Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Giving out "free photo shoots". What a joke.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    thin_blue_line
    Participant

I really hate bashing on people who do freelance photography, but if you don’t know what you’re doing, don’t make a legitimate facebook account trying to “sell” your services?

This woman claims she is a photographer, but she creates posts like “guess a number and whoever wins gets a free photo shoot!”. Check out her page.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/CaughtinTimephotos

Thomas
    Participant

She has clearly just bought a camera, used some sort of editing program and now thinks she’s a photographer! WTF!!! Seriously….WTF!! What runs through these peoples minds. This totally screams FAUX on all levels. Amongst the small selection of images of….each other…they even have the obligatory train track shots. I seriously think this is a joke right….guys…it’s a joke yeah?

fstopper89
    Participant

She didn’t even know how to download the photos to her computer. I mean really??

GeekAndProud
    Participant

“I need a few modles for a shoot I want to do…is anyone interested?”

I want to be a modle for this person

cameraclicker
    Participant

Caught in Time is a master of the run on sentence!   I don’t know if thin_blue_line is male.  Caught in Time thinks so.

“So if anyone wants pictures done in light of this mans ignorance they will be free all month happy September”

I suppose if you don’t want pictures done in light of his ignorance, you will have to pay for them.

ebi
    Participant

nah dude, she’s the real deal. Look she photographed Honey Boo Boo’s mother: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=624374204252067&set=pb.622343674455120.-2207520000.1378827270.&type=3&theater

nesgran
    Participant

Those photos actually look worse than what my three year old entry level canon P&S produces, interesting. The canon is my climbing camera for when a big dslr isn’t practical but the shots are always so bad I’m never quite happy with it.

thin_blue_line
    Participant

I am a female, but I’m not the one who messaged her!  I knew immediately it was someone from here.  I “like” a lot of photography pages on Facebook because I genuinely enjoy seeing excellent photography but this woman just makes me laugh.  Like really?  She can’t spell, she doesn’t use proper grammar and her photos are HORRIBLE.

ebi
    Participant

didn’t realize that someone messaged her. No one mentioned it on this thread.

cassie
    Participant

Why would you even mention it on your facebook profile like that in the first place? Do people not realize crap like that is a big business no no? I know I can’t make everyone happy with my business (I teach horse riding lessons) but if someone messaged me with something like that I would just ignore them and not say anything about it at all. Of course I also have a ton of happy clients that are saying plenty of good things about me- so the ignore it thing would work pretty well for me. But if she hadn’t said anything at all in the first place, no one would have known anything about it. Now everyone whose seen that post knows that someone messaged her thinking she wasn’t very smart.

ebi
    Participant

ok i see it now:

So I got a message in my inbox today from a person that saw a blog about my page let me just say I know how to upload my pictures onto this computer I didn’t have my memory card reader so therefore I couldnt upload my pictures on to the computer to put them up on Facebook and if somebody wants certain pictures done then I will do it for them I’m not going to say no just because it looks cliche so why don’t you take your blog somewhere else thanks and the free photoshoot its for advertising its how you get a fan base. So if anyone wants pictures done in light of this mans ignorance they will be free all month happy September

allow me to break it all apart:

let me just say I know how to upload my pictures

ahem…it’s download

if somebody wants certain pictures done then I will do it for them I’m not going to say no just because it looks cliche

I wouldn’t say don’t do it b/c it looks cliche, I would say don’t do it b/c you don’t know what you are doing.

the free photoshoot its for advertising its how you get a fan base

advertise |ˈadvərˌtīz|
    verb [ trans. ]
    describe or draw attention to (a product, service, or event) in a public medium in order to promote sales or attendance.

Giving away a photoshoot doesn’t promote sales, it just attracts freeloaders. Professionals rarely, if ever, give up their time for free unless there is something in it for them.

You get a fan base based on the idea that you do good work that people like and respect and want to see more of. She produces shit work that I wish I could un-see.

So if anyone wants pictures done in light of this mans ignorance they will be free all month happy September

GGGGRRRRReeeeaaattttt business model modle ! I feel like she’s agreeing at this point that she shouldn’t be charging.

nesgran
    Participant

bwahahahaha, there’s a couple of fuaxes that folllow the forums and usually message their faux brethren

williamatkins
    Participant

That is not new idea at all, and we should always learn that Facebook is an arena of everything, meaning you might encounter legitimate and scam offerings. Since social media have big impact in marketing and promotional campaign, it is a free strategical marketing place where all stuff is available, where Facebook is one of those room. Many offers are being promoted via Facebook and sometimes ask you to click on a certain post to redirect you to get the code, watch video, download stuff, get free items, earn free coins and many strategy, but those links just do nothing at all but to have you subscribe to their post and eventually be one of the traffics they need for their sites, that’s how they work. Dealing with this kind of promotion always requires our better thinking and idea of learning to deal of whom we are dealing with. Business name or a product name is always a priority to check if they are legitimate or not followed by how they work with their clients, they must also have messages and testimonials from their clients visible in their page. Also they must have contact details indicated from the page. There are many things we need to know, that you just need to be meticulous in verifying it.

Regards.
    Will Atkins
    “works at eatmywords.com

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

“…don’t make a legitimate facebook account trying to “sell” your services?”

There is such a thing as a legitimate Facebook account trying to sell services? If it came to my attention that a professional I hired was posting ads on FB, our relationship would come to an abrupt end as the companies brand would be irreversibly diluted in my eyes.

cameraclicker
    Participant

There is such a thing as a legitimate Facebook account trying to sell services? If it came to my attention that a professional I hired was posting ads on FB, our relationship would come to an abrupt end as the companies brand would be irreversibly diluted in my eyes.

I don’t have anything posted on my Facebook account.    I am not a fan of their Terms of Service, though they have convinced me of the need for watermarks in some circumstances.

There are legitimate photographers who are using Facebook, however.  Here are a couple I am aware of, so they were easy to look up and provide links to:

Joe McNally has had covers and double spreads in many of the premiere photo based magazines like National Geographic and Sports Illustrated, to name just two.  Here is his page on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/joemcnallyphoto

Michael Willems is a full time photographer in Oakville which is a bedroom community near Toronto.  He does courses at Sheridan College in Oakville and Vistek, a large camera retailer in Toronto, Mississauga and Calgary.  He also does his own workshops.  I saw him speak a couple of times when he was giving courses at Henry’s and I’m sure he understands what he is doing.  He has a wedding business, as well as portrait and commercial clients.  He has several web pages.  This is his FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/CameraTraining

I think those who have said there are legitimate businesses on FB, and there are also scams on FB, are correct.  It is up to the individual to determine which pages are worthwhile.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.