Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography Instagrams

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    soaringturkeys
    Participant

Do you guys have instagram? I love seeing other peoples instagrams. It gives a little bit more backstory behind the photographers.

If so, lets start a collection of instagrams for people to check out and follow!

I just started mine a week ago

<a href=”http://instagram.com/carbonjournal”&gt; @Carbonjournal </a>

cameraclicker
    Participant

Try this link:

http://instagram.com/carbonjournal#

Did you read the Instagram Terms of Service?

cameraclicker
    Participant

Instagram  terms say:
    1. Instagram does not claim ownership of any Content that you post on or through the Service. Instead, you hereby grant to Instagram a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide license to use the Content that you post on or through the Service, subject to the Service’s Privacy Policy, available here http://instagram.com/legal/privacy/, including but not limited to sections 3 (“Sharing of Your Information”), 4 (“How We Store Your Information”), and 5 (“Your Choices About Your Information”). You can choose who can view your Content and activities, including your photos, as described in the Privacy Policy.

4. You represent and warrant that: (i) you own the Content posted by you on or through the Service or otherwise have the right to grant the rights and licenses set forth in these Terms of Use; (ii) the posting and use of your Content on or through the Service does not violate, misappropriate or infringe on the rights of any third party, including, without limitation, privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, trademark and/or other intellectual property rights; (iii) you agree to pay for all royalties, fees, and any other monies owed by reason of Content you post on or through the Service; and (iv) you have the legal right and capacity to enter into these Terms of Use in your jurisdiction.

So, they give themselves the right to sub-license your photos, and if their sub-licensee is sued because there is no model release, you are on the hook for the judgement.  But, you don’t get the money from sub-licensing, Instagram does.

Have a nice day…

soaringturkeys
    Participant

i did. to be honest I don’t really care. I take on average 16gigs of photos per week.

They own rights to the 1080×1080 photo I give them and that’s fine.  I’m not trying to sell prints or photos.

I sell myself as a photographer offering services and instagram does that well – especially on my other instagram. The marketing & promotion I’ve gotten from that has been phenomenal and has made everything worth it.

cameraclicker
    Participant

If you say so.  Flickr has started introducing ads into the viewer’s stream.  You look at a couple of photos, then you get an ad, which has a lower resolution than what you are posting.  If your photo turned up in one of those ads, and your model sued Flickr, you would be on the hook.  Just sayin’

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

no worries, CC!

He takes 16gigs of 1080 x 1080 resolution photos every week! He sells himself as a photographer offering services and instagram does that well! Plus, the marketing & promotion he’s gotten from that has been phenomenal and has made everything worth it!

It’s lager time, guys! All his money from “prof photography” was invested with Bernard Madoff. He’s SET!!

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

I’m starting a club where the main activity is sweeping sunshine off the roof if anyone needs a hand with their technique I’ll be stopping by this site every so often to give you pointers – I like watching people sweep.

I do really good sweeping for this neat club called Tweeterest that have launched me to higher place!

soaringturkeys
    Participant

Lol I love the hostility of this website! So many defensive people.

In this day and age, marketing and using popular online platforms will give you an edge as a photographer. Instagram is used by many professional photographers and agencies. But I take it too many people here are perpetually frightened at the thought of showing off their photos. I sense a little bit of insecurity but sure lol.

and if you want me to match your hostility, I’ll just say this.

If you are a professional then you don’t care about that one photo or having rights to that one small photo. If you are successful then you couldn’t care less that one company would have some rights to a low res photo.

and if you are honest with yourself, noone actually cares about your photos enough for them to make a fuss about it.

cameraclicker
    Participant

I’m not sure hostile is the right word.

This is the part the lawyers don’t like:

(iii) you agree to pay for all royalties, fees, and any other monies owed by reason of Content you post on or through the Service;

I’m just the messenger.  I’m trying to keep you informed.  Perhaps no one will be interested in your low res photos, and that is fine.  But if you happen to post one that someone does notice, and it is licensed by Instagram, then subsequently someone is sued.  You are on the hook for the judgment even though you had no input regarding use of your photo, received no payment and were not a party to the court action.

A model release may minimize damage, but it would have to be an all encompassing release, and in the perverse world of US courts, you may need other releases as well since the parties involved may not make much effort to defend your rights since you are on the hook anyway due to the Instagram Terms of Service.

