Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum Faux in the making!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cass335
    Participant

So I just got home from shooting a wedding. Outdoor wedding, with beautiful fall colors! Anyways, I totally had to deal with a TERRIBLE, in the way, thinks he is a photographer “faux”!  It was a serious pain in the ass. He had his little sony cybershot and was practically attached to my shoulder for the WHOLE wedding!  Yes…even during the ceremony when I was standing in the center of the aisle to get photos of the couples walking down it. After we got done with the family member group photos, I asked the couple to have everyone except the wedding party head inside to the reception.  At the reception he was back in my way. What I loved even more…he acted like I was in HIS way a couple of times. Grrr!  It was so bad that, at one point, I stood on a chair to get a better angle for a group shot, and as soon as I got down he jumped up there.

ebi
    Participant

You gotta kindly ask those people to leave if they are bothering you. Better to bruise an ego than have to deal with a pain in the ass the whole night!

cass335
    Participant

Yea I know you’re right. But it was a close friend of the groom, and i just prefered to not make waves. So i kust worked around him. I guess I am just too nice of a person some times. That’s one area I have to work on.

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

When that happens to me I just stand back for a few minutes and in a loud but polite voice say

” I seem to be getting in this guys way, I’ll just hang back while he gets his shots”

With no shots to copy they soon stop, and if they don’t, the B&G soon realize that they are paying me for shots and ask him give it a rest. If he starts copying again you can either repeat the action ( and this time the B&G will get pissed at him) or just politely say “I gave you a chance to get shots, now let me have mine”

To the B&G you’ll come across as nice!

nesgran
    Participant
    cass335
    Participant

WCS: I will have to keep that in mind. Fortunately, I haven’t had to deal with that much.  Though I have no doubt it’ll happen again. We just did a bridal show, and one bride I talked to said her mother-in-law was their photographer. Well…she happened to be there with the bride. I asked her how she liked shooting weddings. She said she had only done 5 or 6, but was getting better at it.  She told me she had just bought her first professional camera.  I asked her what it was, and her response: “Of course you would ask me that. Honestly I can’t remember, but I know I spent like $2,500 on it. And it came with 2 lenses!” I did my best to not roll my eyes at that response. I asked if she knew if it was Nikon or Canon and she said “Oh it’s Nikon, that I do know.”

All I could think was “oh boy…another one”. I can’t tell you how often I hear “my family friend/uncle/cousin/whatever is a photographer, from people at bridal shows. My response is always the same. I smile politely and say: “Well congratulations on your engagement and I wish you the best of luck with your wedding.”  Which translates to: boy I sure hope you don’t get sh***y pics!

nesgran: LOL!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.