Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Fauxtogs who should end up on the main page…

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1,306 through 1,320 (of 3,098 total)
  • Author
    dont.care
    Participant

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/981127_668849203140872_1915881150_o.jpg <- this had so much potential. The rest are absolute garbage..

-stills-
    Participant

@dont.care: At first, I thought I had to rub my eyes to see it clearly. Not.

It was the PS blur job that she had done..badly done :/

Also, with this one.. I thought my screen needed to be cleaned again. lol

179972_652555808103545_1188453810_n.jpg

dont.care
    Participant

sensor dust madness  in that one..not to mention the high iso noise.. Probably shot in auto or something

the bridge photo could’ve been extremely nice if it weren’t for that “diffuse” glow.. Personally, I would’ve shot from center of the bridge–but I see why they didn’t.. The lens wasn’t wide enough to get the entire structure into the frame without clipping the end of it.. Which tells me, they didn’t have the right gear.. I also would’ve exposed the sky and used flash for fill on the “subjects” and darkened my ambient about a stop and a half.  There again, I would’ve used a lens that would encompass the entire frame without the odd angle to allow for a symmetric leading line–leading to the subject, and filled the entire frame with the structure. Also, I know some people like that bright blown out look, I’m not one of those people. I prefer to clearly define my subject as the point of main interest and make everything else subtle. If my subject is a rock in the company of a thousand other rocks.. I want my rock to POP and stand out as clearly as possible. That photo has too much subject matter.. the DOF on the building is odd because the angle of the camera/lens so it’s falling out of focus on a horizontal plane..

dont.care
    Participant

oh, there’s purple fringing in the foliage.. lol

I can’t tell if there’s any sky; it’s blown out, but that mountain with a nice sky with some clouds would’ve made that photo spectacular given everything else were corrected..

fstopper89
    Participant

Ahhh! The wrinkled bedsheet backdrop! Yes those are definitely fauxtography images, except the couple walking by the Chinese-looking building in the background. Standing alone, that photograph is quite good. The second one, of the military couple’s wedding, probably would have been a decent shot if they hadn’t edited the bejeebuz out of it.

As far as having backup gear, I have two other bodies (they are crops though) and those darn kit lenses with me, and a prime lens, just in case something would happen… though, I am very protective of the gear I’m using at a shoot so it is highly unlikely something would break. I would like to get a few more lenses this year.

I’ve gotten some nice indoor wedding reception images with the Speedlite, though I know I could stand to take some lighting workshops since I primarily shoot outdoors with natural light and aid with reflectors and using shaded areas when needed.

dont.care
    Participant

what’s actually funny is–even though it’s wrinkled and it’s a sheet; could’ve moved subject and “props” away from said sheet, opened the aperture and dropped it oof.. Person taking photo should’ve got on a more level plane with subject, reflector off to the side and a fill flash with umbrella at a 45 .. lol.. just sayin’, you don’t really need expensive backdrops.. unless you want them in-focus like muslin backdrops.. shitty wrinkled solid color backdrops can be used if your technical ability allows it..

warrenjrphotography
    Participant

Quote –

A “fake pro”, haha..

No, when I go to a job, I take my gear<period>, and I don’t have 6, I have 8. Flash isn’t only used to “fill”, it can also be used to overpower. I said, I “rarely” ever use all of them (at once). A “fake pro”, haha.. I believe in contingency, idiot. “REDUNDANCY”, would be another word that fits synonymously. Flashes have a tendency to overheat, they also break fairly easily if they fall, or whatever mishap may occur. I don’t get paid in the hundreds, I get paid in the thousands.. When people pay you thousands of dollars–they generally have little sympathy for equipment failure. They generally aren’t, “well that’s ok, we’ll just start over when you get that fixed.” It basically comes down to, I don’t care how you get this done, but get it done right, and get it done now. If I didn’t have backup equipment, I’d probably end up getting sued. I am HEAVILY invested into my business. But, that’s what professionals do. Buy professional equipment and have backups ICSH (in case shit happens).. So as far as calling me a fake pro? I’m not the one strutting around like a half cocked rooster boasting how great housewife equipment is v. pro gear. They market those lenses for consumers without the extra digit before the decimal for a reason.. So call it what you will

So Just because, “I” can afford what you can’t, doesn’t make me a “FAKE PRO”. It makes me successful. 

