Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum Fauxtographer running rampant

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    pgbrown0517
    Participant

The concept of people harshly criticizing “fauxtographers” for bad photography but doing so with bad grammar and bad spelling is a bit ironic, I think. Example: “Her and another photographer …” This subdivision is full of glass houses.

isnwm
    Participant

The website is called “You Are Not A Photographer”, NOT “You are Not an English Major”. If you don’t like the site or the criticism on these forums, you know where the door is. If the criticism offends you, then we can all probably assume you’re a fauxtographer yourself.

dont.care
    Participant

hahaha

fackin grahmer gnatzi” dafuq pisy en yor wheeties?/ beeeyatch

pgbrown0517
    Participant

Well done! It always amazes me how people who dish trash online have such a thin skin about their literacy levels. Any credibility you may have had to critique anything just flew out the window when your little tantrum flew in.

I did not say I don’t like the criticism. Where did you read that? I think it’s perfectly valid to call out people who falsely pretend to be pros in any field, although being a fauxplumber can cause clients a lot more strife than being a fauxtographer. But there is a productive way to criticize. One can be forceful, blunt, and pointed without lowering oneself to unseemly levels. It is up to each of us to decide when we cross the line.

As to me, well, friend, you should take out a lens wipe and clean your crystal ball. I have never offered my services for sale to do portraits, weddings, events, or any such thing. I’m not skilled or trained in those areas. I have a degree in journalism and formal training in writing, design, photo selection, typography, and, gasp, copy editing. I’ve done all those things for a living, working for real employers who have HR departments and stuff. So wrong-o, I am not a faux-anything.

But just so you don’t think I’m hiding behind anonymity, here is a link to my stuff on Flickr, and you can call me whatever you want to if that helps you work off tension resulting from a fight with your spouse or something. Any portraits you see there are taken for my own practice and enjoyment. Including the ducks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photochaser_phil/

So, here’s hoping for thicker skins for all!

Oh, in case any of you are real photographers of the caliber of my pro friends and are members of the PPA, here’s a little something you agreed to:

“As a requirement for admission to and retention of membership and participation in this Association, each member and participant shall agree to use the highest levels of professionalism, honesty and integrity in all relationships with colleagues, clients and the general public.
    • Strive to present all photographic services in surroundings and in a manner that reflects the highest levels of professionalism.
    • Use the highest levels of honesty, professionalism and integrity.
    • Not use any marketing or competitive practice which violates any Federal Trade Commission, or other Federal or State regulatory agency rule or regulation, or Federal or State statute or any decision of any Federal or State Court; and
    • In all dealing with fellow professional photographers, students and others who aspire to be professional photographers, I shall share the knowledge and skill of professional photography.
    • Support efforts for and assist in the education of all interested persons and the general public in the art and science of professional photography.”

Integrity … general public … professionalism … share the knowledge and skills … integrity … with others who aspire … good stuff. Love that word, integrity.

dont.care
    Participant

Dude, shut the fuck up you anal retentive oxymoron. No one cares. If you can’t/wont/don’t like it–Get the fuck off the page..

P.S. Blow me bitch 😉

PPA can kiss my ass too–I don’t need to be a member of a ‘club’ to be successful..

Here’s hoping for you to strap on your wax wings and fly into the sun

isnwm
    Participant

Just go away ha ha. This thread is over a month old. How bored do you have to be to troll down that far and nitpick on one grammatical error ? I haven’t used any profanity, or any overt harsh words of criticism towards the fauxtographer I’m speaking of. Out of all the comments on this thread, you feel the need to specifically direct your attention towards me. Just do everyone a favor and get off my thread, and off this site. It’s obviously not for you.

isnwm
    Participant

Uh oh ! I had a typo. Overt is supposed to be overly. Here comes another English lesson. Every one get your pencils & notebook out.

fstopper89
    Participant

Ok I think people are being overly harsh on pgbrown. We all should be held to higher ranks if we are portraying ourselves as professionals in any aspect. An occasional grammatical or spelling error happens, but for the most part I agree is someone is criticizing another yet has horrid grammar themselves it kind of makes me not take them seriously.

I’m not a member of the PPA but it sounds like a good organization. I know lots of people who are members. No you don’t need to be a member of it to be successful, but it would only be to your (and the rest of our) advantages to be in such an organization.

