Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum friend of fauxtographer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Maryah13
    Participant

so, heres my dilemma;

I have a very good friend who is a major faux. He has 2 “business” profiles, one on FB and the other on MM. He has mentioned that he charges people for his work when we’ve discussed it in private conversations; He has a graphic arts degree so he thinks that makes him a pro photog even though he had never picked up a camera until AFTER he graduated. I have tried to offer helpful tips (nothing too technical because I’m still in school) things like cropping out the edges of backdrops and focus tips. He refuses to acknowledge the help I offer (even though he has asked me many times for critique.) He just brushes it off as “differences in taste”. I don’t know whether I should continue offering critique when asked, that he will undoubtedly ignore, or just fake it and tell him its all ok since it wont matter anyway.

His FB and MM

https://www.facebook.com/BllPhotographyDesignConcepts/photos_albums

http://www.modelmayhem.com/2693884

and just for reference; some of my work

(my name is obnoxiously sprawled across the middle because i had some crazy girl from my hometown claim that my photos were really hers and I was stealing from her)

942783_10151919861041521_472270353_n.jpg

920126_10151919936956521_335273087_o.jpg

535167_10151112347561521_1906425499_n.jpg

407531_10150744645751521_1542595767_n.jpg

Maryah13
    Participant

and heres some proof he sells his work, this is actually listed on his personal profile which is why i didn’t want to link the actual profile; is it just me or are the edits to those prints very obvious with unblended edges?!

http://i41.tinypic.com/2z7jx1w.jpg

emf
    Participant

What an awkward situation Maryah! Even though he doesn’t acknowledge your help, does he act on it – i.e. make the changes you suggest. Or does he ignore it completely? If the latter then if I were you I wouldn’t bother anymore to offer crits.

If the former, then yeah, I think I would continue as he is listening at least. Maybe to take the heat off just you giving crits, arrange a little crit group – i.e. group of friends, wine, snacks etc and take it in turns to show and discuss your latest work, every few weeks.

That way, other’s would share their thoughts on his work too and he may get the message if you’re all saying similar things – and also he’s listening to other crits besides on his work – so he’s seeing everyone has room for improvement; and learning how to give crits too – which is all part of the learning curve, i.e. learning to analyse images critically – his own and other peoples. (Though I am surprised he’s not used to this process if he’s just been through art school – we used to have crits that left us in tears lol!)

Also maybe suggest trying online crit forums?

Good luck!

cameraclicker
    Participant

How does someone who “has a graphic arts degree” manage to put up so many bad photos?   I can’t decide which is my favourite, this one which is obviously a statement about water pollution:  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=530104617043441&set=a.530104270376809.1073741850.394103650643539&type=3&theater , or this one where focus seems to be in the wrong place and the horizon is so far off that it must have been done on purpose:  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=530104690376767&set=a.530104270376809.1073741850.394103650643539&type=3&theater !

Perhaps I am naive, but I would expect someone studying graphic arts to have been exposed to composition, colour, focus, lighting, etc., etc.  Perhaps not how to create it with a camera, but certainly how to evaluate it in a stock photo.  New Coastal Artwork looks like everything from a day at the beach was uploaded directly from the card except some of it also looks badly edited.  What does his day to day graphic art output look like?

I like emf’s idea of a critique group.  You could start a group or locate a couple of local photo clubs and take him to those.

nesgran
    Participant

No offence but with the shots of yours you posted I’m not sure you are the best person to offer critique. His photos are still awful though

emf
    Participant

Sorry Nesgran, I don’t agree – you can still offer good crits and have a lot to learn yourself. The ability to critically analyse an image and then communicate those thoughts so the recipient understands is a skill in itself.  For example, not all art critics are artists, theatre critics, actors etc.

It’s often more easy to see the flaws of other peoples’ work over your own, as you’re more objective.

Maryah13
    Participant

Emf: no, he doesn’t even take the crit and use it. He completely ignores it Altogether; the idea of a group crit is great if we lived in the same area (we live over 2 hours away so that won’t work) and I know he has had to do critiques in school although, his style of graphic art is not my style (in fact I hate it) it technically is sound. But his photos are a mess.

