Home Forums Photography Showcase Critique

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    none
    Participant

IHF, you are all of a sudden a wealth of knowledge and I am very please to hear your advice.

This all does make me wonder though… How long have you gone without printing or making finished products for your clients?

I send all of the pictures on disc, I don’t do prints.. I simply cannot afford the printing equipment to be honest with you. I also thought it would be less overhead too and would allow me to charge less than other photographers.

The areas I circled are obviously brighter on my Windows systems.  I can’t imagine it is a profile problem, or even a hardware problem.  The background plants have a lot of white in them, it is obviously brighter than the rest of the background!  I don’t think the profile would affect the image to the point where white would turn green, or even where brightly lit skin would appear the same as shaded skin.

I have a tendency to flip flop from LR5 and PS, unless I need to get invasive I normally stick with LR as it doesn’t seem to take as long as it would in PS.

IHF
    Participant

“I send all of the pictures on disc, I don’t do prints.. I simply cannot afford the printing equipment to be honest with you. I also thought it would be less overhead too and would allow me to charge less than other photographers.”

eh, then why bother worrying about color?  Just let sleeping dogs lie.  They are most likely just using them as profile pictures for Facebook anyway

none
    Participant

Well, the color matters because when the client takes the disc in I want to make sure they’re compatible right? I’ve had an issue with clients trying to take these discs to a Kodak instant print machine. The machines want to auto correct the picture.. in turn messing it up completely. I’ve had to refer my clients to Staples for printing only, so this has put a serious damper on my pictures being flexible color wise.

I know that it appears that most would use them as Facebook profile pictures, but I’ve never had any client suggest that’s the case. Either way though, I really would like my pictures to be completely universal. Going to look into the printing issue soon and hopefully get a great solution to that problem. . once Uncle Sam gets his chunk of change  this quarter.

IHF
    Participant

Exactly d4, 🙂

I know I didn’t make it clear, but my last post was written kind of sarcastically (well not kind of, it was full on).  Unfortunately there is no way to make your pictures “universal”.  The finishing process is exactly what it is, a process.  A process I wouldn’t ever want to leave my “clients” to try to take on themselves.  Drug stores, chains, and consumer level labs just aren’t going to print quality pictures like a pro lab or an artist will.  Period.  and even pro labs aren’t built equally and neither are all the product lines.  That’s why it’s so important that we (the photographer) provide that service for them.

none
    Participant

I need to stay under 1000.00’s if I do the printing myself, is it possible to find one in that price range?

none
    Participant

1000.00 *

nesgran
    Participant

Why would you even print yourself in the first place? While it can be nice to have a good printer for quick printing of proofs etc even something like a canon pixma pro 10 or epson equivalent would be more than good enough.

If you want the real deal, particularly for weddings you would never ever (ever) rely on the customers to get their own prints. It quite frankly boggles my mind you are doing that.

Now you have some serious homework to be done. Find three pro labs, send them ten photos, in tiff format if they accept them and get them printed in matte and glossy. Make sure you colour manage to their printers though and also make sure there are no adjustments done by the lab, if there is no option for that move on. If you want, let them optimise a couple of additional photos by hand to see if they do a better job of it than you do.

cameraclicker
    Participant

Lightroom includes Adobe Camera Raw which can provide R, G, and B numbers for individual pixels.

I send put printing for books and large runs.  If I’m only printing a dozen photos, I print them myself.  If you have a lab do prints, send them what they need. They should be able to provide a profile and instructions. Quality from labs varies widely, test them.

Under $1000, Epson R3000, Epson R2880, or Epson R2000, would probably suite.  Then you need to get suitable paper, which Epson also makes.

