Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? My favorite local fauxtog

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    OctoberMoon
    Participant
    fstopper89
    Participant

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=572820176082183&set=a.572820126082188.1073741840.561775373853330&type=1&theater

Ugh, bad outfit choices, selective color, huge tree growing out of their heads, awkward position of the frame…

People are commenting that she does beautiful work. Are they blind?

iliketag
    Participant

Didn’t you guys know? Putting a vignette on it makes it legit!

dont.care
    Participant

I’d equate those photos to something akin to what a Nintendo DS-I would capture. Especially with those fancy ‘creative features’ it comes with!

burry75
    Participant

Photography  is GREAT!!!

PhotoDon
    Participant

Browneyedgirl, they’re from Northern Georgia. These are folks who think “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo” is high culture, are still mad about the “War of Northern Aggression” and think NASCAR should be an Olympic sport. Of course they’re going to think those crappy photos are wonderful.

dont.care
    Participant

PhotoDon, I’m from S.E. Georgia, I think those photos are absolute shit, and I was born and raised in the South. Also, I hate NASCAR. While I’m at it, I might as well mention that the ‘CIVIL WAR’, has many discrepancies. We all know, that the victor usually writes history. Albeit, both sides were probably not innocent.  As far as a Honey Boo Boo, I have no fucking idea what that even is.  My wife is from Michigan, I’ve seen rednecks from there that make ours look like damsels. So please, keep your stereotypes about ‘Southerners’ to a minimum.

iliketag
    Participant

The real problem here is clients that don’t know better.
    They think “Ok, this is cheap and I want pictures done.”, they see the least expensive photographer that takes a “nice picture” (again, they don’t necessarily know any better) and they roll with it.

There are clients who do research and those who don’t. The client doing the research with an understanding of value, is not the same as those who are just looking for cheap (in every sense of the word) pictures.
    The client doing research may be lucky enough to stumble upon a talented up-and-comer looking to portfolio build for a really small holding fee (when I see these it’s normally to cover gas – so it’s like, 20 dollars) or even free… but the client who foregoes the research hears either by word of mouth, or minimal searching online to find their photographer.
    In small towns, word of mouth is a powerful tool. There’s always someone out there with a relationship with the fauxtog talking them up, it’s the whole I-love-the-photos-because-I-love-*name* situation. It will often yield poor results.

Educating clients is not always easy. Those who are used to the walmart/kiddie candids/montgomery wards photo studios will not necessarily understand the value of “Custom Photography” when they see what the price tag is. It’s the same kind of thing I’ve encountered in retail – a customer doesn’t know what they don’t know. It’s a very simple sounding problem but it creates a lot of confusion. A client doesn’t understand the difference unless you break it down into laymens terms. This can be pretty difficult at times… and showing your photo vs. a photo from joe-down-the-street may come off as catty if taken out of context. We understand value because we’ve studied it, so it can be hard to convey that when the budget walls go up.

I feel kind of bad for the fauxtographers… they don’t necesarily know that they’re as bad as they are! With all the facebook likes and words of praise from friends and family, it’s hard to see where you need to improve. I’m sure more than a handful become complacent.

cass335
    Participant

@iliketag Wow..haven’t heard the name Montgomery Wards in forever!  =)

As for that type of photography, I used to work at a JCP studio.  It was before I had my own business, and I think it helped me become more confident in working with clients. I used to be really shy. It really helped bring me out of my shell. But…it is very limited photography. I am glad I don’t work there anymore, because I definitely needed to do my own thing. But I can’t say I didn’t learn anything.

dont.care
    Participant

What’s even funnier is when they try to get these photos printed, HA. I wonder how many Labs receive a batch of fauxtog photos and are immediately like, WTF. Of course, I don’t think these people use a lab, but rather Wal-Mart.. O_o, I digress….

fstopper89
    Participant

I don’t know about you guys, but even when I was pretty young (teens) and before I really got into portraiture, I could just see a good photo vs. a not so good photo. But, I always have had an artistic eye so  maybe people who aren’t into art just don’t see it.

JanJan
    Participant
    Thom
    Participant

I agree with everything iliketag wrote. The shooter may not have the resources to make the images pop. Nor does he have the subjects/model pools to do so. So I think a lot of these gimmicks are born from distracting you from the real issue. Poor framing and posing. From what I saw, he deals with a lot of people who are really uncomfortable in front of the camera.

picarusslim
    Participant

Wow!  How much do they charge and where’s my phone?

blueeyes1128
    Participant

I don’t appreciate yall running my name in the ground if you don’t like my photo’s then don’t look at them I know most of the people I have took photos of and I do what they want me to do I never said i was a professional yall all act like your just perfect!!!! Im not out for money this is just a hobby something to do I have a disabled husband and I just try to do something fun every once in a while is that a crime!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 109 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.