Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography Home studio backdrop and support.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    emf
    Participant

Thanks CC, that looks a great set up he has. I need to watch more tutorials like this…not just to see how these guys set up their studios/lights etc. But also to learn how they interact with their clients too.

Thanks for your help everyone! I look forward to posting my first results for a critique 🙂

Drew
    Participant

I first purchased a support complete with material backdrops; they were vile. So I invested in a vinyl roll. It is very heavy for the support I have and it does wobble a little at times. So I am going to cut the metal tube away from the vinyl and use pegs to attach it to support.

cameraclicker
    Participant

I first purchased a support complete with material backdrops; they were vile.

I use mostly seamless paper and hand painted canvas backdrops so I’m curious about why you feel material backdrops are vile.

Drew
    Participant

They were cotton and creased way too much. Every movement resulted in a crease. I find vinyl much easier to keep clean etc.

emf
    Participant

Yes, I bought a cheap frame and black and white muslin backdrop in the end, thinking I could use the frame for newborns (as it’s lower etc.), and then invest in a vinyl one when I have more money 🙂 The muslin is a real pain though and creases at the drop of a hat!

cameraclicker
    Participant

I see.  I have one with a tag that says it is Civichrome.  It has a wooden dowel at top and bottom, and is 8 feet of material.  I roll it around one of the dowels and there is no opportunity for it to crease.  The others are more like tarps.  One is a solid terracotta colour and the other has a garden scene with a couple of steps.  They are 10 X 20 feet and the bottom half or so is meant to be walked on.  They are all pretty heavy material.  I just read a review of muslin backdrops which said they were like bed sheets.  I wouldn’t want to sleep under any of mine!  They are more like tarps.  They will get creases but the creases come out with steam.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.