Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Fauxtogs who should end up on the main page…

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 3,098 total)
  • Author
    jenna504
    Participant

@ Brown Eyed Girl. I have not become “obsessed” with you at all. It takes less than a second to take a screen shot. I have seen you make excuses multiple times. I even stated that you would try to discredit my criticism and that is why I took the screenshots, so that if the time came to defend my critique with solid proof I could. I can see from your response to me, and also your responses in the past that you get extremely defensive when someone criticizes you. Imagine that?? You did not ask for my advice but here it is, public, for everyone to see. Not the best feeling in the world huh?

Your photos are average at best. However your attitude and arrogance make you extremely unprofessional. Based solely on the way you talk to people I would never hire you. I agree with above commenter. Put the computer away and go take some pictures. Stop “obsessing”  over the photogs in your area(you do that a lot as well) and work on your own faults. You will be a better person and better photographer for it. And for goodness sake please stop telling people about all of your friends who WANTED you to shoot their pictures but couldn’t  blah blah blah excuses blah blah. You could use a lesson in composition and in manners my dear.

fstopper89
    Participant

I can’t wait to get out and start taking pictures, but it’s been deathly cold here in WI, a little harsher of a winter than the last few. I’ve wanted to even venture out a little in the snow but you’re hard-pressed to find many clients or even friends willing to do that. (If I had a studio, it would be different, as I’d start focusing these winter months on child/baby studio photography. But I do not yet have enough experience using studio lighting or setups on my own, except for a little I did when I worked for the other photographer, but it’s something I would need to practice with once I get that kind of equipment).

It’s not copyright infringement posting them temporarily as an illustration of something. I am not using the photos to sell anything. Those were the edits I showed my friend after she asked me to do it. There are a few actions applied but not anything near full-strength. More so workflow actions. I first adjust highlights and shadows, saturation, hue, noise, sharpness, etc in Lightroom, then take into Photoshop for some more adjustments, which often include some actions, then do the final adjustments and export from LR. There are people who rely on actions alone with no expertise in regular editing, I am not one of those.

I’m pretty sure the reason people have attacked me is because I put myself out there. In no way am I hiding behind a screen name or thinking this is completely anonymous.

I would gladly take constructive criticism on my work. I’m aware I have been using Dutch angles too much and that is a change I’m working on; however many of my photos from the past year (which account for many posted on my pages) do have that type of composition. I feel it’s good in some but have realized not in others.

I just don’t see why a few people here have gotten angry with me offering advice on things that I do know about. It’s not pompous. The point is to learn from someone who knows something, as I do from the other posters.  I’ve even defended some of the photographers people have linked here when I felt it was wrong for linking. Or said things like “they have several very strong images, though they tend to over-edit” etc. which should not sound pompous at all.

Why should I stop telling people about all the friends who wanted me to shoot their pictures “blah blah blah?” Yeah, one of my friends? Pretty sure that was the only person I’ve talked about here. Exaggeration is not very useful when speaking of facts. I wasn’t making an excuse, my friend and her fiance actually have very busy and conflicting work schedules, and because they wanted the photos done in the early fall, it didn’t happen.

I’m very excited to teach this workshop tomorrow for people who own a DSLR but don’t know how to shoot in manual. It’s nice to help people PROPERLY develop a skill in something that interests them. If anyone wants to say I’m not qualified to teach this, then I think you need to get your heads out of the sand!

jenna504
    Participant

Oh the excuses keep rolling in.  You are hopeless.  I am not angry, or even belittling you.  I am offering you constructive criticism which seems to be what these forums are all about.  Take it or leave it (I know you will leave it because you are just too good in your own eyes).  Your arrogant attitude far out-shadows your photographic skills. I am not the first to say this and I am sure I won’t be the last.  Open your mind to the fact that you are not as good as you think you are. Then you can grow and learn from it to become infinitely better. Trust me, there is a ton of potential for you but as of now you are average at best. Stop being so defensive and learn to be humble.  Then maybe you can attain your goal of becoming a full time professional photographer.

mykelhelene
    Participant

I live in LA, so I can understand why weather is constricting. It hits 50 degrees here and people refuse to go outside, yet I still convince friends, people I don’t know, and even in desperate times my own pets to take pictures. I fly to Seattle once a month, and I’ve taken photos there in 40 degree weather. Tomorrow I will be flying to Maryland, and my friends and I are planning to shoot outside once we get there, even though it will probably be 25-30 degrees. Either way there are other options. I’ve taken pictures using window light, lamp light… I have to agree with Jenna. No one is mad at you, and no one is trying to make you feel crappy, but we’re just pointing out what we see.

jenna504
    Participant

@ Mykelhelene she seams to be in denial, and very forgetful of what she posts. Thanks for being brave enough to point out the obvious with me. It makes me incredibly sad to see the outright bullying that goes on on this site.  Remember where you started, people. And as I have proven here tonight it is difficult to take criticism publicly, especially when you are blind to your own faults, so be gentle the next time you tears someone’s art to shreds.  There is a line between constructive criticism and just plain being mean; people on this website cross that line all to often.

fstopper89
    Participant

Ever tried taking pictures in 0 degree weather? Lol- that’s what I mean. If it were 40 degrees here people would be out in shorts (not kidding at all). It’s been hovering around 0 for the past two months, except one day last week when it rained, and then froze the next morning. It’s not lovely weather here. The only photos I’ve really taken were some snow sticking to trees stuff.

