Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? My favorite local fauxtog

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    blueeyes1128
    Participant

ok lens what lens should i be using i have the 55 and the 75 and the camera i have is a canon t3i

fstopper89
    Participant

Well said, iliketag, and I agree with what Sarah says. If a person approached me and said “Hey, I want you to make just the flower here look red and the rest of it gray” I would probably say that I prefer to not do selective coloring like that since it’s a fad that is no longer popular (not to mention I don’t know why it ever was, different subject…) and if they REALLY persisted, I’d give them the normal edit and then the selective color one but not post it in my portfolio. Last summer a senior boy’s mom asked me to change the color of the stucco wall of a building that was the background. It was a cream color, and she wanted to see it in blue and then in green. I reluctantly did it and showed her. Needless to say she did not ask for those photos. Ha! It just looked stupid! Generally, a person is going to hire me because they’ve seen my work and like my style. They’re not going to ask me to change it.

On the accent thing… lol. I haven’t heard the British term “pants” meaning underwear. I also didn’t know “knickers” was only for women’s underwear. I do say “bubbler” though, and I love confusing people from different regions with that one. “White soda” is anything clear, sweet, and carbonated, usually citrus-flavored (like 7-Up or Sprite). When my mom was a kid, however, they called soda, “soda pop.” Most people here say “soda” now. I worked with a lady from Tennessee and she has lived here for 7 years and still has a perfect southern accent. Most people lose it after awhile. My friend had a job in TN for about a year and when he came back to WI he sounded like he was from the south! I love southern accents, especially my country music, but I don’t like “redneck” accents (like the people on Here Comes Honey-Boo-Boo). There is a difference in my opinion.

I don’t know how that person said everyone in WI is fat… lol. Sure there are plenty but not everyone. Mostly when you walk into a Walmart.

fstopper89
    Participant

Blue eyes, what lenses are those? What does it say around the ring, and what brand are the lenses? The T3i is an entry-level camera, it doesn’t handle low light well, but with the right lenses you can get some really good shots.

Thom
    Participant

Blueeyes…it’s not the lens. Go to an art museum. Observe paintings. Look at drawings. Forget technology for a little bit.

blueeyes1128
    Participant

browneyedgirl89 they say canon ef 75-300 mm f/4 5.6 III

and the other is a Canon efs 18-55 mm

blueeyes1128
    Participant

I also have the Digital vision .45xwide angle 58mm thread lens and Digital vision 2x telephoto lens 58mm thread

cameraclicker
    Participant

Blueeyes1128, the EF-S 18-55 comes in two flavours.  The newer version has image stabilization, the older does not.  I have not tried the new version.  I got the older version as part of a 30D kit in 2006.  It is quite acceptable for what it is.  I rarely use it but I take it as a spare lens in my checked bag when travelling with crop sensor bodies.   At the same time I got the EF-S 75-300 f/4-5.6 III, which was so bad I took it back a couple of days later and replaced it with an EF 70-200 f/4 L.  The salesman who took it back said it was a “Red Box Lens” and that I would never be satisfied by it regardless of the number of them we went through, so his recommendation was the more expensive L lens, which is not as long but is a much better lens.   If the EF-S 75-300 f/4-5.6 III, could not deliver acceptable sharpness with an 8 Mpx 30D body, it is not going to deliver it with an 18 Mpx T3i body.

Do the Digital vision lenses screw into the filter thread of your 18-55?

The hardware is advancing all the time.  While BrowEyedGirl89 is mostly correct in saying “

The T3i is an entry-level camera, it doesn’t handle low light well, but with the right lenses you can get some really good shots

“, I will observe it is the successor to the T2i that I have, and in low light it is as good or better than a Canon 1Ds Mk III, which was the flagship body until the 1Dx was introduced. While it may not be as good as a 5D Mk III or 1Dx, it is more than adequate for most photography.

