Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Fauxtogs who should end up on the main page…

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 3,098 total)
  • Author
    cicely
    Participant

BROWN EYED GIRL JUST STOP TALKING!!! You do so much of it and when someone tries to challenge you, a million excuses come out….we know all about your life and this is supposed to be a photography forum…sheesh get some friends or something…oh wait we know all about your friends lives too…and cam her excuses may be “valid” but there are so many of them…at some point you have to stop justifying your faults and just accept the fact that you aren’t the best. the recent comments have all been right…maybe you should go back and reread some of the things you have posted here because you are in straight up denial girl. And i’m sorry that I can’t be as nice as Jenna and Intuition to you…to me you just sound like a whiney little spoiled brat. get over yourself

Cam
    Participant

No, it wasn’t aimed directly at you, and I’m sorry if you were offended.  It was a general comment aimed at everyone still using the imperial system. It was not intended to be thought of as a “dig” at anyone.

Am I the only one here who uses Metric?

Brown eyed girl – You don’t need people to shoot outside in the snow, maybe try some snowy landscapes?  If done right they look pretty cool.

haylott
    Participant

oh crap i think cicely said what most of us have been thinking for a while. glad someone finally had the guts to say whats been on my mind. thanks mate

cam you are not the only one. stay strong. there are others like us

My Heart
    Participant

Hey, guys?  Can we agree to disagree / i.e., have our own valuable opinion – for a little while?  If anyone isn’t busy, do you think it would be possible to critique my work?  I just posted my site, and I’m the “Can Take Critique” girl.  My work, on my site link: http://awjasman.wix.com/my-heart

Critiques and / or criticism is welcome! Thanks!

haylott
    Participant

My heart I am sure that you will receive a 17 page document from brown eye very soon detailing everything that you have done wrong and how she would have done it so much better. Just kidding. Well not really but lets talk about you

Two questions: What type of camera and lens are you shooting with, and is that your business website?

cameraclicker
    Participant

My Heart:  I visited your page.  I think your blurb is good.  The page header suggests music is playing somewhere but nothing is coming out of my speakers and I can’t find a speaker control that works.  The motion is distracting.  I am not suggesting I want to hear music.  Generally I recommend against web pages playing music when the page opens because if it is opened in an open concept office, it will disturb many people and may embarrass the person who found your page.  I digress.

The page layout is a bit busy too, and it takes a lot of work to navigate it.  I also feel there is more gallery above and below what I see displayed but again, controls seem to be lacking.  Getting through all your photos using the click to open, click to close find the next photo to click and repeat is more work than I really wanted to do.  Fortunately there are dozens rather than hundreds or thousands of photos.  It looks like the page is using Flash.  Flash does not work with some tablets and cell phones.  How does your target audience feel about the page layout and controls?

I’m not sure how to identify a photo on your page.  I am looking at a flower on a man’s lapel in I do 2.  To me the focus should be on the flower.  DOF seems very shallow and seems to be on the seam between the sleeve and body of the suit jacket.  That puts it two to three inches in front of the flower where I think it needs to be.

In I do 1, …drea & Shane, 03.28.09, is on a glass.  There is space on the glass behind Shane, which leaves me wondering why the glass was not rotated to display the bride’s entire name.

In Bridal, a bride is laying on the floor.  The photo looks quite yellow.  Fixing the white balance would improve the photo.

Also in bridal, a bride is in front of a window, bum to camera and twisting her head around to look toward the camera.  Not a flattering pose.  Also, several areas of the photo are burned out — including some of the dress, even at the floor!  If the view out the window was nice, it would have been good to expose for that, then fire a flash to light the interior and the bride.

On the same page, a bride holding lots of red roses has been smoothed to a plastic appearance.

Some photos are tilted.  There has already been a lot of discussion here about Dutch angles, so I will leave it at that.

What is it about wedding dresses!  Put a wedding dress on a girl that only weighs 100 lbs soaking wet, then take a photo of her square from the back.  Suddenly she has a very large bum!  Why?!?  I’m sure it’s the dress!

In I do 2, a woman in an orange top is having her makeup done.  It is tilted a little but otherwise looks pretty good.

I think a combination of a little more care/attention to detail when shooting and better post processing would yield dividends.  Perhaps I am looking at old photos and you have already improved, since the glasses photo was 2009?

haylott
    Participant

Camera clicker that is why I asked about the website. I agree that it is very busy and difficult to navigate.  If that is your business page, I would consider revamping it so that it is more user friendly. It was hard to pick from the busy collage, and clicking to open and close is tedious. For me the entire site was distracting.

