Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Fauxtogs who should end up on the main page…

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 3,098 total)
  • Author
    halley
    Participant

I appreciate you taking the time to look at the photographers that I sent you earlier, but I am not sure you got the point of that. It was not for you to critic their work but for you to compare the quality. Theirs far outshines your overall quality. Also I want to reiterate that I am not trying to be nasty to you. Just giving you the honest critique that you asked for earlier.

haylott
    Participant

We are only doing what she does to everyone else everyday.  And this would have stopped a long time ago if she were able to just take critique gracefully without making excuses. Also she started this forum to ridicule other people’s work so how is it wrong for us to do the same to her? Also I think peoples honesty is being mistaken for being mean. The truth is hard to hear huh brown eye

mykelhelene
    Participant

Other people are being honest, I was being honest to her earlier also, but some of it is coming across pretty rude and mean.

BriDavis90
    Participant

Cicely, you’re being overly dickish. I’ve just been sitting here reading and you’re really just trying to cause problems. Who cares what camera she uses? Not everyone has thousands of dollars to throw down on a super expensive camera when they are just starting out/struggling to run their business. And I like the photo of the little girl dressed like a mermaid. The lighting may be a little dark for my taste but overall it’s a well composed shot. You’re just being petty >.>

manny
    Participant

Here’s a Craigslist ad of one local fauxtog. Her wording says it all:

“I’m a Graphic Designer who has decided to try her hand at Photography and am looking to capture your special moments for a fraction of what other Photographers might charge you”

http://winchester.craigslist.org/crs/3633473087.html

cicely
    Participant

I honestly did not think that I was being rude or mean. I sincerely apologize if my comments sounded that way. It was not intentional. I genuinely mean that. I was only trying to prove double standard, meaning that Brown Eyed Girl criticizes people on here but does the same thing. I am truly sorry for it coming across the way it did.

manny
    Participant

This one is advertising as “professional photographer”

My toddler takes better pictures with my cellphone…

http://winchester.craigslist.org/crs/3553794840.html

jenna504
    Participant

Wowza I was out shooting weddings all weekend. I did not realize that I started such a war on here. Brown Eyed Girl I did not mean to cause such a storm. There is way too much stuff to respond to everything, so all I will say is….Some of the people on here have been very harsh. Others have been very direct. Although I do not agree with the method used by some people I have to say that they are all right….even cicely (I think you could have been a little nicer about it).  Listen to what they are saying because they are all 100% correct in their critiques of not only your work but also your personality.  Also take this as a lesson. Art is way too subjective for us to judge so freely, and as you can see it is difficult to have your passion scrutinized by strangers for everyone to see.  I really did not mean for it to be this way when I commented on Friday, but if you can take something positive from this I hope it taught you a lesson in humility. Please take it from a seasoned photographer, you will soar if you stay out of the forums and pick up your camera. Take time to perfect your art instead of trashing everyone else’s.

cameraclicker
    Participant

I have a Rebel T2i.  It has about 35,000 frames on the shutter.  I think it is an awesome body for the price.  A 5D Mk III is about a stop better in low light and a 1Dx is about 2 stops better.   Both those bodies cost a lot more.  If you are shooting demanding subjects, the more expensive bodies offer greater capabilities.  Landscapes, cityscapes, portraits and wedding photography don’t strike me as usually needing more than a Rebel T2i/T3i/T4i.

cameraclicker
    Participant

This one is advertising as “professional photographer”

My toddler takes better pictures with my cellphone…

http://winchester.craigslist.org/crs/3553794840.html

Manny, what are you seeing in those four photos that I am not?  If your toddler can get better photos with your cell phone, post a few of them.

fstopper89
    Participant

Cicely, yikes, I’ve criticized obvious fauxtogs on here, just like the other posters have done in this thread and others. This is after all, a website made to point out horrible photography, and those of us on here who are photographers use technical/artistic knowledge to give reasons why it’s all bad. You name-calling and making very blatant, just mean comments toward me specifically couldn’t really be unintentional, but whatever, I mean if I were making such statements it would be very intentional. So just leave it at that. Calling people fauxtographers and pointing out terrible flaws would not have it’s place on a different type of website, such as a website devoted to users giving each other critiques or a website talking about improving your business, etc.

Truth is only hard to hear when it’s not backed up by facts and instead replaced with exaggerations and nasty comments and sarcasm like you’re doing.

