Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum Inappropriate album title

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    adent
    Participant

There is a local blues band in my area that is mainly made up of two teenage sisters. Their mother contacted me about doing the older daughter’s senior portraits. Due to scheduling issues I was unable to do the shoot. The photographer they went with was closer to their area and had time available to do the shoot where I didn’t. My problem is what he titled the 16 year old younger sister’s album. Keep in mind that he is a middle aged man. I found this unprofessional and just plain creepy.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=558866384156114&set=a.558560457520040.1073741862.170532946322795&type=3&theater

cameraclicker
    Participant

Keep in mind that he is a middle aged man.

Why does age discrimination affect your view?  Would you find it less creepy if the photographer, or the person that put up the album, was say 18 or 22 years old?  What if she was the one who suggested the album name because she liked the alliteration?  What does she think of the album title?

Thinking back, most of a lifetime ago, when I was in high school (16 was grade 11) some of the kids were quite comfortable with their sexuality, others not so much and still others not at all.  If it changed at all by the time my kids were in high school, more of them were comfortable with it.  There is a line, somewhere, but it is not very sharp as it moves depending on the individual.

adent
    Participant

In this day and age I just think it sends the wrong message. Even if the subject and her parents are OK with it, what kind of red flags could this send to other potential clients and their parents.

I also do think that age factors into it. Calling someone underage and young enough to be your daughter sexy is a little questionable. At least someone aged 18-22 as you asked about is in the same general age group and not in the same age range as her parents.

If the client wants to put that in one of their albums, that’s up to them. I just don’t think I would want that on my page. Seems like it sends the wrong message.

fstopper89
    Participant

I agree. It’s totally not appropriate on a “professional” business page. If he were posting photos of an 18-year-old model and he titled it “sexy,” it would be different. Still not professional though, in my opinion. If I were a client looking to have my high schooler’s photos taken by this guy, any album titled with “sexy” would make me look elsewhere no matter what. If I were a model in my 20s, it wouldn’t be a big deal. It’s all about your target market.

Katie
    Participant

I don’t understand the comment on this picture. Isn’t a cougar an older lady that goes after younger men?

Plus, it looks like they are nude!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=558994180810001&set=pb.170532946322795.-2207520000.1370146451.&type=3&theater

adent
    Participant

I hadn’t seen that one. I don’t understand the comment either. My understanding of the work cougar was also an older woman going after younger men also. I agree that they also look nude, I don’t know it that was intentionally set up that way or not. They were wearing strapless dresses.

adent
    Participant

Sorry the “work” above is a typo, should be “word”

adent
    Participant

OK, after a little research the “cougar” reference is to the school they go to. Apparently the school’s mascot is a cougar. The comment would have made more sense if they had been wearing school jerseys or jackets I guess. The way they are dressed it looks like he is referencing something else.

Katie
    Participant

Ah, that clears it up. Out of context it does sound wrong. I knew from looking at the other photo’s they were wearing strapless dresses, but that is not the best pose. Maybe it is just me, but I wouldn’t want a photo of my child that looked like she was posing nude.

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

Yeah it’s probably inappropriate but it’s hardly worth discussing. I also saw crap posing, spot colouring and missed focus. It’s just an average faux whose found another way to shoot him self in the foot. The question should be why do people buy this rubbish?

cameraclicker
    Participant

The question should be why do people buy this rubbish?

Why do people buy photos of themselves getting on a cruise ship, or into a gondola, or entering a theme park ride?  We were at the Canadian side of Niagara Falls a couple of weeks ago and decided to visit the tunnels under the falls.  After paying, the next thing they wanted us to do was stand in front of a green screen so they could take our photo!  Our group and another snuck past while they were working on someone else.  I never buy those photos but someone must because year after year they keep taking them.

Gnork
    Participant

I’m not saying it’s not creepy, but am I the only one who knows that “Sexy Sadie” is the name of a Beatles song? Maybe she’s a Beatles fan.

nesgran
    Participant

I wouldn’t be too bothered with it is as we don’t know the whole story behind it. Is her stage name sexy sadie maybe? But then I’m not american and don’t understand all this taking offence to things like this.

Far more worrying though, this is a man who uses a square vignette and no one has commented on this atrocity? Shame really, most of his shots actually look pretty ok if it wasn’t for all of his horrible editing. I bet most of the disasters there looked better sooc.

adent
    Participant

It’s not a stage name, she uses her real name. They also work with a number of children’s charities. I personally just think it sends the wrong message.

fotopoopie
    Participant

screw the title! those photos suck!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.