Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography Encouragement/Constructive criticism?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    kschonsheck
    Participant

Hey all!

After discovering the umpteenth high school classmate taking crappy maternity photos, I came to YANAP for some reassurance – that MY images (almost) definitely won’t end up on here.

That said, I am not a seasoned professional. I assisted at my first wedding in ’08 and shot my first solo wedding in ’09 but the client stream has been little more than a trickle. I don’t have the cash flow for TONS of equipment – I shoot with a Nikon D90, an SB-700 speedlight, and a variety of mid-class lenses.  I know I need a backup camera, better lenses, and a decent lighting rig. I’d love to ramp up the efforts to expand this into a full business but I guess with all the faux’s out there, I wonder if it’s even worth the investment.  When I see people that I know, who KNOW I’m a photographer, hiring other people, it gets very discouraging. I’ve had several inquiries for smaller shoots, and when I quote them at $150/hr, I never hear from them again. I’m tired of underselling myself but if no one wants to pay me what I deserve, how am I supposed to get anything accomplished?

So I guess what I’m looking for is words of encouragement and also constructive criticism from someone who’s been in the business awhile. I’d love to have my images critiqued by someone who knows what makes a great photograph. Please check out my website – http://www.kathleenschonsheck.com/ – and/or facebook –https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kathleen-Schonsheck-Photography-Fine-Art/252209941525778 (sorry, the editor isn’t letting me do that neatly!) Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!! 🙂

dicksforeyes
    Participant

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/282854_333093923437379_793809829_n.jpg

You are a fauxtographer. You don’t deserve any money at all. The problem isn’t your equipment, it’s you. Hope this helps.

jetpix
    Participant

Don’t pay any attention to our resident troll.  He claims everyone except himself is a fauxtog, and is nothing more than an obnoxious know-it-all.  Wait for some real feedback.

jetpix
    Participant

To JJ:

“You are a fauxtographer. You don’t deserve any money at all. The problem isn’t your equipment, it’s you. Hope this helps.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73875730@N08/7041086237/in/photostream

Yep.

dicksforeyes
    Participant

I’m pretty sure the only other person I called a fauxtographer is you, actually.

Oh wait

jetpix
    Participant

No, you’ve pretty much hung that label on everyone.    That’s why no one pays much attention to you.

kschonsheck
    Participant

Well, between the options of being labeled a fauxtog or an asshole, I’ll take fauxtog. Peace out.

no one special
    Participant

Congratulations kschonsheck! You actually fall into both categories.

Brownie
    Participant

I agree with jaredjason and no one special.

I saw this last night but didn’t have the heart to say anything,

The fact that you have such an obsession with equipment shows you don’t understand the craft.

Brownie
    Participant

which doesn’t mean you can’t or haven’t produced a nice photograph, there’s just no understanding of why it works.

camera.shy
    Participant

I have to agree with Brownie on this one. 

sorry………………….

kschonsheck
    Participant

Brownie, in all honesty, I’m not sure why you assume from reading a single post that I don’t understand photography (especially when you did acknowledge that I have made good images). The vast majority of the time I shoot in manual mode. Rare occasions will switch to aperture or shutter priority when lighting conditions are changing rapidly.  But if you think you could give me some helpful advice I’ll gladly take it.

no one special
    Participant

Why you have no customers is simple: your attitude and your photography.

This one post is all you need. Without even looking at your pictures I knew they would be bad. Even your friends don’t like your pictures. You didn’t say they went someplace cheaper. They just went someplace else. You are not here to get encouragement, you thought you would get validation of your skill so you could tell yourself that your lack of customers is based on them not knowing how good you are.

“I’d love to have my images critiqued by someone who knows what makes a great photograph.” Sounds like a kid in grade school telling his teacher he wants a college professor to grade his science project, because they would understand it more.

Buy a tripod, maybe you can get a level picture then.

Brownie
    Participant

Anyone can make a good image once in a while,

The good image compliment was because I really liked three of your images from your scenic album on your website, the first two and the 3rd to last one.

The first one reminds me of Pamela Pecchio’s work, she worked with interior spaces beautifully, and checking out her work would really be good for you

I like the last one described because it reminds me of one of my favorite contemporary photographers, Phillip Lorca DiCorcia. And the tonality is pretty nice on the monochrome one, and the colors are nice but it just doesn’t breathe. An enduring photograph is alive, my friend. Cartier-Bresson’s A Decisive Moment is alive. Helen Levitt’s work is alive. Your work seems uninspired and just a photograph.

Henri Cartier-Bresson shot beautiful portraits of people with a single bit of equipment; his camera with a 50mm lens. Anyone who thinks equipment makes the photographer is quite ill informed, hence why I don’t think you really understand photography

kschonsheck
    Participant

Thank you, Brownie.

I really admire Cartier-Bresson, but I hadn’t heard of the others you mentioned. I’ll definitely look them up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.