I think Thom’s advice is good. You need to have an idea of what you want to take, of composition, of lighting and of posing. An art gallery is a good place to get that. The other thing you need to do is read your camera manual and play with your camera until you understand what the manual is trying to tell you. Only once you know what the controls do will you be able to get the most from your very capable camera. For now concentrate on your 18-55 lens, it is the best one you have. Good glass is expensive, postpone upgrading until you figure out what you want to shoot, then be guided accordingly.

blueeyes1128
    Participant

yes the two lens screw into the filter thread and the two lens that i have do have image stabilization on them

cameraclicker
    Participant

I have not tried the Digital vision lenses, so I can’t comment on them.  I use a teleconverter that mounts on the body when I want to have a lens appear longer than it is, and on a crop body, a 10-20 mm lens when I want a really wide angle lens.  10 mm gives an angle of view of about 90 degrees on a crop body, the same as 16 mm on a full frame body.

Your T3i has a “flash commander mode”, it can fire some flashes while they are off camera.  Compatible flashes include the Canon 430 EX II, 580 EX II and 600 EX RT/600 EX.

Another piece of hardware worth having is a tripod.

blueeyes1128
    Participant

I have a tripod and a another flash for the camera

blueeyes1128
    Participant

the only thing i have used is the 75-300 mm f/4 5.6 III and the  Canon efs 18-55 mm

blueeyes1128
    Participant

when i bought the camera it came with all the lens i listed a table tri pod and regular tri pod and cleaning kit and the extra flash and extra battery and charger a a 16 gig card

cameraclicker
    Participant

What flash did you get?

Try photographing a white egg on a sheet of white paper.  Check here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qM7CcUrUD2g

blueeyes1128
    Participant

it came with a flash that says Digital camera flash XTCF1 not sure of anything about it i thinks its just a cheap flash i havent even used it

iliketag
    Participant

Ok, ok. I’m about to make myself pretty vulnerable here. I have not shared any of my work publicly here yet and I think only BrownEyedGirl has seen anything of mine.

After I failed miserably at shooting film my freshman year of high school, I took a digital class. I began learning manual settings on a Canon Powershot A510, 5 megapixel point and shoot camera. My first DSLR (though it belonged to my mother, I just commandeered it all the time) was a Canon Rebel XTi. That’s nearly four generations older than your T3i. We picked it up in 2005, secondhand, off of Craigslist. I began to learn and discovered the power of shooting in RAW.

I purchased my own, first camera, in 2011. A Canon Rebel T3i.
    I bought it where I work, on Black Friday. I picked up a 55-250mm f/3.5-5.6 IS telephoto lens with it. A month later, for our year anniversary, my boyfriend bought me a 50mm f/1.8 II lens. That lens didn’t leave my camera for roughly four months. It’s what I shot these photos with:

J jwdpi V
    J jwdpi II
    (Bear in mind, these were edited by my subject, Jake. I have misplaced my hard drive with my copy of the raws – so these don’t contain my EXIF data until I track down and wade through two terabytes of photos… yes, I suck at organization)

Canon Rebel T3i and a $120 50mm f/1.8.

You can take great photos with basic equipment. You need to have an understanding of both your camera AND composition.
    These are images I am happy with. They are not perfect, but they are a higher quality than several fauxtographers deliver… oh, and every time I get together with Jake for a shoot? He pays me nothing.

Right now, work with your kit lens. If you don’t find that you need zoom very often, sell the 75-300. It is not stabilized. I have sold this stuff for three years, trust me. Your kit is a good place to start if you’re not ready to buy a “nifty fifty” (the 50mm f/1.8 prime lens).
    Here is a good article that can help you a little with the capabilities of your current setup:

Why your Kit Lens is Better than You Think

Will it give you a soft, creamy background? No. Not with those apertures… but it’s a good place to learn. AND, the recommendation of spending a day with it on, say, 50mm, will help you become acquainted with that focal length.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 109 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.