Your images show that you have a talent for art. Take time to work on your technical skills and you will improve.  From what I saw your photos have alot of noise. Are you shooting at a high ISO? Are you applying noise reduction when you post process? What type of camera are you shooting with?

Intuition
    Participant

CAM: oh no I wasn’t offended, really… More like I really wasn’t trying to get in the middle, just point out how crazy some people are 😉 and no I’m sure your not the only one, I’m just really really bad at numbers and rudimentary math. Algebra I can do with a calculator no problem, ask me what 8×6 is and I’ll be here a minute. Even being a military spouse, changing military time over to ‘my time’ takes me a second, I have to minus two from it and i’ve had to use my fingers once or twice -_-;; Numbers were never my thing, and I’ve come to terms with it and can even laugh about it now 🙂

fstopper89
    Participant

WOW… I am appalled! We have some class-A assholes who just commented. I guess some of these posters have just failed to read my other posts on these forums! Nowhere did I say I was “the best” ever! Nor do I make “excuses.” Really, point those out to me. Reasons and excuses are different things. So I didn’t have enough money to continue college? Valid reason for many people. Go and vent your worthless steam somewhere else, not attacking people who didn’t do anything to you! And by the way, never have I been a spoiled brat. I’ve worked hard for every piece of equipment I own and my college education that I owe the lenders for the next decade for. I put a lot of effort into what I do and what I have, and am proud of that! I’ve worked multiple jobs, even jobs I’ve hated, just to pay my bills. I have never had anything handed to me on a silver platter. Just have been fortunate to have fallen into a few good opportunities in my life for my career development and I exude gratitude for them. Honestly some of the crap I’ve heard sounds like jealousy, so if it is, just please stick it somewhere else. Point is I know I am a good photographer, I know I’m not the best, but I also know I try to learn everything I can. You have a problem with that philosophy? This is a photography forum, so I’d appreciate if you stop attacking me personally. I’ve never ridiculed another photographer/fauxtog on this site for anything but their blatantly terrible photography. You’re in contrast, trying to imply I don’t have friends or a life, or something… of course you don’t know me.

So get over YOURSELF. If you have an actual critique about my photography then you can tell me.

I do have a few snowy landscape photos, but I was talking more about paid shoots and such. It’s just more difficult to get people who want to do it, hence why winter is kind of an off season for a lot of midwestern photogs. A lot more in-studio work goes on now, but I don’t have a studio. A guy I know is potentially buying a building for a business and he may rent out the front space for me, but it’s all a maybe right now, especially considering what I’d pay for rent. I’m hoping within the next year I can acquire some kind of studio space and some studio lighting.

My Heart
    Participant

Hey, um – just showed up to this forum; thought the comments would be under my “Can Take Critique” forum – I apologize.  I was sitting there, thinking no one was even noticing my site – and here you guys are commenting! Thank you!!

Except for BrownEyed.  I’m sorry; just been here less than a couple of hours and even I’M sick of you ALREADY.  This forum actually got on a subject other than you, and you STILL found a way to bring it back to you! No one is attacking you, and if you are really convicted of your feelings – why does it matter so much to validate yourself instead of just shutting the computer off??

Back to me.  I REALLY appreciate the comments / critiques / notes.  I’ll try my best to answer.  Haylott: I shoot with Nikon cams an lenses – a variety.  Yes, you can say this is a business site – although I’m too scared right now to actually seek business.  I just moved from Alabama to Chicago, so I quit my photog business for a little while.  Not knowing anyone here, I don’t have the whole “word of mouth” thing I had going on in AL.  (Moved b/c of hubby’s job, so I seriously don’t even know my neighbors.  That has been really hard, when I moved from my huge family [4 sisters] and everyone I’ve ever known [high school, college, etc.])   Side-note: BrowEyed, that wasn’t a dig at you b/c you didn’t go to college, I was just saying I went and I miss the contacts / friends I made there.