You never actually offered constructive criticism on my images. I’m always trying to learn better techniques, never have I alluded that I’m too good for that.

Can I see your portfolio also?

Now I am going to go deal with a bunch of drunk jerks at the bar. Have to do everything to keep cash rolling in.

jenna504
    Participant

Out of respect for my clients, and my partners I will not be posting my portfolio on this site.  I have seen the comments made about people’s appearances, outfit choices, weight, etc. I will not subject my clients to abuse. But I can give you my credentials.  I have a Master’s Degree in Fine Arts along with a bachelors degree in Geophysics. I am part owner of an upscale studio in the New Orleans area. We specialize in weddings and fashion editorials. We have 4 assistants and 3 photographers. The studio has been open for 14 years now and we have seen an increase in business each year.  We are currently booked through the middle of 2014. We also own a fine art gallery to showcase our landscape, nature, and still life photography. Our reputation and product speak for themselves.

And yes I am aware that this post makes me a hypocrite for “hiding behind anonymity”. Like I said we all have faults and  I am not an exception to that rule.

BriDavis90
    Participant

that escalated quickly

Intuition
    Participant

I’m not taking sides but I thought it funny to mention that my profile picture was taken outside in february in Fairbanks alaska at -10farenheight . Girl had basically a scarf wrapped around her and weight ten lbs soaking wet haha. If you ask enough people will do it.

Intuition
    Participant

Jenna you said “I have a Master’s Degree in Fine Arts along with a bachelors degree in Geophysics. ” wtf ( to be crass) haha that’s one of the weirdest combinations ever. I’m just curious how that happened ^ ^

jenna504
    Participant

Intuition, everybody needs a backup plan!! I come from a family of artists so I picked up some pointers on the way. I obtained my bachelors degree and got a job working as a geophysicist. Because of the flexibility of my schedule I was able to complete my apprenticeship with a master photographer and go to grad school for my Master’s Degree in my spare time. So basically I picked something that allowed for the time and financial stability to put in the time necessary to become what I am today. I did 2 years of grad school, 2 years as an assistant( unpaid), and 2 years as a backup shooter( also unpaid). You are right, it is a very random combination.

Intuition
    Participant

Back up plans work! Especially when dealing with an art field. It was just such a combination! Thanks for answering!

Cam
    Participant

I’m not taking sides, but Brown Eyed Girl does have some valid excuses, and degrees Celsius, do you speak it?!?

fstopper89
    Participant

Zero degrees Celsius is freezing, which is 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Zero degrees Fahrenheit is quite a bit colder than Zero Celsius.  I don’t know why the heck the US uses Farenheit, really, it doesn’t make logical sense. Last winter was oddly warm and snow-less compared to this year. We then had an 80-degree weekend in March. Normally, there is still melting snow on the ground in March and it’s around 50 degrees F at the most!

Not saying you can’t do photos out in this cold, but people as a whole are just not as willing, and it does make things a lot more difficult as a photographer also (freezing fingers and shivering, lol) I do love the snowy photos I’ve seen others put out. I’ve seen some beautiful engagement shoots done. My photog friend recently did a couples shoot and there were pretty snowflakes in their hair. It was stunning. I actually also got my car stuck in the snow when I did that photo of my brother, it looked not deep at all where I pulled into the park but it was A LOT deeper than I thought. (Good thing I carry a shovel in my car!)

I’m very thankful for the array of courses I took in college. I had changed my major a few times. I was in the journalism/advertising major first which allowed me to take some photography and digital computer application courses, and I did art electives since I’d always loved art. Even though I didn’t finish college the courses were very beneficial.

Intuition
    Participant

Cam was that a dig at me? No I don’t speak Celsius, I never learned it, and I have a hard time remembering how to convert it. But with the power of google, my -10 f would be -23 C if that helps. I’ve taken pictures in colder, mostly last year when we had the coldest winter in 30 years here in Fairbanks with way to many -50 F or -46 C degree days then I want to count.

I really didn’t mean anything by it, just that if you ask and plan you can usually find people to do crazy things. My first winter here, we had a heatwave and got to the positives in January and some of my crazy friends got dressed in bathing suits and cocktail dresses to do a stepford wives style BBQ shoot outside, it was barely in the positives. You make do. But it does help to have crazy ass friends.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 3,098 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.