Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography Having a hard time

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    annarhodes89
    Participant

Hey guys,

I recently graduated with my BFA in photography and am having a super hard time staying motivated to create my art. My last project was pretty intense, dealing with the sexual abuse of my mother. I feel like I am having some sort of block.

I am also having a hard time transitioning into commercial photography, because lets face it, I DO have to make a living. I am very capable of taking pictures.It is very hard competing in this business because EVERYONE and their mothers think they are photographers. They set CHEAP prices, and most of the time, people don’t look at quality. They usually see “oh they have a big camera, they are capable”, therefore only looking for the CHEAPEST price. It is so aggravating.

Am I making ANY sense? I have a bad case of type-vomit.

I am very stressed, down, and just plain frustrated since I have been out of school. Help!

cameraclicker
    Participant
    EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

You have any medicine allergies? If not, maybe 0.5 mg of clonazepam will help… or even a mild SSRI, although they have a longer half-life and require some time to reach therapeutic levels.

You need to ‘chillax’ as my 8-yr-old daughter would say. You’re young, and you have a wealth of opportunities to look forward to with other skills you must have learned in school. Plus, no great photographer sprung into being overnight.

Have faith. It’s gonna be ok.  🙂

Visionthing
    Participant

Maybe you should take the pressure off of yourself and go find work as an assistant to a commercial photographer.

Most photographers are not ready and don’t have enough experience straight out of school to start their own business.

The other thing they don’t tell you in school is as a photographer you will spend 10% of your time shooting and 90%

running your business and marketing. You need to fully understand the business side especially if you are dong

comercial work.

For now keep shooting and adding to your portfolio, and learn from someone who’s been there.

It takes time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.