Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Learning, curious to see how I'm doing

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    MrsManiak
    Participant

Thanks for the pointers cameraclicker. In the portrait photo, it felt awkward to cradle the lens with the extra weight of the flash, so I was trying to find a middle ground. Likely just me being overly-anxious, which I tend to do. I do have a question about the paper wrap, I feel like if I have any DIY type stuff it may reflect on my friend badly, would guests even notice something like that?

Also in the time from my first post and now, I went for a walk with my photog friend. Upon voicing my concerns, I found out I mostly won’t be using my own equipment when assisting her. I will be using my own camera, with her old D5000 as a backup (since it’s similar to what I’m familiar with), and she has several lenses as well as flashes she already planned on having me use. Also she’s going to take me to the venue to get an idea of lighting several days in advance (she’s familiar with it, I’m not). She’s also good friends with the wedding planner, so she will be present if I have any questions. So I have some anxiety relief at least 🙂

nesgran
    Participant

most flashes will have a bounce card built in so they will look the business.

Try to get used to handling a big camera, big lens and big flash combo as you will be grateful for it by the end of the evening. Most of the weight should be on your left hand with the right hand really only offering balance. If you don’t do this your wrists will hurt. You need to be holding on to the lens though instead of the flash as how else are you going to work the lens? With the lens in portrait position I generally angle it to bounce off the ceiling however if you can bounce off walls that generally gives a better quality of light as it comes from the side.

Don’t worry about the yongnuo flashes, they are good things and while they probably aren’t as reliable as the canikon equivalent you can fit three in your bag and still have money left over for batteries (sanyo eneloops is my suggestion). I have several YN flashes myself. A TTL flash for events is a much better idea though and never forget you very rarely want it pointing straight at people.

Good luck, it sounds like you have an excellent friend to help you out with this

cameraclicker
    Participant

Having a grip that keeps the camera as stable as possible is what’s important.  I tried a 600 EX RT flash on a couple of bodies and settled on a 5D Mk III since that is the shape of the camera in your photos (no battery grip), and the 600 is the largest and heaviest flash I have.

2014-08-24_18-37-20_322C9289

Keeping in mind that at 6 feet and 200 lbs, I’m fairly big, I felt the camera balanced reasonably well.  The heel of my lower palm is supporting the corner by the flash while my upper hand is lifting at the top of the camera near the shutter release and pressing down at the camera right side to keep everything from rotating.  That leaves my left hand fingers free to zoom or focus, my right index finger free for the shutter and my thumb free to rotate the command dial on the camera’s back.

No one has ever commented on paper around the flash.  I doubt most people even notice.  Anyway, it is the results that matter and it is a trick that works pretty well.   All my Canon flashes have a wide angle diffuser and a white bounce card built in.  the paper is larger pointing in the right direction when the head is rotated.   If you want a commercial product, you could use a Gary Phong Light Sphere which is about $80, here, and is inconvenient to fit into a camera bag compared to an elastic and a sheet of paper from a square note pad.

Having a couple of bodies with different lenses is a big help.  You spend less time changing lenses as you can let one camera hang on a strap and use the other if the lens is more suitable to the shot.  It sounds like your friend is well equipped.  Get in as much practice as you can so you are familiar with the gear and can concentrate on the photos instead of the gear.

DevC
    Participant

You aren’t charging. Therefore you cannot be a fauxtographer. You are a hobbyist (you claimed it).

Eitherway, i find mixed work between your profile. Some really good/ some mixed/some bad.

MrsManiak
    Participant

Hey guys, I figured I’d give you guys an update on my progress. I’m still nowhere near ready to charge people, but I’ve come a long way since I first picked up my camera a year ago.

Progress

The one on the left was taken last year on NYE, the one on the right last night. Unfortunately due to hard drive failure, all I had of the one from last year was web sized, so I apologize for the size. But I’m very proud of my progress and wanted to say thank you all.. and here’s to continuing growth for the new year!!

nesgran
    Participant

You’re coming on in leaps and bounds! Well done, everything looks a lot better. I also love to see how the dog is growing and I’d suggest you make a triptych out of the three dog photos. On their own they are just a dog with pretty eyes but the three of them together is telling a story of it growing.

Your portrait composition is still a little off, in general don’t photograph adults from below unless you want them to look imposing and don’t shoot kids from above. I would suggest you google the great masters like vermeer or rembrandt for ideas for composition of portraits.

Again, well done! I hope we get a progress report by the summer again

MrsManiak
    Participant

Thanks Nesgran! Will definitely continue to work on portrait composition (as well as the technical side) and post another progress report! I’m glad I found this site and didn’t solely rely on friends and family. They “loved” the photo from last year, and when I look at it now I think I could do better with my cell phone haha

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.