Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Hoping I'm not a Fauxtog!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    dont.care
    Participant

LexiRose
    Participant

Browneyedgirl, I must agree with what others have been saying to you. Have some respect for others and some humility for yourself. You seem to be fairly knowledgeable about photography, but you are also extremely defensive and entitled, and that’s going to do nothing but make people dislike you. It will also bring hate down on your photos that they might not deserve.

If, say, Zack Arias (I use him as an example because he is a very humble and well-loved photographer) were to start off in photography telling everybody who asks for help that he’s better than them, and giving his photos as examples of what they SHOULD be doing, nobody would have looked at them (no matter how great they were) and said “wow! He’s right, this photo is just as perfect as he says! I hope one day I can achieve such brilliance!” No. They would see him as an entitled jerk and hate the photo no matter what.

dont.care
    Participant

archy
    Participant

ajay, I suggest a re-edit of the photo because it captured a good moment (first time the groom saw the bride. It’s kind of a once in a lifetime moment) and I felt the composition took away from it as a potentially great photo.

Sharra
    Participant

Just my two cents…I also think browneyedgirl is too pompous for her own good. Just because someone doesn’t show any portraits does not make them mediocre. Travel and nature photographers may never shoot a portrait in their entire career—not because they’re no good at it, but they may not have any interest in shooting portraits! I also think some lessons in humility are in order and not always insinuating, “My photos are better than yours because…”

Lexi: Speaking of Zack Arias, have you or any other posters here seen Pro Photographer, Cheap Camera? I had to say “Wow!” when I saw that. 🙂

archy
    Participant

Sharra, I’ve seen some more of this series and LOVE them! The buz lightyear camera has to be my favorite.

Sharra
    Participant

Archy, I never saw that one til just now. Wow to that one, too! 🙂

dont.care
    Participant

dont.care
    Participant

fstopper89
    Participant

The frustrating thing is, I never once said “I’m better than you” to anyone I was giving advice to. And I never said my photos that I used as examples are “the” way to do it. They were merely examples, in one case, explaining how there are different ways to fill the frame of a photo or leave background and negative space. Like I had said even in that post, some of those photos probably could have worked with more or less negative space than I had chosen to use.

I had said some of Ajay’s images were mediocre because I didn’t see anything in a few of them that made them stand out as spectacular. Two of the images (the one with the boardwalk on the left, and the one that appeared to be a beach sandstorm) to me are far more interesting. One photo, of people walking on the beach, I didn’t care for. I didn’t like the sharpening it appeared to have, and would have liked to see them silhouetted instead of some colors of their clothing showing. The sign on the right side pulled my attention away from the people, which created a slight confusion as to what the intended subject was.

The reason I brought up portraits is because most of what this site is about and what a lot of the critiques going on amidst these forums, is for portraits. I’m well aware there are nature, landscape, wildlife, ocean, etc. photographers who have no interest in doing portraits and in no way does that make them not as good as any portrait photographers. I think some people are reading between the lines WAY too much here. I give advice, and someone comes at me and says I’m in no position to give advice because my photos suck? Ignorant broad generalizations like that are meant to anger someone and belittle them. I’m very aware my photos don’t “suck.” Have I ever shot a crappy image? Of course, so have all of us.

Whether you want to admit it or not, formal education in any subject will give someone an advantage. If you are a photographer and have not had any formal education, that in no way means you’re not as good or better than someone who has. I’m assuming you’ve done your own study, read lots of books, and had a lot of practice, to get to be a good photographer. It’s not like it’s the medical field, where you could open up your own practice just after reading a bunch of books and practicing on fetal pigs. LOL. Again, I never insinuated you need training to be good at something. But if you went at it with no idea about photography at all, it sure would take a heck of a lot of practice and trial-and-error to figure out what you’re doing, coincidentally, also a lot more time. The tools are available to anyone.

dont.care
    Participant

fstopper89
    Participant

There you go again, putting words in my mouth. It’s incredibly annoying.

Generally-speaking, when someone isn’t being taught something, it requires a lot more discipline on their own part to make sure they learn it right. If you just picked up a camera and never even read the manual, I’m probably not out of line to say you would have to play around quite a bit to see what all the buttons and functions did. Maybe you’re just a magical genius who was born knowing how to work a camera, but I don’t know you.

dont.care
    Participant

fstopper89
    Participant

Oh god. Jab there again. Now I can’t figure things out on my own.  I’m actually one of the friendliest people you’d meet, but when you say such things you have said to me, like putting words in my mouth, stating I said things I never have, and saying my photos suck (with no sort of constructive criticism) I’m going to defend myself. I at least gave valid reasons for why I didn’t like one of your images. I came here providing advice for a beginner, you picked a fight. Hope your needs were fulfilled.

chia_pet9731
    Participant

settle down ajay – holy if you are such a “professional”  how could you come on here and act this way?  Seriously if you want to give her a critique, then give a well formed, thought out critique.   I find your photos with the exception of 2 of them to be a little on the beginner side.   ie slanted horizons, weird silouettes ect.   And to be soo aggressively attacking another person is really un-becoming for you.  She is offering some advice.   You should be offering advice instead of viciously attacking then kicking her again when she’s down.   Holy Moses!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.