Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Go ahead, tell me what i'm doing wrong :D

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Superchin
    Participant

Hi there, i’m asking you to critique my work 😀 i’ll be more than happy if you tell me what i’m doing worng , and what should i need to change .

Cheers!

http://500px.com/ginkocr

reality check
    Participant

What are you looking for?  What direction are you wanting to take with your photography?  Your not a family portrait tog like YANAP is all about, So I’m  seriously questioning this inquiry.  Are you a paid tog, and this is where you send your potential clients, or is this your personal work?

Superchin
    Participant

Hi reality check!

The direction  i’m looking for is going into the photography business, but sometimes i just dont feel happy with my work, sometimes i feel it looks cheese. Most of the work on 500px are personal, but there ‘re some paid works in there. I’ll always liked photography but untill a year and a half i decided to go to photography school. My fear is to get tagged as a fauxtog.

Cheers!

stef
    Participant

“The direction  i’m looking for is going into the photography business, but sometimes i just dont feel happy with my work”

Every good photographer has many images he’s not happy with.

The good photographers make sure nobody else sees them. The bad photographers publish them.

Some good photographers have a high percentage of “good” shots. This means they’ll compose it technically correct maybe 95% of the time, compose the shot well 80% of the time, be in the right spot 75% of the time, and so on. The good photographers will come back with 50% of their shots worthy of being seen by others, and trash the other 50%. I’ve done some work where I spent an hour setting the shot, and clicked the shutter once but that type of shooting can be rare. Even if your numbers are low, you’re still a good photographer if nobody sees the bad shots. [Event photography is a bit different, as you can’t afford to miss much — in that case, you might sacrifice the perfect composition to capture the perfect moment.]

I barely glanced at your images, but the street photography is somewhat interesting. I think you do add too much local contrast and tonemapping, but some people like that style. As you said, this looks more like personal or journalistic photography, not commercial photography.

Superchin
    Participant

Hi stef, thanks for your reply. For commercial shots, i take my time to take the shoots (when i have time) and keep the contrast down. For my personal work, yes i  add contrast in some pictures, but i’m getting tired of adding too much contrast.

I usually dont take many shots ,but when i see one that is bad ( for my eyes), goes inmediatly to the trash bin. Its rare because, sometimes i see some pictures that i’m not happy at all with them, but if other people sees them, they  like them…That’s something that confuses me a little bit.

Cheers!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.