Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum Lightroom/Canon 5D Mark III

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rosebud
    Participant

I just bought a Canon 5d Mark III, I have been using a Canon 7D in the past. I put my memory card in a reader and loaded the Raw images in a folder went to Lightroom to import them like I always do and it came up this message

Some import operations were not performed.

These files are from a camera which is not recognized by the raw format support in Lightroom.

Please check for updates, which I did and there is none.

My lightroom is 3.6. So does anybody know if I buy Lightroom 5 upgrade if that will make it compatible with my new Canon 5D or if it is another problem.

cameraclicker
    Participant

Almost every camera model’s raw file is different.  There is a file that can be updated, but sometimes Adobe decides you have to move forward and they don’t put the necessary stuff in the older files, for your new camera.

Getting the latest version will solve your problem with the 5D Mk III.  I’m still using Photoshop CS5 and have a working update file for my 5D Mk III.  It also works with CS6 and CC.

picstop
    Participant

The problem is with camera raw. Adobe updates their raw processor according to what cameras existed at the time their software was written. So obviously the 5D3 did not exist when the raw engine for LR3.6 came out. By the time the 5D3 came to market, LR had gone to a newer version and previous ones do not get the new raw engines. So, you either buy a newer version of LR, or use the DNG converter. I would go with option 1. LR5 does indeed support the 5D3 and also has a newer, better processing engine that 3.6. I use a pair of 5D3 cameras in my wedding photography business and used to use PS CS5 and quickly upgraded to CS6. The better raw conversion was worth it. I’ve stuck with CS6 over the cloud though as it still meets my needs. Enjoy the camera and the updated software. You will be amazed at the difference of the better camera along with the processing engine.

nesgran
    Participant

going from lightroom 3 to 5 is definitely worth it. The images will come out better and the new tools are very useful not to mention it will support your current camera

Dudley
    Participant

Lightroom 5 will handle the 5D just fine.   Much improved over 3/4 you will like it.

photosbytw
    Participant

Rosebud,

I feel your pain………………..I was happily cruising along with my Canon 5d ii using a pc with the OS Windows Vista with LR 3. Life couldn’t have been better.

But………….evil struck. I was offered a deal on a new 5d iii, A GOOD DEAL!! I couldn’t refuse. So $2’576.23 later I had a new and great camera.

Like you, the first time I tried to use LR….it wouldn’t recognize the files!! I called my Canon rep to ask what gives? Short answer, I would have to upgrade to LR 5!! Okay, WTH ! A little more cash  than I expected to spend, but……………………………

I immediately started having trouble down loading the upgrade………it wouldn’t????????

I called my Adobe rep and was promptly informed that the OS Vista  was not able to support LR 5!!!!!!!!!!!!

$%^#@*&!! I made the final sacrifice and bought the 27″ iMac and all the extras needed to put myself back where I was………………..

Now, not only do I have to familiarize myself to a new camera, I have get up to speed with LR5.7 and relearn how to use a computer with a completely different operating system!!!!!!!

(Sigh)

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

why an iMac? If you’ve got cash to burn, go for the Mac Pro. Not that much difference in price, plus it can grow with you, while the iMac is not easy to upgrade.

fstopper89
    Participant

Yep, Lightroom 4 will even recognize the files from the 5DIII. That’s what I’m using. If you don’t want to upgrade, you can do an extra step: Download the DNG converter (for free) from Adobe’s website. You’ll have to first manually copy and paste the files from your camera to a location on your computer’s hard drive. Then, run them through the DNG converter. DNG is a “universal” RAW format and makes any RAW files backwards/forwards compatible with new or old versions of RAW-reading software. Once you convert the files to DNG, you can import them to your Lightroom library and they’ll behave just the same. DNG files are nice because they don’t give you those “sidecar” XMP files that normally show up alongside your .CR2 RAW files. No degradation of quality or edit-ability occurs when converting to DNG. Before I upgraded to Lightroom 4, I use the converter for a few sessions. Now, I actually copy all my RAW files as DNG right away upon import anyway. So I can say DNG is a perfectly good option.

rasha
    Participant

Once you convert the files to DNG, you can import them to your Lightroom library and they’ll behave just the same. DNG files are nice because they don’t give you those “sidecar” XMP files that normally show up alongside your .CR2 RAW files.

rasha
    Participant

Once you convert the files to DNG, you can import them to your Lightroom library and they’ll behave just the same. DNG files are nice because they don’t give you those “sidecar” XMP files that normally show up alongside your .CR2 RAW files.

alfredalfred
    Participant

I’ve stuck with CS6 over the cloud though as it still meets my needs. Enjoy the camera and the updated software. You will be amazed at the difference of the better camera along with the processing engine.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.