Pgbrown you have some very nice images.

pgbrown0517
    Participant

You’re right, it may not be for me. I don’t believe in “dish it out but can’t take it” attitudes.

pgbrown0517
    Participant

Browneyedgirl89, thank you! And thanks for marking one of my photos as a fave.

dont.care
    Participant

I don’t usually jump on the insult the fauxtog bandwagon.. I actually sat here all day yesterday helping someone who in essence was trying to make a jump from beginner directly to pro.. I’m more of a crude person mentally and don’t really care how I’m perceived; I’ve never seen you’re photos either, I couldn’t begin to assume how good or bad you are. I simply disdain grammar Nazi’s and their infinite grammatical greatness.

Yeah, PPA is nice — but you don’t need it.. I believe anyone can be a member for a fee..

isnwm
    Participant

Ok seriously just stop posting on my thread. “Dish it out but can’t take it” ? One grammatical error and now I’m the one being crucified. I’ve posted the least amount of comments on this thread but you’re singling me out of the crowd. Basically I’m harsh, over critical, and can’t speak correctly ? You’re way off topic and focusing on the wrong issues.  Nothing I’ve said has personally attacked the person my original post is referring to. Seriously…. Someone else posted about her having a camel toe in one of her self portraits, and you don’t say one word to that person. Just stick to the issue, and main purpose of this website & this thread, and leave me alone & carry on with your day.

pgbrown0517
    Participant

Most pros I talk to say PPA is worth it for the indemnification policy alone. Even for my business — product shots, walking around people’s cars — insurance is good. (Yes, I pay my taxes, maintain records, do releases, it’s OK.) Plus, it helps for advertising.

ISNWM: I apologize for the appearance of singling you out. I guess I just think, how would I feel if I saw someone trashing me, who didn’t know me, never tried to help me? Just trashing, and saying, “ENJOY!” I don’t take pleasure in the plight of others.

ISNWM and dontcare: Truce? Post a link to your work? I’d love to see it. Browneyedgirl has some nice work on her Flickr page.

dont.care
    Participant

I’ve got insurance.. I’ve got an umbrella policy as well. I certainly didn’t need PPA for insurance.. The PPA to me is the quint essential of the feeling of “belonging” to a group with perks. I don’t need a CPP either..  I know photography, I don’t need a fluffy certificate to get business. I have a business license for that.. I also, pay taxes–Quarterly. I do contracts as well.. Ironically, I didn’t require PPA to be successful.. I consider success (as a photographer) as living off photography alone and living comfortably, don’t you? Fortunately for me, I don’t necessarily rely on the internet for business, don’t rely on it for marketing either.. I got started by doing photos for local business/people that did the advertising for me.. Word of mouth will forever (imo) be the best form of advertisement.. But to each his own. 🙂

Ofcourse, this is a response to:

Oh, in case any of you are real photographers of the caliber of my pro friends and are members of the PPA, here’s a little something you agreed to:

“As a requirement for admission to and retention of membership and participation in this Association, each member and participant shall agree to use the highest levels of professionalism, honesty and integrity in all relationships with colleagues, clients and the general public.
    • Strive to present all photographic services in surroundings and in a manner that reflects the highest levels of professionalism.
    • Use the highest levels of honesty, professionalism and integrity.
    • Not use any marketing or competitive practice which violates any Federal Trade Commission, or other Federal or State regulatory agency rule or regulation, or Federal or State statute or any decision of any Federal or State Court; and
    • In all dealing with fellow professional photographers, students and others who aspire to be professional photographers, I shall share the knowledge and skill of professional photography.
    • Support efforts for and assist in the education of all interested persons and the general public in the art and science of professional photography.”

and

Most pros I talk to say PPA is worth it for the indemnification policy alone. Even for my business — product shots, walking around people’s cars — insurance is good. (Yes, I pay my taxes, maintain records, do releases, it’s OK.) Plus, it helps for advertising.

Which leads me to conclude with a, “lol.”

dont.care
    Participant

Also, a ‘truce’ — ? Those are real?

A link to my portfolio ? I don’t have an ‘online’ portfolio; my portfolio is printed in a book that I physically take to potential clients. I also believe in the confidence of my clients and retain integrity in the respect that I will not post images of them online. A) I don’t have a release for actual clients to be used online (as I do for some of their photos to be used in my portfolio/print per written contract) B) there’s no way in hell I’m going to associate  my business/clients with this website..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.