CameraClicker and Haylott:   I really don’t know how to get the word out about my photography.  Been doing it since 2007.  I can tell that I’ve increased in both proficiency and efficiency.  I started out just teaching myself by using Photoshop and Elements.  I know this sounds crazy, but I just found out about how awesome it is to use Lightroom, as well as using actions / presets / overlays, etc. that are mass-produced, downloaded and used.  I’ve been going over some old gigs, and I’m loving how quick I can edit and how great they look now.  Yeah, I have a flash problem.  Never know when it’s too much or not enough; I just can’t get my flash right – ever.  I try to shoot manually more often, but have to rely on auto sometimes.

To address some points: I don’t know what it is about turning a girl around for a photo.  I just do it; they like it.  I’m not saying I like it – just that for weddings, girls want it.  I agree that the train / back of dress usually has a lot of detail, which is why I try to flatter the pic as much as possible.  Again – don’t really know how to manipulate light.  That is definitely my weakness.

Which girl w/ the red flowers looked plastic?  There are at least 2 girls w/ at least 2 bouquets of red flowers, and I’d like to edit it so it’s not plastic. I did try an HDR thing, but that could be the plastic look you’re seeing?? Not sure which photo you mean; I’m sorry.

I agree – I love the photo of the blonde lying on the floor – but again, poor lighting, it’s too yellow. I know.  I just don’t know how to fix it.  I did take a great one of her looking out a door; it’s like a barn door – the top half opens, bottom half is closed.  I really do like that pic of her – maybe that one is ok??

Yes, there is music.  I agree, it could be distracting.  I just added that today, so I’m open to any and all input re: music.  The galleries are definitely what I’d call “controlled chaos.”  Every pic in the galleries can be accessed – even if you only see the top or bottom, you can still click to open / enlarge it; click to close it.  Or, there is a very prominent “x” on the right hand top corner to close the pic and return to the collage gallery.  I see that having to explain it so often -there must be something wrong w/ it.  I’ll change the layout, making it more user friendly.

Above all – I just truly thank you both for looking at it and providing feedback.  I’m very much still a novice, even though I’ve been doing this day after day for almost 6 years.  The only good thing that can be said, and I appreciate you both for saying it, is that I feel that I have an “eye” for it, and I definitely look at it as art, not as just another check to be deposited in the bank.  I do a lot of things for free, just to get the experience – which drives my husband crazy.  But, it’s actually very soothing for me to spend my time (all day, if needed) to just get that “ONE” shot – the one that everyone can’t quit looking at.  I try to edit as best as I can, but again – I should be taking pics that don’t require much editing.  I just don’t know what I’m doing, for the most part.  But, I still love it, with all My Heart.  🙂  Hehehe, cheesy, I know – that’s what I was going for. 🙂

Seriously, I appreciate it.  I am very flattered that you guys took the time to look at and critique my site.  I’m going to get better.  I’m going to get cards printed up.  I’m going to make my site and layout more user friendly.  I’m going to read as much as I can about lighting.    I’m going to bother my neighbors.  I’m going to make friends with the old lady at Walgreen’s – b/c she’s pretty cool, and b/c she might know someone someday that needs a photog.  Thanks, guys.  You calling me out was well received.  And I can’t tell you how much you saying I have an eye for art, that I could do it if I get some technical things fixed, makes me feel.  You’re basically saying what I already feel and know – but I just needed someone to kinda point the way.  THANK YOU!!!  And please, any others, keep it coming!! 🙂

Cam
    Participant

This hate on Brown Eyed Girl is getting to a point where we should all reconsider what we’re saying.  At least be more polite, these comments are brutal.

My Heart – Your site is good – but can be a bit hard to navigate, and the music is a bit distracting (as others have mentioned). Apart from that most of the photos are pretty good. Is there any reason for the photo on the main page?

fstopper89
    Participant

Yeah, I’ve gotten to the point of laughing… I offered My Heart honest critique and here even she is bashing me, and thanking the others for their critique. I mean come on!

@My Heart, my response was directed at the recent comments directed at me, not you asking for a critique. I commented in your other thread you created. That doesn’t mean I was pulling attention back at myself. Obviously, I’m doing to defend myself when people dish out ridiculous, unfounded shit at me! Who would not?

Lots of people here are hiding behind a screen name, not offering any photos up for critique, and saying my critiques are not even valid, when they are. I have given reasons to back up the critiques I’ve given. Just stop everyone. I’m just the flavor of the virtual day to hate, because people seem to need that these days.

