Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Hoping I'm not a Fauxtog!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    fstopper89
    Participant

Wow, no one said to sell your gear. We haven’t even seen any of your work. Like I’ve said before and others have agreed, having any sort of education in the craft most often gives a person an advantage.

dont.care
    Participant

dont.care
    Participant

p.s. what point did you prove exactly with your 3 shot photo circus of your brother? There are people that would own every photo you’ve ever conceived of with the use of a Lego camera.. You’ve certainly lost your humility and humbleness somewhere along the line.. You take decent photos, but you’re certainly no one to be giving advice as rude as you are.. I’m only calling you out because for whatever reason you’re all over this and every other forum thinking you’re the Jesus of photography.

dont.care
    Participant

fstopper89
    Participant

Oh we have another snippy one here! LOL! Ajay, you didn’t even post any portraits. Your sunset photos are ok, nothing spectacular really. The one of the log boardwalk on the left side is probably my favorite. Most of what people consider a fauxtog is someone who’s marketing themselves as a portrait photographer who has no idea what the heck they are doing with their camera, yet charging them for their services.

The advice I have offered in these forums is based on my experience and education. None of my advice here was rude in any way.

Yawn… the point of the 3-photo “circus” as you call it is to ILLUSTRATE the type of images a photographer of varying levels of experience/knowledge and available gear may produce. It is more directed toward the consumer, someone looking for portraits. If they hire some overnight fauxtog with a $150 ditital camera they will probably end up with the image on the left. If they hire someone who recently acquired an entry-level DSLR with the kit lens and haven’t had any training on how to use it, they might end up with the middle image. If they chose someone like me or most of the people on these forums who have similar skill level and equipment, they would expect to end up with a technically sound image that shows attention to details like posing, composition, and proper editing skills. As photographers we should all know exactly what I was trying to illustrate, as it should be really obvious, but it’s not always obvious to an average-joe/jill consumer who wants family photos taken. They often see Bargain!! and think “Great! Why pay more?” If you check out the site http://www.takeoffyourmommygoggles.com/ it actually delves much deeper into kind of the same thing I was trying to say.

Not sure exactly what you mean by people owning every photo taken with a Lego camera. Please explain.

I only ever shoot in Manual.

Never thought I was Jesus of photography. I like being able to offer advice where I can.

archy
    Participant

Highest of fives, ajay. browneyedgirl, you created a forum topic dedicated to calling put people and critisizing them, you are far from “trying to be helpful”. And while ajay doesnt have portraits, his images make you look like a rookie with a p&s. I love how you alwqys use your crap photos to demonstrate “proper” camer technique, you are so in love with yourself, it’s like you think you are the pinacle of technique. all must aspire to your level or be damned.

dont.care
    Participant

fstopper89
    Participant

HAHAHA Ohh Archy, there you go again! Yes I created that forum topic on a SITE MADE TO MAKE FUN OF FAUXTOGRAPHY. His images most certainly do not make me look like a rookie with a point-and-shoot, they are pretty mediocre actually and show no portraits (unless you count the silhouettes which in this case are not really portraits) and for you to say that makes me think you need mental help, for real. It’s very evident you are jealous of my work (still haven’t seen a single image of yours) and you’re the only one who’s ever called my images “crap.” Let it rest already.

dont.care
    Participant

fstopper89
    Participant

Yes, I own a T2i, and yes, I own a 5DII. No, I do not make 90% of my income on photography. (The reason I call myself semi-pro is because I only make part of my income on it). Way to go, you probably have more experience than I do then, nothing wrong with that. But to say that the advice I offer is invalid is just plain stupid. I wouldn’t be offering advice in something I didn’t understand. Like I had said before, whether you’re using a entry-level camera or something better, what matters more is how you use it. Obviously, I know how to use a Rebel better than someone who just got one for Christmas with no training in photography. (Who’s going to buy their wife a 5DII for Christmas when she’s never even done photography before?) My point is that many people get a Rebel or something similar at first.

I was never putting recognizable faces in a debate. They are part of my portfolio, and the clients are aware that I may and will use the images in any way since they are my copyrighted material. It is stated in the contract they sign.

So, because I’ve had to borrow stuff, and I call it gear as opposed to expensive gear, wait, what??? I INVEST in quality gear when I am able to. Obviously, at this point in my life I can’t drop thousands of dollars on more gear. Which is why I’ve been able to borrow some here and there. I’m fine with not being as established as you are in my photography career. Right now I have a not-so-great day job that is hindering me acquiring more camera gear. (Something I’m trying to change).

I am not just pulling advice out of my a$$. Any advice I offer I do understand. You’re taking my offering of advice to say that I think I know it all already. How many times have I said here (sorry, maybe you don’t follow all the forums) that I’m always learning new things and working on improving myself? I don’t just think I’m “good.” I know I’m good, I know there are things I can improve though, and the fauxtographers are those who think they can pick up a camera, click a button, and they’re amazing. I’ve never had that attitude.

dont.care
    Participant

crissyB
    Participant

Ajay, I agree with you on the recognizable faces statement therefore I’m going to take that flickr down. 🙂

archy
    Participant

I completely agree with ajay. the only reason i go on about that forum topic is because you continue to post on it and all arguments on why the photog in question is bad is followed by “i would never do that”. and you keep claiming that i’m in some minority of people who do not like your work, but i’d much rather be in a smart minority that some bullcrap dilusional majority (look at how popular jersey shore is. i’ll be damned if anyone with taste considers that art)

I will never post my work on here for reasons i’ve already explained (you have a habbit of reading between the lines though,dont you?). i am not now, nor do i ever, intend on starting a business. i have nobody to impress with a portfolio so i wont bother creating one.

And i noted how you quoted me in another topic, let me clarify. Just because i do not hate your photos does not mean i automatically like them. I do not like them in the least, they are cliche of most facebook pros out there. You said ypu were trying a re-edit of that wedding photo, by all means continue. i’d honestly like to see a new edit because the capture of the groom’s expression WAS indeed a good one, the composition is what was lacking. (i saw your comment that you had set your camera up to take consecutive shots which explains and excuses bad composition, which makes me all the more curious to see you “fix” it)

archy
    Participant

Holy crap, i’m starting to understand bad grammer with fauxs,btw. I’m starting to wonder if they are on mobile phones, it is too easy to make typos and not notice on these bad boys (my computer is busy rendering so i’ve been using my mobile for internet nonesense) . I havent tried facebook on here, but if the mobile interface is as bad as this one i kind of can’t blame them.

dont.care
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.