IHF
    Participant

Honestly d4, we are back to putting that cart before the horse.
    Next step, get calibrated and learn good color managing. Part of that process is finishing. Take nesgans advice and shop for a lab. Yes, it’s good to be able to print yourself, but economically, it makes more sense to use a lab when in this genre. Two of my favorites are WHCC and prodpi. Millers is good too. I personally don’t care for millers and also ran into some customer service issues with them, but a lot of photographers use them religiously. There! 3 labs to try. Each lab has their own profiles and directions for optimizing your files for print and for their different papers/products so read carefully, and follow their directions. Other than getting through this process, keep all your money in your pocket as far as your photography is concerned. Like CC said it’s not really cost effective to only print yourself in this genre of photography, and I think it would serve your clients better to start with a reliable lab.
    Meanwhile, you need to back up and work on your photography with the goal of getting consistently/reliably good SOOC shots to work with.
    Get your manual out and learn about setting and customizing white balance. Learn and master selecting your focus. It looks to me like you are letting the cameras AF select where to focus, instead of selecting your focal point/points. This takes some practice. Don’t use clients. Get that focus nailed before any clients get in the mix (along with exposure, and color and a good grasp of how DOF works). Learn how to read histograms. Then study lighting. Work with still life first and work your way up to moving subjects. Learn how to push that iso up to acceptable levels in low light, and how to compensate without losing quaility. Once you get a good handle on these basics, then move on to posing. And never stop learning lighting and posing. Don’t take your book’s advice and go ahead and get on the Internet and study posing, and put what you learn into practice. When it’s time to market and sell again, Please do so honestly.

I stand by what I said earlier. You’ve jumped in too fast, now it’s time to back up, slow down and learn how to photograph. You really shouldn’t sell or solicit your photography services until you have mastered at least the basics. And you defiantly have no place teaching others. I’m sorry but, you are pretty much textbook for what NOT to do, and why this site was created in the first place. Time to get on the ball and change that. Honestly d4, we are back to putting that cart before the horse.
    Next step, get calibrated and learn good color managing. Part of that process is finishing. Take nesgans advice and shop for a lab. Yes, it’s good to be able to print yourself, but economically, it makes more sense to use a lab when in this genre. Two of my favorites are WHCC and prodpi. Millers is good too. I personally don’t care for millers and also ran into some customer service issues with them, but a lot of photographers use them religiously. There! 3 labs to try. Each lab has their own profiles and directions for optimizing your files for print and for their different papers/products so read carefully, and follow their directions. Other than getting through this process, keep all your money in your pocket as far as your photography is concerned. Like CC said it’s not really cost effective to only print yourself in this genre of photography, and I think it would serve your clients better to start with a reliable lab.
    Meanwhile, you need to back up and work on your photography with the goal of getting consistently/reliably good SOOC shots to work with.
    Get your manual out and learn about setting and customizing white balance. Learn and master selecting your focus. It looks to me like you are letting the cameras AF select where to focus, instead of selecting your focal point/points. This takes some practice. Don’t use clients. Get that focus nailed before any clients get in the mix (along with exposure, and color and a good grasp of how DOF works). Learn how to read histograms. Then study lighting. Work with still life first and work your way up to moving subjects. Learn how to push that iso up to acceptable levels in low light, and how to compensate without losing quaility. Once you get a good handle on these basics, then move on to posing. And never stop learning lighting and posing. Don’t take your book’s advice and go ahead and get on the Internet and study posing, and put what you learn into practice. When it’s time to market and sell again, Please do so honestly.

I stand by what I said earlier. You’ve jumped in too fast, now it’s time to back up, slow down and learn how to photograph. You really shouldn’t sell or solicit your photography services until you have mastered at least the basics. And you defiantly have no place teaching others. I’m sorry but, you are pretty much textbook for what NOT to do, and why this site was created in the first place. Time to get on the ball and change that. Thank you so much for coming here, it’s been interesting to say the least, and I also thank you for sticking around and asking questions. Good on you, not many do that after receiving a bad/negative review. Good luck to you

IHF
    Participant

Lol are you kidding me?

that post is all kinds of messed up oops! And it won’t let me edit.  Lol let me know if you need me to decipher

none
    Participant

I’ll be spending the day doing exactly this. I knew where you were going with it. I understand thank you.

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.