End Quote

I get paid in the hundred thousands. I actually broke 6 digits this year. Getting paid in the thousands is nothing considering that on my last job I brought in 12K.

Also, you must be using some cheap flashes if your flashes break easily. I have had my single, main flash, fall off of light stands onto concrete, fall on grass, get sand in it, use it at full power for a 1 hour session, and it’s still going strong yet I only paid $70 for it AND it has just about the same power as your $500+ flash 😀 .

I have planty of backups as well, backup lenses, flashes, body’s, and a bkacup of everything pretty much not to mention I use a new CF card for each job that I do and backup all photos on an external hard drive and have a set CF card with all of those photos in a safe.

I have yet to see any of your “professional photos”…..I’d love to see them though 😀

Your successfulness could be a load of crap as well…..after all this is the internet you could lie about who you are and be a fake….who knows.

warrenjrphotography
    Participant

Quote –

dont.care has posted links to work many times here and it is very nice from what I remember. Certainly professional work. DC gets a lot of good clients because he markets to that demographic and has the quality and the right gear to back it up.

Warren, your photos themselves aren’t fauxtographer-ish, but your attitude is. Like that lady who told me, “I don’t need to waste the  oney on fancy gear or school, and my photos are amazing!” and her work was horrendous.

End Quote

Don’t know what a “fauxtographer is” and could care less but all that I see on this website is a bunch of people with personal issues that get off talking crap on random people on the internet and the people talking crap aren’t even posting their own photos probably because they’re afraid of getting critiqued.

iliketag
    Participant

Oh GOD, he’s back…. I’m not even going to respond with the things I want to say. I say, let’s just ignore him collectively.

-stills-, I agree with BEG and dont.care. The one of the bridge really did have potential, but the editing – that fake blur, just threw it too out of whack for me. Even with all the technical fall-shorts, it’s not a bad snapshot and a couple might be happy to have it as a memory from a vacation… but what a bummer that they could have done so much more.

dont.care
    Participant

Haha, yes — and because of your last statement, we all indeed, know who the “fake is”. You have hereby been weighed, measured, and found wanting.

I simply love how devastated you are that you simply cannot take simple rhetoric towards consumer level lenses. It’s highly ironic that we (all mostly), had nothing bad to say about your work.. And to no end, defended you initially.

“12k”, I will assume, that if someone paid you 12k for your level of expertise of 1 year and your choice of equipment — You must’ve slipped them a roofie.

..Honestly, I will reply with a LOL. And, that is all after this point. You’ve unequivocally just proven beyond a reasonable doubt, you belong in the same category as the folks on the front page.  6 figures from entry to where your at now? In 1 year? HAHAHA. 12K on one project? Lmao

Dude–I’m going to start circulating you in all the pro-communities I can think of.. I will love to hear the responses this will incite.

p1329

dont.care
    Participant

I love this: “Currently I am looking for other photographers in the tristate area to connect with and second shoot/assistant for at weddings and other events. ”

So, you’ve broke 6 figures in your first year, but — you’d like to be a 2nd shooter/assistant.. That sounds reasonable..

dont.care
    Participant

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130604/13/51ae5026221a7.jpg < I love this 6 figure self portrait

I also find great enjoyment of the fact that you label yourself, “very experienced” on the index.

http://warrenjrphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/552414_3947844010200_380417538_n.jpg

weird… you must love that shirt

JLiu
    Participant

It appears I’m late to the party…but why bother feeding the troll? He obviously gets off from all this, despite what he says.

seth
    Participant

ok I get that for studio, but what about outdoors or at a wedding?  Not practical to carry around softboxes and umbrellas, nor possible if they’re not battery lol

fstopper89
    Participant

Yikes, after seeing those self-portraits Warren, I kind of think you’re on a really high horse. There are technical issues for someone who claims to be amazing at using their lighting equipment. And, all or most of us who are here have our work on public display. You’re welcome to view mine. Photography isn’t my full-time job, I do portraiture on the side of my day job and I really enjoy it and I know my work is good. And, you jump from defending yourself saying you changed the cost of your lighting workshop from $25 to free and now you made 6 figures in your first year doing photography? I’m sorry to sound judgemental but I smell BS with that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,306 through 1,320 (of 3,098 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.