Home Forums Photography Showcase Looking for advice

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    nesgran
    Participant

I think it depends a lot as well what kind of critique you are expecting. If you are expecting to get showered in praise and end up getting your pictures ripped apart completely then I doubt you will get as much use out of the critique as you otherwise would have. So much is down to expectations, trust me. A large part of my day job consists of managing expectations and often it is impossible

iliketag
    Participant

That’s one thing I’m learning about and have forced myself to expect lately: Someone will always find a “flaw”. It may not even be a flaw, per se, but something to improve on or something that fits a certain taste that would make it stellar in that market but isn’t my cup of tea.

I try to be really objective about my work but it is hard sometimes. I really want someone to tell me I did well. I also want honesty, so it can be real difficult at times.
    When I critique something, I usually try to be polite, complimenting on the strengths of the image as well as discussing the places where improvements could be made… however… people have a tendency to be nasty and I sometimes get a little mean. Unrelated to their work, though… the last guy insulted me personally, I called him a douche and blocked him >.<

IHF
    Participant

Nesgran, so true.

Sometimes I think being “nice” isn’t nice at all.  Ya know like the whole American idol syndrome.  family and friends telling someone they are a fabulous singer their whole life, only to find out that they are tone deaf, and get told by Simon “Don’t quit your day job”.

There are so many “nice” critique forums/pages popping up out there, with all kinds of rules and regs.  like “No talking about business” They will even go so far as to ban a user if they hurt someones feelings, by being too blunt (and no, I’ve never been banned from a forum like that lol).  Most are started as a way to market to the masses, so I see why they NEED things to stay “nice”, but… how nice is it really?!  Keeping people in the dark like that?  All I know is I’m really glad I have “mean” people in my life 🙂

Speaking of which.  People here at YANAP might be interested in this.  I know I plan on using it when the time comes.  Right now I’m still learning my new camera (I dumped my dslr and went mirrorless) , and it’s little quirks.  But, soon I’ll have this puppy down, and be ready to create, and get going on the good stuff.

How to Get Genuine Feedback On Your Photographs

Think I should make a new thread just to talk about it?  I’ve been tempted, because I find it exciting and I LOVE the idea.

emf
    Participant

I’m really enjoying your links IHF! I know I’m a noob here but I have a fine art and teaching backgound so am used to critiques – I know it’s the best way to learn. That is what is so good about this site, actual real meaty crits rather than the usual, ‘awesome capture’ and ‘wow, the colours really POP!!

I’m seeing though people comparing themselves to other bad photographers, and saying well, my stuff is better than that, so it can’t be that bad. If people pay for those then they should pay for mine etc. When really they should be looking at good work and comparing themselves to that, and then striving to produce work of that standard.

ebi
    Participant

what do i think?

It’s absolute shit from top to bottom.

Advice?

Do something else beside photography. You belong on the front page.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.