Home Forums Photography Showcase First photos in my brand new studio.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nightrose
    Participant

It has taken a few months but I finally have a workable studio at home!  Since before now I have pretty much always done location photography, I feel like a complete fish out of water in an artificial lighting setting, so it will be a while before I feel justified in charging people for my services. Definately going to rope in a few volunteers to sit for me so I can build my confidence 🙂

Anyway, I’ve put some pics up on my Facebook page of my first attempts: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.399200863495290.95883.114239885324724&type=1

(I hope the above link works, otherwise type in Nightrose Photo to find my page).

Edit: the link above isn’t working, grrr! Will try to fix it.

Mrs Woo
    Participant

Okay, I was bad and commented, so now you can find me.  Please understand that 90+% of what is on my FB profile is what I consider ‘snapshot’ photography, and nothing more, okay?  I would love to one day be a real photographer, though, and keep threatening to make hubby build me a new studio with tons of north windows so I can use it for both photography and painting.  Maybe even move all my musical equipment in there so it can be music AND other arts!

Loved a lot of them.  The depth of field seemed a LITTLE off on the peppers, but when you’re working with a macro lens that can be really challenging.

Nightrose
    Participant

Hi Mrs Woo, thank you for your thoughtful comments on my Facebook page – feedback is much appreciated! I’ve written a few replies there 🙂

As for the chillies – they’re definately not as crisp as I’d like. It is amazing how difficult macro photography actually is – it’s all about getting in enough light in order to get the desired depth of field, and as you can see, it isn’t a craft that I have fully mastered yet, lol.  I certainly hope to work away at it and get some much better photos in the future.

I’m quite excited, I have people coming to the studio this week to pose for me, so I hope to get some good shots for my portfolio.  Fingers crossed that I don’t screw up and produce Fauxtog-worthy dreck (I had a nightmare about this the other night, argh!).

Mrs Woo
    Participant

You’re very welcome.  Good luck – you’re so lucky to find people willing to pose for you!  My cousin’s son has the same good fortune.  I’m not sure if I’m not asking enough people or if I just don’t ‘get out enough’ to find people to ask, but since getting light stands, modifiers and the like I’ve only had a few sessions.   I am sure that your attention to detail and desire to produce great images will do a lot to create images that are better than what appears here.

Though people obviously do master the craft, there is always something new to learn.  Striving for excellence is never a bad thing.  Me – I am waiting for images that still the heart, and frustrated that I am not creating them.  We just bought a new farm, though, and I expect to have a lot of opportunities for some amazing wildlife photography, and maybe once we get the new house built I can settle down and arrange my schedule to have regular focus on photography.

The hardest thing about YANAP is that it makes me want to be a portrait photographer, because much of what I see here wouldn’t even be shown to the client, let alone posted on Facebook as part of my portfolio.  My Facebook page that pretends to be a studio page is nothing more than a convenience for the other parents to get pictures of their children playing middle school football.  I keep meaning to edit down those images to the good ones that are being used and start adding the rest of my portfolio to it, but haven’t done that yet.  At this point, people rarely look at the page, especially since football ended several months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.