Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Critique"

Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    cameraclicker
    Participant

Ah, I see.  Similar response though, you can clean up so there is nothing in the reflection or move the glasses a little so the reflection is what you want, or nothing at all, if that is your desire.  Managing reflection in glasses is easier with glasses having less curvature.

iliketag
    Participant

People just starting out don’t always have a “better presentation” dude. The things you expect of them are incredibly impractical. You can definitely ask that he put up his favorite image for critique, but I feel like you would find everything wrong and not touch on anything positive.

If he feels it’s his best work, that’s not always what should be offered up for critique first anyway. Things he knows have something iffy and he can’t put his finger on should be what he offers up.
    You are honestly running people out of this community and it’s really frustrating.

nesgran
    Participant

the guy with the sunglasses – This is why professionals shoot in all-black studios. This lighting setup obviously doesn’t work with people with large glasses

Reflections can work but this one just looks lopsided and too big. Without any reflections in the glasses though they will just look like black holes which isn’t necessarily a great look. Given how close the umbrella must be, I’m guessing it is pretty small studio.

18% grey or white is nicer I think in a studio

sky.pesce
    Participant

I guess I worded my critique poorly; what I meant to say was that in my opinion, the image would have benefited from a less prominent catchlight, as well as from less spill into the studio or a less reflective studio (I would rather not see the floor, the table, and the lightstand in his glasses)

Brownie
    Participant

Sam,

One of the first things I noticed with your portfolio section is that it is concise. Many people who post for critiques have just about every image they have ever taken in it. By editing your work down it makes it much easier to offer up a more accurate critique of the work.

Everything has been said about the “DJ” one, so I don’t need to say anymore. I feel like the next three serve their purpose as headshots. Like others have said, skin is red, dust on suit etc. minor details that kill the meaning you want the portrait to convey. I don’t feel like the picture of the girl in the 2nd row works very well because the frame hasn’t been used as carefully as it could be. if it’s about her then why is 70% of the frame essentially empty space? The next one seems pretty decent but the contrast blows out the eye but works pretty nicely on the hand. the final one has a lot of contrast and most of the extremes are blown out. It looks like some skin blurring/softening has gone on with this one, I could be wrong but the sharpness between the forehead and eyes is extreme.

Looking at your events, I would like to see you utilize changes in perspective a bit more. Doesn’t have to be an extreme shift but I think the handstand guy’s picture could have benefited greatly from a change in that. I have to say though, the pictures of the three girls happens to be one of my favorites because it utilizes an effective use of complementary color with lighting that doesn’t mix too much and get muddied up as they say. The only drawback is the white blur in the foreground.

Overall, looks pretty decent and at 16 you have plenty of time to shoot, learn and progress. As Henri Cartier-Bresson said: “Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst” and if you aren’t familiar with his work, get familiar with it. Now. 😛

ebi
    Participant

@iliketag – everything you say is so pathetically wrong.  Are you an idiot?

People just starting out don’t always have a “better presentation” dude.

So i should just forgive it and ignore it? He’s sixteen and never taken an art class in his life. Someone needs to tell him. I think the blow will be much softer than what he’d ever get IRL.

The things you expect of them are incredibly impractical.

and if he decides to be a professional photographer someday he will be asked to do impractical and nearly impossible things all the time. Might as well learn now.

You can definitely ask that he put up his favorite image for critique, but I feel like you would find everything wrong and not touch on anything positive.

Oh sorry, didn’t realize that he was just looking for praise. People learn so much from praise only.

If he feels it’s his best work, that’s not always what should be offered up for critique first anyway. Things he knows have something iffy and he can’t put his finger on should be what he offers up.

Obviously he feels that what he has up is good. Why would anyone put up work that is bad? It’s very hard to think objectively. The work that you think is best is not always best. I run into that problem all the time. My favorite images aren’t always my clients’ favorites.

You are honestly running people out of this community and it’s really frustrating.

And those that are scared and run away weren’t made for this business to begin with. Best to weed out those people quickly and move on.

iliketag
    Participant

This community isn’t only about people who want to go into the business. Some people here are beginners and hobbyists just looking to improve with zero interest in making it a career. The idea for those people, who are honestly interested in growing, is not to bully them. It’s why we point out both the good and the bad. Things we like and things that need work. You just seem to be finding problems everywhere and even when you “like” something, you don’t really say anything positive. You just gloss over it and move onto the next problem.

ebi
    Participant

no need to dwell on the things you like. what works does, what doesn’t needs to be improved upon and that is where the focus needs to be.

ebi
    Participant

I cannot look at this from a hobbyist perspective. I am not a hobbyist. I cannot speak at that level. If you are a hobbyist, you arent’ taking it seriously enough. You have to understand that this is my career and I take it pretty seriously. I like helping others but have great disdain for those that waste my time, regardless if they intend to or not.

I realize that my frustration comes across as dissonance. That may be just me venting. If you can silence that and read between the lines, you’ll fair far better.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.