Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Fauxtogs who should end up on the main page…

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1,936 through 1,950 (of 3,098 total)
  • Author
    FauxFighters
    Participant

^Its showing as content unavailable.

Kim, thanks for being mature about it and taking criticism as a learning experience.  If you have speedlights already, I would say one way to REALLY upgrade your game is to look into off-camera lighting.  Even with base lenses and a low end body, getting your light to be dynamic and not just the flat shots everybody else has will make your photography so much better.  For those outdoor shots, get a cheap light stand, umbrella/softbox and something like a pair of PocketWizard X units to remote trigger the flashes (Nikon has an IR system built into their cameras/speedlites.  Its a small investment compared to fancy lenses, new bodies, etc. but will make your shots so much more professional looking.  Then just learn to manually adjust for that light.  Strobist.com is one of the best websites for teaching how to use off-camera flash.  They even have very simple walkthroughs that explain a cheap setup and how to use one flash, two flashes, etc.  Good luck and never be satisfied with your work, but always be looking to learn more and continue to grow.

nesgran
    Participant

I’ve got a couple of Yongnuo flashes and radio transmitters and I can’t fault them. Frankly the only speedlight upgrade I could see myself doing is a half dozen canon 600 RTs. If you have three flashes I would get a four pack of the rf-603s or a four pack of yn-622cs if your flashes will work properly with the ETTL commands from it. The 603s can be a little annoying if you try to put a speedlight on top of it as there is no screw fastening to keep it in place. They don’t fall off if they are put on the camera at least. Get yourself two cheap light stands and two white shoot through umbrellas. The Westcott ones are pretty good and cheap. It should all come to around $200 if you shop around a bit while still getting decent stuff.

The main problem I see with your shots is they are over flashed with a direct flash. Direct flash can work really well but mainly if you are a paparazzi or for portraits if you get a ring flash instead. A decent set up would be two flashes behind umbrellas up and at an angle with the last speedlight from behind to give a bit of rim light. Obviously that is a completely generic set up that needs changing as circumstances change, especially outdoors with the sun.

Second problem is that a lot of your shots are overexposed. There is high key and there is over exposed, yours is the latter I’m afraid.

jessnaylor6
    Participant

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=215052625232087&__user=639793638

maybe it’s just me, but WHY does this page have 18k likes and so many people?

cameraclicker
    Participant

maybe it’s just me, but WHY does this page have 18k likes and so many people?

Are you kidding?  Look at that great watermark she has!  And who doesn’t like a girl wearing next to nothing, smeared with grease, sitting on their work bench!

OK, OK, I’m being sarcastic again.

1000 visitors each clicked Like 18 times, or probably 500 visitors were paid to click Like 36 times.

There is a remote chance she gets all those likes because of her bubbly personality.

KatarinaLOL
    Participant

Jessnaylor6 – They have that many likes because they participate in “Like Ladders” on Facebook.

fstopper89
    Participant

@Foxtog- you thought that one was bad? Lol.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=388464617868971&set=pb.385294661519300.-2207520000.1380853674.&type=3&theater

For real though- Kourtney is local to me. I haven’t seen her post anything recently so maybe she got burned out. She “exhibited” at this shoddy art gallery once that went out of business within the first year (because the owner took anything and everything). I went to see her stuff out of curiosity and she showed me her camera- it was in her purse, and a PowerShot.  She apparently went to the tech college for graphic design but seeing her stuff she’s posted I have no idea how she passed or got her associate’s degree. My professors in college for similar courses would have instantly flunked someone for that work, and I am not exaggerating at all. Not even trying to be mean.

Side note- I received a message via my FB photography page tonight that said “So is it true you are the owner of two other community pages on Facebook that trash other photographers work?” I have no idea who the person is, she has a private profile, nor do I know how she made that conclusion. If it’s someone visiting this site, I DO NOT admin any other FB pages besides my professional one and a volunteer group page (not photography-related) nor do I post on those FB pages that trash photography. So you have the wrong person.

fstopper89
    Participant

Kim, I think you are almost there. Just work on the things said here. As long as you have the desire to learn and can take criticism you will always improve.

Adams707
    Participant
    Adams707
    Participant

He even has a model agency

https://www.facebook.com/RockKandymgmt

This photo makes me wonder if he’s having sexual relations with these young naive girls

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=580547655339873&set=a.566515666743072.1073741882.535989789795660&type=1&theater

ebi
    Participant

@Adams

It’s entirely possible. One of my friends, when he was shooting, would test girls all the time in his apartment. His thing was to get them naked on his bed and photograph them and then occasionally, if the girl was feeling it, they’d get it on. I’m not making a judgement about what is right or wrong in the situation – they were always two consenting adults. But he at least took really beautiful photographs. I’m not saying that RockKandy is taking untasteful nudes, because they aren’t all trashy, but they aren’t great either.

ebi
    Participant

whew, i think maybe monkeybutt is gone. I was worried there for a moment b/c she was getting all comfy making herself at home and even hanging a family portrait. Please resume posting horrible photos!

joehomeowner
    Participant

@ebi, I agree that they are two consenting adults, but ask yourself, “Is it professional?” The answer is resoundingly no.

Would a lawyer sleep with a client? UNPROFESSIONAL. ILLEGAL IN MANY PLACES.

Would a doctor sleep with a patient? UNPROFESSIONAL. ILLEGAL IN MOST PLACES.

Would a professor sleep with a student? UNPROFESSIONAL. NOT ILLEGAL IN MANY CASES, BUT IT WILL GET YOU FIRED.

You don’t sleep with your clients if you’re a professional (unless you’re a prostitute). That’s the easiest thing to judge. Now, you could sleep with A CLIENT if they are, perhaps, somebody you’re already sleeping with. However, moving in on a client, especially when one is at your mercy in a compromising position is completely unprofessional in all professions. So yes, we can judge him.

wtf
    Participant
    ebi
    Participant

@wtf…great find…all you see is the football. you completely miss the albino bambino in that shot.

@joehomeowner
    – yeah it’s unprofessional, to a degree. the girls aren’t really his client though. they are just subjects. Richardson is known for propositioning his subjects. many models have been turned off by it. Some have spoken out about it:

http://nymag.com/thecut/2010/03/more_of_terry_richardsons_form.html

jessnaylor6
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1,936 through 1,950 (of 3,098 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.