Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Fauxtog?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    enamel
    Participant

This question has been bugging me for a really long time. Am I any good at taking  photos, or am I mediocre? I would really really appreciate your opinions:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/enamely

P.S: Try not to look only on the first page:)

enamel
    Participant

Also, should I bother to buy a DSLR, or should I just give up?

OctoberMoon
    Participant

Give up? Photography is like anything else–it takes practice. If you’re willing to put in serious hours behind a camera and learn learn learn, then no, don’t give up! That being said, I think you’ve got quite a lot of practicing to do. You have a few really nice shots in there, but a lot of them just look like random snapshots. My first piece of advice–work on composition and light. Don’t shoot in full-on sunlight, or shoot where there will be harsh shadows (such as in the photos of the little girl). Also, learn more about white balance, as a lot of your pictures are very yellow. But if you love photography, don’t give up!

LexiRose
    Participant

I’m a novice too, so I don’t think I should offer any specific technical advice, but I do think your photos have promise. There is some stunning light in a lot of these photos, and anyone can recognize that they have good composition.  I can say for sure, though that there’s a lot more to being a photographer than raw talent. You must study hard on the technical side of it. Reading through forums, watching workshops, and seeking out critiques for my own photos has helped me enormously.

Like I said, you seem to have a very good sense for composition, but that and white-balance is about all you can control with a point-and-shoot. The next step I would take would be to get a DSLR and learn on how to control everything about a photo in manual mode.

fstopper89
    Participant

I like a handful of your nature photos. Most of them have decent composition. If you’re serious about doing photography, yes, invest in a DSLR if you are able to. But you need to take classes or at the very least do lots of self-study about the technical side of photography. Your portraits are not really portraits at this point, more like snapshots. A lot goes into making a portrait. Usually more than nature or landscape shots. You are quite limited with the point-and-shoot. You have potential as long as you are willing to put forth the effort!

enamel
    Participant

Thank you all for replying. Indeed, I have some troubles with white balance, mostly because those pictures are taken with my phone. My portraits are not portraits, this I know, but I kind of liked the shadows.I am actually buying a DSLR in 2 weeks, and I just wanted to know if I have any good photos at the moment.

Also, the pictures look yellowish because I had set the camera to cloudy mode, and I liked the softer, warmer colours.

Thank you all once again!:)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.