Home Forums Photography Showcase I don't consider myself a photagrapher.

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dalmatian mice
    Participant

Hey I am mainly a video guy but I dabble in photography. I figured anonymous internet people would give me a no holds barred thrashing which I would not get from friends. I don’t use any post manipulation in my photos and am only gonna start showing my stuff once I have more of a film portfolio. I would be stoked to get some feedback here is a link to my photo page it is all new stuff as my old computer was stolen. http://www.dalmatianmice.com/pictures.htm

There is not much there as I am focusing on video and building my film portfolio.

Also how do you change your profile pic?

Also does anyone else here not believe in using photoshop? I am not trying to belittle people who do I just am not into it.

dalmatian mice
    Participant

Yes I meant photographer :p Bad start.

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

I had a good look through the photos.

One question – what story are you trying to tell with these images?

In the mouse shots, neither subject is in focus and the light seems to be from straight above with glare off the Jorde Laforge statue (I guess to cancel the shadows?) but remember that photography is meany times an interplay of lighting and shadows to create character.

The 2 train shots – I get what you were trying to do, but the eye is drawn to the overpowering horizontal blur of the train. Unflattering to the subjects.

Nothing is in focus in the puppet shot.

In the Gulfoss image, it looks like you applied some gradiant blur going from the middle towards the sides. The very bottom center the least out of focus, but I don’t see a focal point here…

The rainbow shot is tilted 5-8 degrees of so counter clockwise. It appears your hiked up the curves in post also. Again, not seeing a focal point that’s drawing me in.

Overall, I’m just not sure what your goal was with any of these images…? Maybe some background on each could help?

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

also, you say…

“Also does anyone else here not believe in using photoshop? I am not trying to belittle people who do I just am not into it.”

If you plan on shooting semi-pro shots, you at least need to shoot raw and edit the images in Lightroom to adjust white balance, tonal shades, cropping, shadows, midtone contrast – a whole host of things that a pro does once he / she sees the composition is correct and the image is sharp. That’s you’re foundation. You can’t fix an out-of-focus bad subject pose in Ps.

cameraclicker
    Participant

Also does anyone else here not believe in using photoshop? I am not trying to belittle people who do I just am not into it.

The first digital Nikon I purchased came with a Photoshop Elements CD.  Except the Canon digital I just purchased, all have come with CD’s.  This time, new this year, you go to Canon’s web page and enter your serial number, then you can download the software.

If you are using “Photoshop” to identify Adobe Photoshop, then Canon agrees completely since they firmly believe Canon owners should use Canon software instead of Adobe software, so much so, they include it.  Nikon are only marginally less adamant since it appears NX2 ships with some cameras, if not all of them.  If on the other hand, you are using “Photoshop” in place of “photo editing software”, then manufacturers do not agree with you and most knowledgeable photographers may not as well.

Cameras run photo editing software.  They use it to provide the JPEG files.  Via configuration menus in your camera, you have limited control over how the editing software performs. Once you have the output, you can edit further if desired.  This method leaves all the major decisions up to the software, which throws away over 90% of the sensor data before you get control of the photo.

If you shoot raw files, the camera just reads sensor data and packages that into the file.  It is up to you to convert the file and make adjustments as required.  You can use software from the camera manufacturer, Photoshop, or a host of other packages to achieve this, but you won’t be able to share pictures until you use something.  This gives you the most control over how your photo looks.

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

I said the rainbow shot was tilted counter clockwise… it’s the reverse, sorry.

dalmatian mice
    Participant

COOL! Thanks for the feedback. Obviously as the thread states I do not consider myself a photagrapher :p This stuff is pretty much filler on a bare bones website. I did crop the rainbow pic I had to rush the set up before tourists got into the shot. The gerbil pics were the first thing I shot sans a polarizer  I just thought they were funny pictures. Ummm… Gulfoss was lens whacked to get rid of the tourists. I never thought about telling a story that was really good feedback. I always thought shooting raw was just to be able to modify pics afterwards? good to know thanks for that. Basically I think you can tell I am not really proud of these pictures but thought this site would give me some useful tips as I begin to take photography a bit more seriously. I figure it will stay like this for a bit till I get more film stuff done I got 5 rolls of B & W stuff that needs developing nobody near me does it, I’ll probly do it myself. I hope you might think I have a bit of potential? I will repost here when a proper portfolio is ready on my site. Thanks again! If anybody else wants to keep slamming me go for it. I only have old nikon prime lenses so hopefully I can get a good modern lens to facilitate more candid shots while out and about.

P.S You can buy prints for 100 dollars a piece!  🙂

removebackground
    Participant

Good luck to your work. Its a nice start-up.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.