Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography Hot pixels?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    emf
    Participant

Hiyah, I’m a noob, amateur so I hope it’s ok to post this here. I have a technical question and wondered if anyone could advise. I have hot pixels and am not sure what to do about it? My local camera shop said to get the sensor cleaned, but I’m not sure that’s the case? As a more reputable camera shop, in London, UK, told me it was hot pixels and to take it to Nikon (where is that – I can’t find it on google) – has anyone else had this problem?

cameraclicker
    Participant

Hot pixels are pixels that are always “on”.  They show up as a bright pixel instead of representing the colour and brightness that should have been recorded.

The question is, how many hot pixels and how are they grouped?  If you only have one or two, that is fairly common and they probably won’t do anything for you.  If you have a whole group, together, sensor replacement is the fix.

This post:  http://log.bitreview.net/post/990025889/fixing-hot-pixels-on-my-nikon-d90 , says cleaning the sensor a couple of times from the menu in a D90 resolved the problem.  This might be the sensor cleaning that shakes the sensor filters, and at the same time the software looks for hot pixels and maps them out…  Worth a try, it’s cheap and easy.

emf
    Participant

Thank you CC, there are quite a few of them but they aren’t in large groups or clumps – rather dotted around. The link was very helpful and I’ll try a sensor clean or two.

JustAndy
    Participant

Oh man, this may really suck… I’m sorry.  I saw d90 referenced above.  Is this the camera you have?  If not, and it’s new, return the sucker!!!!!!  Hot pixels are a fact of life ALL CAMERAS HAVE THEM (reason why we have more pixels than really needed… but that’s a whole new post)!  BUT it sounds like your problem is more significant than the average camera owner; if you can have it replaced then by all means do so – I’ve been through this and fighting the battle to fix it rather than replace can be a pain- it’s not impossible, but still a pain…

This may not help you, but please understand I sympathize with your situation…

emf
    Participant

Oh jeez – it’s a D700 – bought secondhand but barely used – only with about 750 actuations. I bought it about 3 years ago. I got it from a tog store with a good rep and they told me to take it to Nikon – which I can’t find.

dannybegood
    Participant

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/

it is top of the google search

emf
    Participant

lol – what a dummy! Thanks dannybegood 🙂

cameraclicker
    Participant

So… Did cleaning cycles help or does it have to go back to Nikon?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.