Nesgran: as I said I AM STILL a student so I am still learning; and I am not offering unsolicited critique, he is asking for it. And I don’t see how being a student has anything to do with my ability to offer critique, we do student critiques all the time in school. Even though I have a lot to learn would you mind explaining EXACTLY why you feel I shouldn’t offer critique?

actually I gladly accept any critique anyone has to give, as long as it is constructive so that I can adjust the way I shoot in the future.

Maryah13
    Participant

Clicker: you basically took my feelings on his work and typed them out for me. Like I said above, his graphic art (that I’ve seen) is technically sound. Before he graduated he had to do a senior art installation of 20+ pieces and his work was very good, although not my taste at all. I just can’t see how his photos are so bad, it’s like his technical eye regressed after graduation

ebi
    Participant

Perhaps the reason he doesn’t listen to your advice because your photos aren’t good either. In fact, his might even be slightly better than yours considering that in one out of every 30 frames he actually takes a shot that makes the girl look flattering. You’ve got none: Just pocohontas taking a shit and some bad vignettes. If I were you, I’d be less concerned about helping him improve his photography and work on improving your own first.  That is all I’ll really say about that since you didn’t ask for a critique on yours.

Maryah13
    Participant

Well ebi you obviously didn’t read all the posts because I in fact DID welcome critique as long as its constructive… Your comment however, was rude as fuck

ebi
    Participant

Sorry Maryah, but I call it as I see it. I cannot give you much critique except to say that if these are the only four images you have…or if these are your very best, then start over.

Maryah13
    Participant

Well… That was pointless. Honestly if you can’t offer any advice for me to get better, then don’t offer it at all. Just saying “it’s bad” doesn’t help anyone but yourself.

ebi
    Participant

i hope that it wakes you up from the delusion that you think it’s good. I cannot make you a good photographer. You so miss the mark with these four images and if you sent this anywhere else, you would just get ignored. Be grateful that someone is willing to offer you the cold hard truth instead of nothing at all.

Go look at some magazines and start over.

nesgran
    Participant

right, pocahontas then. Repeat after me, I will never shoot a squatting model ever again. As small change in stance as to have her move one knee towards the ground and the other up will make it look like she is actually looking for something rather than you interrupting a number two. I’m also pretty sure this shot would work well with a wider angle in landscape and more of the scene in the image so to give it some context like what she is doing. The framed background isn’t interesting either. I’m not sure what your speedlight setup looks like but there is no interesting light going on in the image. If you don’t have lots of speedlights sitting about or can take your studio kit to the woods put her in a ray of evening sunlight at an angle from the back, get a silver reflector to lighten up her face and your shot will instantly look far better. If you have a couple of speedlights you can obviously do the same wherever you want in the shade.

You’ve missed a number of small details that detract a lot like the pruned surface of the tree just by her head and the bright twig between her feet.

Because you have missed composition, lighting and the small details in the first of four shots to show that you are better than your faux friend I’m saying you have so much to work on that your critiques may not be beneficial at all.

I don’t have the time right now to critique the other three properly

Maryah13
    Participant

ok, well if you cant pinpoint what is wrong with the photos besides all of it, then i cant be bothered to take you seriously (and by no means am i saying i’m the best photog out there, I’m still a student for Christ’s sake). If you had actual critique you could tell me what about my photos could be improved upon or isn’t quite up to par technically, but since all you can say is that I’m delusional to think my work is decent with no valid argument that it isn’t in fact decent all i can do is chalk your opinion up to just that, an opinion; and we all know what they say about opinions.

Again, offer up a real critique and I might take it seriously; “go look at some magazines and start over.” Is criticism NOT critique

FYI, since it seems you can’t tell the difference

cri·tique
     [kri-teek] noun, verb, cri·tiqued, cri·ti·quing.

noun
    1. an article or essay criticizing a literary or other work; detailed evaluation; review.

crit·i·cism
     [krit-uh-siz-uhm] noun

1. the act of passing judgment as to the merits of anything.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.