Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Fauxtog!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    winephoto
    Participant

Now, I may not take perfect pictures, but neither does this guy!

http://www.ejcphoto.com/#mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=18&p=1&a=0&at=0

Like the one with the guy with the hangers behind him? Are you kidding? And I’m sure the walls and his shirt aren’t that yellow!

cameraclicker
    Participant

The guy with hangers behind him is lit with tungsten lights and shot with a daylight setting.  Yes, it makes the photo a bit yellow.  You could reset the white balance using the counter or his shirt as a reference.  I like it better with the yellow cast.  Focus is off on a couple of photos but they are mostly interesting photos.

IHF
    Participant

You’re kidding, right?

Please tell me you’re the person behind these shots, and was in need of some sort of confidence boost… Well actually don’t.  Because if that is the case, you really should have posted some where else, more reputable.  If you aren’t the owner of this portfolio, I would LOVE to see your work, because I feel this tog is above my skill level and I could certainly learn from, and be inspired by someone’s work who thinks this tog is a fauxtog.

I really enjoyed his portfolio.  He has talent, and a unique perspective and style.  I like how different projects/subjects all create a different feel and mood.  I covet his versatility.  Two thumbs up from me.

winephoto
    Participant

All of his photos are either completely over or under edited. The white balance is the one thing I’m super picky about. And that’s the thing he seems to have set wrong. I agree that some of his photos are cool! But I dislike a lot of them. Though, I didn’t scroll through all of the ones on his website, because I saw his Facebook instead.

winephoto
    Participant

And I was looking at his people portfolio.

IHF
    Participant

Winephoto,

I think you are confusing not liking a photo with bad photography.  Sure he has some images that aren’t as strong as others in his portfolio, but that is true with any photographer. (By the way, the one you pointed out, isn’t one of the weaker ones)  he obviously knows how to work his camera and create what he is looking to make.  If I had to guess, I’d say he is very experienced, and most likely started years ago with film.   I bet if you dug a little, you’d find I’m right with my assumptions.  If not, I’ll gladly eat my words. (I’m going to have to have a longer look tomorrow because I’m very curious to find out)  You calling him a fauxtog just shows me how very green and new you are To this medium.  No, he’s not the be all and end all, (i bet he’d say the same) and he’s still riding the waves just like the rest of us, but I believe he IS a pro that you could actually learn a lot from.  I wouldn’t mind picking his brain a little even if I find out he’s a kid that just started shooting a month ago. 🙂

Intuition
    Participant

I actually really enjoyed his work as well. He’s much more a lifestyle photographer then a portrait photography, but I really enjoy his stuff.

winephoto
    Participant

I think you are right about the not liking a photo vs. bad photography. I was actually about to suggest it. I think I just don’t agree with his style. And I actually know how long he has been doing photography. I know he also graduated from an art school, but I still don’t agree with his style. I’ve seen very artistic photography throughout my short life, and I know what it is I find creative and GOOD photography. I don’t think this is good. But to each their own.

winephoto
    Participant

And I am very new. I will admit that. I have only been photographing for about 5 years so I still have much to learn. But those photographs are not pleasing to my eye.

Mark
    Participant

Hello,  winephoto, I agree with IHF,  this seems to be a joke. Actually  I am very  impressed by the portfolio of this guy  you call fauxtog. His shots have been used in magazines and  the man with two asiatic girls is in the cover of a book. I understand you don’t  like his style, but it shouldn’t be so easy to call someone a fauxtog… I’ll remember this photographer the day I see my name in this kind or forums,  lol.

IHF
    Participant

Yep, commercial artist who’s not even in the same league as what we normally discuss here at YANAP.  I hope he doesn’t keep track of all his hits and find out he was mentioned here. lol. I bet he does though.  That’s embarrassing!

but, yeah… It’s almost as though the OP was thinking “I’m going to see what these buttheads, who love to bash everyone’s photography say when they are presented with a ‘REAL’ photographer!”.   lol  oops if so, it backfired

nairbynairb
    Participant

The only ones that I find are actually bad is the one with the kids in their wetsuits, and the couple kissing with the lady in fetal position. Other than that, he has some awesome shots!

Loke
    Participant

photography is completely subjective……..I don’t really see anything wrong here.  Stylistic preferences aside, seems to have a good technical grasp.

haydae
    Participant

Agree with the majority… I thought this was a joke. This guy isn’t bad at all!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.