Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Fauxtogs who should end up on the main page…

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1,156 through 1,170 (of 3,098 total)
  • Author
    nesgran
    Participant

I wonder if he accidentally uploaded the wrong shot but the after looking through the rest of his shots I’m guessing the 90% they reject shoot with cameraphones

JCFindley
    Participant

My guess is that image has never sold and really, the 10% acceptance rate isn’t that selective when you consider how many people take a picture, put it on FB, have someone say, “Wow, you should sell that” and then put it on an art site along with a picture of a duck in the local park, three shots of their cat, and four of their grandchild eating nachos at a baseball game. (It is a LOT btw.)

I just don’t see how someone labeled a top artist on the site could think, “Wow, THIS needs to be on my site!” Or conversely, how in the world that top artist label is applied.

Katie
    Participant

I’m going with this one:

haha, not!

http://www.ugallery.com/photography-leg-series-1

IHF
    Participant

Katie,

I actually really like that shot.  The symmetry, the balance, and the bold colors against the flat colorless pavement.  Would I buy it?  Probably not, but only because my decor wouldnt allow for it. but I believe it was well thought out and executed.  The series is nice, and refreshingly different. Might make a good coffee table book when the series is finished.

IHF
    Participant

And yes, Im serious.  This guy knows what he is doing, and I bet his professional work is amazing, if this is just a personal project.  Going to look him up tonight after I get the kids to bed.  Thanks for sharing it 🙂 very excited to see his other work

IHF
    Participant

(world’s fastest tuck in lol)  I was right!  His work is fabulous!!! He has more talent in one of his eye lashes than I have in my entire being *clapping*

http://caseyrodgersphoto.com/#/client/template.xml?aaa=home

Katie,

I think you need to spend less time at YANAP and more time seeking the good stuff, and studying composition and light.  I’ve been lurking on this thread on and off, and what JC had posted got my interest up.  Then I click on your link and WOW!  So glad I visited today

BCLC
    Participant

OMG!! He is amazing!! Well said IHF.

IHF
    Participant

I guess the series IS finished though 🙁 I would love to see about 10 more.  But, it looks as though he’s done with it and finished in 2010.  I wonder if he has some sort of dumping ground somewhere.  Maybe a 500 page or a flickr or something.  I’d like to see more of his street

iliketag
    Participant

I usually look at multiple shots before posting anything here. The only thing I didn’t fancy about the one Katie posted was the shadow in the lower left-hand corner. Since there wasn’t one in the upper right it looks funky to me.

This facebook group I joined for photographers in my state and they posted a wedding album that people could add to today… Oh Lordy it’s been interesting.
    This one takes the cake though!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200857912026251&set=gm.10151703406258987&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

clever_kiwi
    Participant

Here are a couple of examples from New Zealand I found on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nicole-Mennell-Photography/252279871488197?fref=ts not the worst about but a recent post sums it up perfectly, typical fauxtog talk, I cant attach a screen shot but will copy and past below;

“Every now and then I get the question `are you a qualified photographer’ ANSWER: NO! 
    I have taught myself everything I know, I haven’t just brought a camera an decided I wanted to be a photographer, ask any of my family members or child hood friends Ive always loved photography I would say as growing up I wanted a career as a photographer or to be a `ice cream tester’ . What pushed me into making this happen was the birth of my first child Axton , i forever photographed him edited the photos I then gave birth to my 2nd child Taytun I was a mother of two at 18 an wanted to prove to the ones that doubted me I WILL ACHIEVE MY DREAM I HAD SINCE I WAS AT PRIMARY SCHOOL. I Brought my first dslr camera, googled photography, camera settings, read books, played with my camera. I have achieved my goals, worked as hard as the ‘qualified’ am a full manual mode photographer an achieved amazing pictures I Am learning still but anyone with many years experience still learns new things”

Here is another, https://www.facebook.com/RhodesPhotos

And another https://www.facebook.com/modephotographer?fref=ts

Plenty of them here.

iliketag
    Participant

Wow Kiwi! That quote from NicholeMennellPhotography is… just wow.

I have a HUGE pet peeve when it comes to people who cannot construct a readable sentence. I get that run on sentences happen online… but ones like that are nearly impossible to read! Have some respect for the people who have to read that nonsense, please!

The comments on there are nearly as bad as the quote itself. I’m all for achieving your dreams and rising above. Hell, if you’re a single mom at 18, life’s gotta be pretty damn hard. People must’ve been helping her out though if she could afford a camera with two littles at such a young age.
    People having the nerve to say that “anyone can be qualified” is ridiculous. They must not know what “qualified” means. If they’re looking at it in terms of: “You can hold the camera the right direction and press a button right?”, absolutely, anyone can be qualified… but the whole thing just makes me roll my eyes and wish I could smack some sense into the droves of people who, for some crazy reason, are liking her damn page!

Think there’s something in the water?
    /rant

seth
    Participant

Personally, I don’t like most of the legs photos, certainly not the one that was posted here.  I dislike the vignetting and the harsh shadow, both in more noticeable places as well as a thin line down both legs.

I see he does celebrities, but that doesn’t mean I have to like him.  😛  I think his lighting is too harsh in pretty much everything.  Does that make him a faux?  No.  I just don’t like that style.

But you guys sound like uber fan boys.  😛

IHF
    Participant

lol Seth 🙂  I did get carried away, did I? lol  It was just so unexpected.

This is where the whole “art is subjective”argument comes in.  Not when you shoot randomly at a subject and add a cool effect, preset, or action you found to try to make what you did look cool or when the occasional happy accidents happen. Bad photography, is bad photography with or without the editing.  There’s a lot of artists/photographers out there that I don’t care for or just don’t get, but never in a million would I label them a faux because of it

JCFindley
    Participant

That is the thing about “art” in general. It is a very subjective subject. If you took my best selling images and put them in a room and let a hundred people walk through you would have a hundred different opinions on the piece. One would buy it if they could afford it, had space for it and it fit their needs. One would absolutely hate it and would not be able to believe people pay good money for it and would probably post a link to it here. The other 98 would have varying positions in between the extremes.

The legs are actually pretty well thought out and well executed in my opinion. It is not my particular taste to go on my walls but I do actually see that as being marketable an someone likely will buy it. (If not more than one person.) I rarely call anyone doing “art” out as a faux for that reason so long as the image is well executed and not just a snapshot with lots of special effects done to try and suddenly make it art.

IHF
    Participant

Exactly JC,

I think family portrait/event togs need to remember they are selling a service, not their “artistic vision”.  Not that artistry isn’t involved , but…. Eh you know what I mean.  It’s just a different standard than “art” for the sake of art.  For one art it almost always paid for after the artist creates it, even when commissioned the artist will only receive pay to cover costs and then only make their commission after it is accepted, where as family/event photography is paid for before the service is provided.  It’s just less subjective and judged more on merit, skill, consistency, predictability, and reliability, rather than entirely on artistic merit, and personal taste and opinion like art is.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,156 through 1,170 (of 3,098 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.