Home Forums Photography Showcase Critique

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    none
    Participant

IHF, any reason why you’re doing a scan on me? What are you trying to prove by doing so?

cameraclicker
    Participant

I don’t see any bright spots at all, weird.

Really?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54048679@N07/12952700024/

cameraclicker
    Participant

Also, my iMac has different calibration tools inside the display settings, however I’ve read that it’s smart to not use them, but to buy specific calibration software instead.

Actually, those are colour space options. A calibration tool runs software that puts blocks of colour on your monitor, then using a USB device, it reads the values generated by your monitor and makes a file that alters the way your monitor is driven so that what you see is what you are supposed to see. Does that make any sense?

Check out:

Display Calibration

http://www.xrite.com/colormunki-display

They are a couple of the top ones at reasonable prices.

IHF
    Participant

Not “scanning” you, I just simply got taken to your Facebook page after a quick google of your watermark.  Why?

I don’t know exactly.  Curiosity?  I guess it was just that I wanted to know if you were in business or not.  It kind of helps guide the way I see things when critquing.  Something doesn’t quite sit well with me here… maybe some dishonesty going on?  Just a little misrepresentation happening?  But with that, I will leave this thread alone, and leave any further criticism/help for others to provide.

none
    Participant

CC thank you. IHF, you have troll-like tendencies and it’s difficult to decipher on what you mean. My apologies for reacting the way I did. There’s no misrepresentation going on or dishonesty, I just wanted to know what people thought of a few pictures, now here I am. lol

cameraclicker
    Participant

Don’t thank me yet!

IHF, any reason why you’re doing a scan on me? What are you trying to prove by doing so?

IHF is more thorough than I am! That might help her avoid offending someone. I don’t have an axe to grind, but I do tend to say what I think, which sometimes ruffles feathers.

emf, she’s already got it, and is willing to share her knowledge
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/1491072202/ref=rdr_ext_tmb#reader_1491072202

Two things:
    Congratulations on being a published author.
    This photo would keep me from purchasing the book!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/54048679@N07/12952899303/
    Feet as ears, or antennas, does not inspire confidence that the rest of the content would help me!

none
    Participant

That’s a picture of me and I’ll pass that along to the photographer who did the shoot.

none
    Participant

CC, thank you

none
    Participant

CC in that picture it’s not showing bright spots, no joke.. lol

nesgran
    Participant

I wonder if the gamma on your monitor is so far out of whack that you can’t see the images properly.

none
    Participant

I’m not sure, but my color profile is set to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and color space of RGB. Will check into gamma, good suggestion for sure thank you

none
    Participant

Right now my gamma is set to 2.2, not sure if I need to use the native gamma or not, looks awful

none
    Participant

IHF
    Participant

I know I said I’d stay out of it, but I’m a mac user, and I’m hoping I can help.
    New imac displays are shipped optimized for web viewing using RGBs color profile, just like the iPhone and iPad.
    So I doubt her gamma or color is off by much if at all for web viewing. Even after calibrating I hardly noticed a difference at all. Ok seriously, my eyes noticed no difference. (Changes were made, but… Maybe I’m whack, or maybe Apple kinda got things right?). I think this may be more about her eye than her monitor.

The color space in which you work depends on what your photo lab specs are and/or your printer, and how it’s calibrated, and also what color profile they calibrate their printers to, and if you wish to preview how your image will print on certain papers/products and their profiles (the preview/proofing is close, but not exact as there’s no way to make a screen behave like paper). I usually work in a color space optimized for web viewing, and make a duplicate image worked in a space optimized for a standard print from my lab on my preferred paper. When using different papers and products, I use the color profile provided for each for my print proofing. I also sometimes dim the brightness when needed to proof prints. Mac displays are notoriously bright.
    This link will help get you started
    http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-calibrate-your-macs-display–mac-47072

This all does make me wonder though… How long have you gone without printing or making finished products for your clients? To me, making photographs was my logical first step as soon as I decided to start taking my hobby more seriously. Color managing (which goes beyond just being calibrated), I learned the hard way by thinking I could just send a file anywhere anyhow and get back what I expected. OY! What a nightmare. Months of torture and craptastic prints lol
    Color managing can be a bit of a complicated nightmare at first, but once you get a good routine going it becomes second nature, with maybe just a few hiccups here and there.

cameraclicker
    Participant

The photo I picked up was Mode RGB and Profile C2.  The file I posted was Mode RGB and Profile sRGB.  If the software can recognize and display the registered profile, any profile should display properly.  Some Internet browsers can make use of the profile and others can not.  Those that can not will display the image based on the sRGB profile.  The Apple software should manage the profile information properly, though.

The areas I circled are obviously brighter on my Windows systems.  I can’t imagine it is a profile problem, or even a hardware problem.  The background plants have a lot of white in them, it is obviously brighter than the rest of the background!  I don’t think the profile would affect the image to the point where white would turn green, or even where brightly lit skin would appear the same as shaded skin.  Of course if you are using a tool like ACR or Photoshop, you can pass the cursor over an area in the image and review the R, G and B values which have much higher numbers in the brighter areas.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.