but what do you do when they insist you do them anyway so really it was a waste of my time… and i have been reading and watching alot of stuff about photography because i know im not in any way that good and i tell all the people i do photo for that im new and dont know how to do alot of things so they know up front but i hope with time i get alot better at it

iliketag
    Participant

You know what, BEG, you are right! I was remembering the A520! I got it for my birthday later that year. I used that guy for so long and then retired it after my trip to India in 2010. It’s sitting on my desk right now. I love that little guy. So many cameras now don’t have a manual setting unless you get into the medium-higher end point and shoots. I used to encourage customers to learn manual all the time and try and show them the benefits in the store.

Blueeyes, I think you may want to reschedule… unless you’re fully confident you can deliver quality work. The other thing is you ought to change your “About Me” on your facebook page to reflect the fact that you are not a professional. As it stands currently, your page is misleading. I still see the postings saying that you are accepting slots for weekends as well.
    You should not be scheduling clients until you are ready to provide your best work to your clients. It’s what they deserve.

Currently, you should learn with what you have and if you’re going to invest in a lens, invest in a prime. A prime lens is one that does not zoom and is a fixed focal length. 50mm and 85mm lenses are great for portraits. Likewise, you could invest in a far more costly/high end telephoto in the future as well. No one here is expecting you to start out with the latest and greatest, but currently you are not equipped properly if you are only working with a kit lens. That’s why I recommend you stop taking paying customers immediately. You seriously run the risk of getting sued.

blueeyes1128
    Participant

if i do a paying shoot i don’t collect any money be they see the pics if they want them then ok if ot thats ok to I am doing another one this thursday or friday thats for free im using some friends of mine as subjects to get some practice on some new stuff im learning about

blueeyes1128
    Participant

what lens should i invest in

JCFindley
    Participant

If I could only afford one lens and was on a budget it would be the Canon 50mmf1.8. (and I have been there and this is the lens I bought)

It is cheap. It will not last all that long as the construction is plastic. But, it will take some tack sharp images when stepped up just a bit. (f4 and above especially)

Just slightly over 100 bucks.

blueeyes1128
    Participant

now with that lens do you have to be close up to do photos with it

blueeyes1128
    Participant

JCFindley
    Participant

With a crop sensor that will give you the equivalent of an 80mm lens which is pretty close to “perfect” portrait length glass. (Which if I recall is 85-100 as the magic focal lengths)

You will need to be relatively close. If you have a little more to invest, the 50mm f1.4 will give sharper images wide open without stepping up

blueeyes1128
    Participant

ok i will look into getting one or both of them to see what happen with them

JCFindley
    Participant

No need for both as they will give you the same view; one is just a little more expensive and higher quality than the other.

I am sure some of the more experienced portrait types will be by with their recommendations as well shortly.

blueeyes1128
    Participant

with the lens i have should i use auto focus i have always used manual focus on it

blueeyes1128
    Participant

who all on here has a fb page

picarusslim
    Participant

It depends what youre shooting whether you use auto or manual Focus. If im taking my time i will use manual of i need to be quick, say for a fleeting street shot ill use auto on Af-c.

My flickr Page is posted in the photography showcase thread.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 109 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.