I’m addressing your thread, but I am also speaking to  all of those who happen upon your thread, who may not be posting low res photos that no one will look at, and who may have enough resources to make a lawsuit worthwhile.

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

@soaringturkeys, you should read “How to make friends and influence people” by Dale Carnegie before posting things such as

This forum isn’t very lively so I’ll come back here every so often! Show me your stuff and I’ll provide you with some advice

In general, human beings prefer not to be TOLD by a critic that his / her advice is valuable. Let your critiques, should you choose to provide any, stand on their own merits WHEN INVITED.

nairbynairb
    Participant

My Instagram isn’t for my photography, but rather for pictures of my ridiculously crazy/adorable daughter.

In my opinion, Instagram should only be used for photos taken with the device that you use instagram on (phones, tablets…)

Of course you get likes from posting great DSLR-quality photos on there in a sea of crappy cell-phone quality photos.

IHF
    Participant

I don’t really play with instagram anymore.  I used to use it to update family and friends and share silliness, but now that most of my family has apple products I use Apple’s photo stream instead.  It’s more private.  Friends without apple?  I connect with them on Facebook or chat with IM or texts.  I’d share my instagram but I doubt any of you would be interested in what I ate months ago, my kids craziness, or how cute my dog sleeps lol  Sharing my photographs on insatgram and getting likes isn’t going to sell my work.  If you can convince me otherwise I might consider it… but, it’s going to take a lot of convincing lol

I usually don’t share my Facebook or 500px, flickr  or what have you here, unless I’ve asked for advice, or been told something like “Let me see your work, if mine is so bad” in the hopes seeing my photos will somehow make their photos and feedback they received here somehow better.  The times I have shared, I had to take it down, because I got a whole bunch of empty stupid “I liked your photography, now go like mine” crap going on.  I’m sure you will score some likes by posting this, just not from me.  This isn’t personal… It’s just I don’t know you, and I’m not really all that interested in your genre, and I don’t have a need for your services, and if you returned the favor and “like” my photography, What would be the point unless you were actually interested in what I do? and that’s very doubtful.

As far as your generous offer of your time to critique my photography… It’s pretty much a given that if anyone posts their work here they will get feedback, even yours if you have the time to give it.  (Go ahead and go through some “I’m I a faux tog” posts and add your two cents to them.  Didn’t you once make a post about disagreeing with some critiques that were given?  I could be mistaken, maybe it wasn’t you, but if so… Go back to them and correct what you feel was wrongly said if you are looking to give your time and advice) Yes, hasn’t been too active lately here, but give it time… it’ll happen.  Until then, by looking at your work I don’t think you would have much to offer me in my genre.  This is not to say that your photography sucks, just I’m not seeing anything that pertains to me or how or what I shoot.  No balloons or soft dreamy faux film looks going on on my end.  And I don’t think you would have much to offer as far as the business side of things go either.  I’ve been to all of your links, and I’m still not sure what your business is about.  I THINK it’s wedding photography, with quite a few side projects with hired models on the side to feed your creative side instead and not your bread and butter, but I’m not completely certain if that’s it or not.  In all honesty… I look and see someone who shoots solely for the love of it, or maybe as some sort of hobby and hires models, and has fun.  Not a serious professional like you say.

Why don’t I share for the sake of sharing, or do the whole “Hey!  Follow me and I’ll follow you” thing like you are asking?  Photographers most likely aren’t the people that are going to buy my finished work, and instead most inquire how I created shots instead, so they can attempt their own take, or just to shoot the shit.  What’s the point in collecting photographers or playing the “like” game?  They aren’t who I market my art to… lol   I don’t even really market my photographs.  I have a lot of photographer friends on my personal FB account because we are friends PERIOD.  I like their pages if I’m interested in seeing their shots, and they do the same if they are interested in seeing mine show up in their feed, but it rarely ever happens that way.  Put your stuff out there, share it and talk about it, but don’t be THAT GUY about it, it won’t get received well.  Here we feel free to speak our minds freely, but believe me when I say the other forums or groups you frequent are most likely thinking the same things we are, and just choosing not to be honest, or just to not reply at all… or they will do anything at all for another like or another follower 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.