I have to say too, the local photog (or fauxtog? not really sure) I referred to as “creepy” really, uh, is pretty creepy. He’s got a pervy side to him. Someone I know lives with him as a housemate and she said she once caught him spying through her cracked bedroom door at her while she was doing the deed. That is creepy. He also goes to womens’ homes and does their makeup for shoots and another young woman I know had him come over to choose outfits for her and do practice poses, and apparently the poses were risque and he promised to not show the photos to anyone but her to help coach her, and then a week later a mutual friend of theirs told her he saw these photos the guy took. He had asked to take my pictures at one time and I was glad I did not, after hearing these stories (and yes, these were firsthand stories from the people who dealt with him). I honestly don’t know what his intentions are, he seems truly into photography and at times has some pretty good images, but I’m not the only one around here who suspects he has ulterior motives or side-benefits if you know what I mean. However to give him the benefit of the doubt, I’m sure middle-aged male photographers do have a harder time NOT coming off as creepy when they do model photography. Women are naturally less-threatening in that situation.

After buying a 5D Mark II it was a world of difference to me in it’s performance, specifically shooting a wedding/other low-light situations. I’m sure you can shoot some weddings with a Rebel just fine, especially if it’s primarily an outdoor wedding with more available light, but I would never want to go into a wedding without a camera body that could handle it and some fast lenses (that is purely my opinion, as I’m sure some of you have gotten very high-quality shots with an entry-level body also in that situation). I still really like my Rebel for some things. I have a 35mm prime lens and it works more effectively on a crop body as a fast portrait lens than it does on a full-frame due to the crop factor. (Soon I’ll get a 50 or 85 once I can afford it).

Those on craigslist are pretty bad, funny how the guy says “I’m a real professional, not just some amateur with a point and shoot!” when the photos are all snapshot-y and the one studio photo just was so blah.

Also to the person seemingly inferring I’m unfit to teach a photography workshop: I’m no college professor teaching a semester on photography. I certainly would not be qualified to do that. My classes went over VERY well. I taught a beginner class on things like types of photography, using photos to tell a story, composition, focal point and subject, using elements such as lines, shapes, patterns, and angles, avoiding distracting backgrounds, etc. and successfully got a class full of mostly children so interested in photography. It’s amazing to see young minds so engaged in something they didn’t know much about at all. These kids started out with “I have a camera and like taking pictures” to being able to identify what the rule of thirds was, what the subject of a photo was, what a nice background in a photo is, what an action photo vs. a portrait was, etc. The other class I taught was how to shoot in manual on a DSLR. Of course some of the participants didn’t actually have DSLRs (instead, those larger version point and shoot cameras, oh well) but out of the 6 participants about 3 of them were VERY interested and engaged (these were mainly adults). It was especially wonderful to hear the one woman, the only one who actually had and brought a DSLR, said she took my beginner class last year and got really interested in photography, bought the DSLR, but always kept it on Auto, and now is so excited to practice what she learned this weekend. She was taking lots of notes on the handouts I gave. That class was talking about: exposure and how it’s controlled mainly by shutter speed, aperture, and ISO (and what these all mean and how they relate), depth of field, different kinds of lenses and focal lengths and how they affect how the photo looks, etc. My goal was if I can get even a few people engaged, it was a success.

Mrs Woo
    Participant

I noticed this went crazy, and had gotten tired of the same complaints the same … type of images, and even in a way how it sometimes seemed like people were finding their competition’s least impressive images and pasted them in here and laughed at them.  Hadn’t realized where it went.  Kind of fascinating.

How do you guys find some of these people?  I’m curious because someone who ‘loved’ a seriously bad family photo session has now put out their own shingle (they are just starting a photography degree at the local college, but don’t know how to set their own shutter speed or aperture yet).  I’m afraid to post them here because I don’t want to upset them, but they so fit what people are frustrated with here.

Mrs Woo
    Participant

On the ‘amateur with a point and shoot’ – I know one of those who has a professional photography page on Facebook and sells her images.  I kind of end up astonished by that, to be honest.  I wish I could afford her vacations.  🙁

Cam
    Participant

Camera doesn’t matter, it’s the person using it, and anyway invest in a good lens before a good body. A 24-70mm f2.8 on an 1100D would be better than an 18-55  on a 1D, if the 1D took EF-S lenses

halley
    Participant

Brown Eyed Girl I believe you were talking to me when you referred to the college professor. Please listen carefully because this is the last time I will respond in this post.  I was very respectful to you and gave you honest/accurate critiques on your photographs. I did not take personal jabs at you like others.  Based on my experience and knowledge I told you what you are doing wrong from an art and business perspective. And I also gave you solutions to the problems that you are having.  Your reaction to my constructive criticism is appalling.  I really felt bad for you when I began reading all of the posts about your attitude and I thought some were going way overboard. Sadly I can see that they are right. You are unable to take criticism in a gracious manner. You do make excuses for your shortcomings instead of creating solutions to better your art. I have many students who start off just like you and rarely to they make it. I am deeply saddened by this as well because you have a lot of talent and ambition it seems. It is a shame that you are going to waste it on a piss poor attitude.

Also to anyone else reading this please don’t stop growing as an artist or human being. It is a sad state when you get to the point that you cannot improve. Good luck to you B.E.G

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 3,098 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.