Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Do I fall under the fauxtog category?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    AlexandraG
    Participant

Alright, so I’ve been shooting with an SLR camera since May of this year. Taking and editing photos is definitely my favourite hobby ever. Also, I have never charged anyone for anything photo-related, even though people have offered to pay. I just wanted some opinions on what I have taken so far, so I can know what to do to improve, and whether or not I’m on the right track. My friends always only tell me good things about my pictures, and I feel like I can’t fully trust them for critical feedback.

Some of my best shots:
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/115454333200944103762/albums/5828229031832555201

Some of my event shots:
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3090907046398.109280.1675673854&type=3
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3513990143211.119090.1675673854&type=3

theflyingkitty
    Participant

Fauxtog’s, as I understand, are generally ones who fall under the category of  “I just had a baby and got a camera, so I’m going to be a professional photographer now! I can spend all my time taking pictures of other people’s babies and families and charge them bunches!”

A photographer is one who enjoys taking photos. It can be somewhat of a passion. You really enjoy what you do and might actually be good at it.  It’s a big group. I certainly fall in it. You strive to be better, to learn, and to capture the moments of the world around you and make pretty things.

A professional photographer is one who has decided to make a career of it. No matter how good or bad you might be, this is your majority/sole income.  You can create all sorts of horrid looking pieces and have the tact, manners, and grace, of a sick toad and still somewhat be a ‘professional photographer.’

The technicality is such of that with painters, or acting.

I really like the variety and different techniques you used in what you linked. It shows creativity as well as a good eye for color, contrast, and composition. You know that it’s not all about babies or teenagers or family portraits. It’s about creating something brilliant.

On a side note. I have been told that if ever you should go to market your talents, you should narrow down your specialty.  This is (as I am told but don’t quite believe) why so many people mainly do babies, or pets, etc. If you ever choose that path, don’t stop with the rest. Through variety and experimenting we learn and grow in all areas.

Keep it up!

cameraclicker
    Participant

I agree with flyingkitty.  Most of your photos look pretty good.  Your pianist changed from T shirt to suit is an impressive editing performance.

Here is some picky stuff to pay attention to:

In the canoe photo, your horizon is not level.  Rather than level the horizon, I might crop below the horizon line.  I would do that because the sky is a strange colour anyway and except for showing a blurred sailboat, it is not adding anything.

Your Sea-do photo might be better if there was a bit more room in front of the boat.

Your goong foo girl (409710_3090928006922_1128700548_n.jpg) needs rotation of 4.11 degrees counter clockwise, your horizon is off.  Rotated and cropped a little it looks better.

In 399537_3090931847018_1394831948_n.jpg, your subjects are exposed reasonably well but your background is over exposed.   Burning it out completely or exposing it properly and lighting your subjects with a flash would look better.  I appreciate you might not want to carry the extra weight of an external flash and the pop-up flash is not as powerful or controllable.

In 523378_3090942847293_1720935929_n.jpg, the house is leaning to the left.

In 481934_3090957247653_1600052682_n.jpg, the house is reclining!  And, the left wall is leaning right while the right wall is leaning left.  What editor are you using?  Some editors have a lens correction function that will let you correct this sort of distortion.

I didn’t get through the Halloween dance photos but what I saw suggested the party was a blast!  The photos are experimental.  There are some cool effects.  When doing an event, a mix of experimental shutter dragging with flash and straight up photos that make the people look nice will please most people.

In summary, good photos with a few minor glitches.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.