Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Might as well….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Daniea
    Participant

I pray my work doesn’t remind you of a fauxtographer but who knows. I know im not the best photographer but I am am always learning and applying new techniques and equiptment. I would love some honest… hopefully not too harch critiques that will help me improve. Thanks so much.

http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/RebelRider911/library/Portfolio

cameraclicker
    Participant

Embrace shadows.

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

If you are charging for your photography then you are probably are a FAUX, but I would say that it’s a close call. You have some good ideas and many of your pics just need to be processed properly. At the moment most of them look straight out of the camera. I’m guessing to don’t have any kind of calibrated set up, as everything looks dark on my screens (which are calibrated).

IHF
    Participant

Yeah, too dark, and color seems kinda off as well. Have you printed at all? Just looks to me like most of these wouldn’t print very well. Your black and whites especially. They are muddy and strange. I look through and think “what about light?” There’s no real good use of light, or much thought put into it at all. Kind of like you have an idea and then shoot at 2:00pm where ever.
    Judging by what you gave us to look at… If you’re in business, you’re a faux.

IHF
    Participant

Just checked out your Facebook and website.  I think you might find these links helpful

http://www.themoderntog.com/affordable-profitable-photographer

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=154088631105

Daniea
    Participant

actually they print out beautifully, I was having calibration problems with my old labtop which is where most of these came from. I dont post 95% of my clients photos. These are simply fun ones that I like.

Daniea
    Participant

Thankyou for the honest opinions, I checked out those links thankyou. I shoot in manual generally at the golden hour if I can, I will print out some more and see if my new laptop needs to be re calibrated as well to insure newer work isn’t darkened. I dont want to be any form of faux I on;y do this because I love it and am proud of my images so I am willing to learn all I can. It has gottent to the point where I have alot of repeat clients and I can’t afford to not charge anymore you know…

IHF
    Participant

if most of those shots were taken during golden hour, you don’t have a handle on how to use it properly.  Dappled light, harsh shadows, lost of detail, squinting etc…

I just assumed you charged with the way you are marketing yourself.  Even your blog post says something about a prosperous new year for your business and what not, and I saw an ad for $25 minis (not that that’s charging, but it’s why I linked for you)

It may prove to be very difficult to price to be profitable after giving your services away for free, and without the quality of your work being higher.  Usually when people are shooting for free they don’t advertise/market, so they don’t shoot themselves in their own foot.

I notice too that it doesn’t seem that you are selecting your focus and instead having the camera select where the focus lies.  Look up in your manual how to select your AF point/points and get that focus nailed.  Lot’s of blurry faces and blurry eyes in your port.  I hope that helps

Daniea
    Participant

Thankyou for your honesty, my website is brand new as of like three days ago, I have been asking for money to cover gas for awhile and I didn’t want to get in trouble with the IRS so I got a buisness license and all that. As alot of these images are old, and I don’t use my clients proofs for marketing 98% of the time I use images from free sessions in the past, I understand where you are coming from. Thankyou again.

IHF
    Participant

Thank you for not getting angry with me/us.   Receiving criticism can be very difficult.  You handled things like a champ.  I wish you the best, and I hope you are able to easily sort out your problems and start to take on even more challenges.  Enjoy the ride 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.