My Heart
    Participant

BrownEyed – please see the other thread.  I apologized – and now, I’m apologizing and explaining to all, that I wasn’t “bashing” you or “hating on” or anything.  I don’t even know you.  I was simply frustrated b/c it appeared that I might actually be getting some useful information, but then it “appeared” that you were turning the convo back to you.  To which, I apologized in my other thread – about an hour or so ago.  I am sorry that I was frustrated and I aimed that frustration at you.  That wasn’t right, and I really didn’t say anything other than the basic statement I live by, which is – if you don’t like it, go somewhere that is better / more fun / where your opinion can be spoken.  That’s all.  Sort of, if you don’t like what’s on the TV, change it.  So, again – I apologize to BrownEyed for getting frustrated at her and, I thank BrownEyed for her critique.  I would love more advice, since it seems now that everyone is on the same page as far as any critiques of my photography and website go.  I am very thankful for your points and will change the things I can.  For the things I know I need to work on, but have no idea how to do it – please, any and all of you, please feel free to speak your mind.  Including, and especially, you – BrownEyed.  You made some good points. <3  Please read my response in the other thread; you might think a little differently about me – I’m not a basher or a hater.

Thank you to all, and please continue to help by letting me know how I need to achieve my goals, and with what.  Thanks!! 🙂

My Heart
    Participant

Cam – the photo on the main page didn’t really start out as a theme, or a “reason.”  It was a pic I took of my niece for her Birthday a couple of years ago.  However, the color in the background matched the wix site I picked – yeah, I know, not totally professional for using a template and free photog website, but I’m really just a newbie.

Anyway, the photo of my niece can’t really be changed – it’s also on the last page, which is unintentional – the site just did that, but that’s ok.  I kinda like it.  And I like my photo, even though it’s blurry.  The colors seem to all coordinate, unintentionally.  Not being conceited, it’s just that I’m hardly ever on the “other” side of the camera.  That’s one of the only pics of me – and by that, I think there have been maybe 3 pics taken of me in the past 7 years, lol.

Back to the main pic… why do you ask, Cam?  I thought it kind of gave the site both an “innocent” yet “edgy look, as well as a picture of something you couldn’t quite put your finger on.  Kinda like, you don’t really know how old she is – pretty, thoughtful and wise looking eyes, but the freckles look young, it appears she’s not wearing anything, so again – you have the contrast of the young / innocent / vulnerable person or is she the tempting wiser than her age seductress / stab you in the back but looks completely innocent kind of complexity.  Does that make sense?  And btw, yes – she’s wearing a sleeveless dress.  🙂  I don’t care how old my “baby” niece is – she’s still “MY baby”  <3

haylott
    Participant

Brown Eye. please take a look at how you respond. no one said anything about your “critiques” being invalid. they said that your attitude in general sucks. and no one was blatantly disrespectful to you. everyone was just stating their honest opinion. but i did notice that you are the only one who has used swear words….”class A assholes”. come on show some respect for yourself and for your business. On other posts you have called photographers in your area “creepy” , you have given names and posted things that you “heard” from your friends. you don’t even have first hand knowledge sometimes. on a comment on the first page you stated ” I vow to never name my future children idiotic names like Rayne and Shyne (or name a boy any name with a Y in place of another vowel like Aaidyn, or name a girl Nevaeh, Charity, Chastity,etc) lol.” You have also argued every time someone critics your work or decision ie defending the term semi pro, defending the use of actions, defending the use of dutch angles, you get defensive about not finishing college (which is nothing to be ashamed of). You have teased people for misspelling words even.You talk about people who should not charge for your services but one post by you states “I took a few photography courses in college and thought i was good then but now i see that i was not” then you imediatley defend it with ” but it was a learning process and i never charged anyone for photos back then” then you immediately contradict yourself by saying “well except some family photos for a friend,didnt charge much, but then were horrible but they knew i was a beginner. what is that about? I have looked at your portfolio and the majority of your clients look extremely uncomfortable. I can post links to your site if you would like to see if people agree with me. Bottom line is you have very extensive technical knowledge and it shows in your work (that is a compliment btw). But your holding yourself back because your people skills seem to be lacking, which in turn will plateau your business. You seem very worried about what other people are doing instead of worrying about yourself. You can hate me and curse me out some more if that makes you feel better ,but it is true. we are not bashing you. only stating the obvious. please try to open your mind. i think people are just annoyed at the amount of personal information that you give with each critique. So be mad if you want to but it is all accurate and true. that is how you come across

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 3,098 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.