Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum craigslist

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    dont.care
    Participant

Professional Photography
    A ‘professional photographer’ as the title implies, offers a product of quality from start to finish.. Generally, if something seems to good to be true, it usually is.. $25-$50 photo sessions are usually low quality, and not something you’d generally be proud to display on your wall.. It goes without saying;
    —If your photographer(s)—:
    1)  Fastest lens is a: f/5.6-f/6.3 (typical kit lens), or god forbid a Point and Shoot.
    2)  Doesn’t know lighting ratios.
    3)  Doesn’t know how to stop up/down a lens.
    4)  Doesn’t know how to use RC-Sync, or know what ‘flash sync’ is at all.
    5)  Doesn’t have a bare minimum of 2 hot shoe flash guns that can be used off camera.
    6)  Doesn’t know how to expose for ambient light; adjust ambient light to bring up/down highlights/background over/underexposure and use fill flash.
    7) Offers a cheap CD off a spool with sharpie written all over it.
    8)  Doesn’t know how to color correct/post produce a photo and sharpen/crop for print.
    9) Offers print products from a chain photo printer, i.e. Walmart, CVS, WalGreens, etc.
    10) has a camera that is stuck on auto.
    The list could really go on forever..

While I am indeed, offering a service–There are plenty of great pro-photographers out there and by no way am I suggesting that you don’t use them. I’m just tired of seeing too many good people get duped into bad photography/photographers.

And, if you’re interested in using us or would like more details please feel free to shoot me an email.. :)—-My contribution to the world of anti-fauxtography.

dont.care
    Participant

Yeah. I’m probably going to catch an influx of hate mail from the fauxtog community

cameraclicker
    Participant

Had to think about that RC-Sync for a minute!  There is also High Speed Sync and the IR/preflash mode you get with a Nikon in Commander Mode, it probably has an official name but it escapes me at the moment.

dont.care
    Participant

😀

Creative Lighting System maybe?

dont.care
    Participant

I honestly don’t know much about nikon, but the only thing I can think of is cls :\

dont.care
    Participant
    fstopper89
    Participant

Lol1 Hate mail! If you do you will be able to spot the fauxs easily. I had a similar yet more public experience. Someone posted on a Facebook buy/sell group that they were looking for a photographer. Lots of suggestions showed up in the comments, so I clicked on every one. 80% were serious fauxtographers. So I posted something like “Please everyone shopping around, you should understand what true professional work is, choose someone who has experience and education in the field and has quality equipment. ” I was instantly jumped on by a handful of the other posters saying things like “I actually have never taken a photography class, but I still take amazing pictures!” and “having really expensive equipment is how some people just like to show off and make themselves look better.” etc. And guess what? All those responses came from some of the worst fauxtogs in my town, and the good photogs agreed with me.

cameraclicker
    Participant

I think you are correct, Creative Lighting System is Nikon’s name for it.  That was a good blog article.  I think I saw the car with leaning wheels in one of the Time Life books.  In the blog comments is a link to a movie, http://regex.info/blog/2008-09-04/925, you advance by moving your mouse.  Pretty cool!

It’s interesting they went back to vertical shutters.  All the SLR’s in the 1970’s had horizontal shutter motion which eliminated the leaning wheels problem but probably created other distortions.  Shutters move a lot faster now and that mitigates the problem as well as giving the shutter less distance to travel which helps the recycle time and is important to support the super high frame rates of many current cameras.

cameraclicker
    Participant

@browneyedgirl89, are my pictures “amazing”?  Don’t know, don’t care, I like them.  I too can say “I actually have never taken a photography class”, except for a two day wedding workshop last summer.  Oh, and 3 hours in a basic Photoshop Elements class to accompany my wife who wanted to take the class.

When I was in high school, I was interested and a friend was interested too.  We read books and magazines, and discussed… And once working, we upgraded to SLR’s, got lenses and experimented.  We built traditional B&W and colour darkrooms and did enough processing to understand it.  I have a whole bookshelf full of photography books, and a few general art books, still, but most of those were given to my son who does animation for a living.  Some people learn from and enjoy classes, others prefer a more in-depth approach.  I’m not really down on you, I just want to make the point that not all educations come from classes.

fstopper89
    Participant

Oh no, I’m definitely not saying all educations have to come from a class. It was just what I posted and that girl who responded CLEARLY had no knowledge of art or photography. She was one of those who must have gotten a Rebel or something and had a kit lens and kept it on auto. I had only commented what I did because I had been biting my tongue for months after months on similar posts. It was funny because I didn’t target a specific person but the fauxs all got mad. They knew themselves that they were guilty of having no idea what they were doing!

This is a photo from a woman who got mad that I “insinuated” some of the photographers advertising there were using point-and-shoot cameras. Lol her work speaks for itself I guess… https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=573978095946577&set=pb.458094044201650.-2207520000.1364313888&type=3&theater

fstopper89
    Participant

Oh and from looking at her page:

“I have been taking “professional” pictures since June after receiving a camera and equipment two Christmas’s ago and after taking some classes at MPTC to learn how to use the manual modes to get the best picture possible.
    However, since I am just starting out, I am suggesting to customers to give me whatever amount they are comfortable with after receiving their cd of images. I have received anywhere from $35-$125 for 30-45 minute sessions which inclue a cd with cropped and edited images and a copyright release to do witht the pictures as you please! I do it just because I love it and it’s great therapy! :)”

I could be wrong, but I’m guessing the classes she took at the tech college were the enrichment summer courses that I just got a brochure about. They have a couple of 4-6 week, one night a week, courses in photography offered for this summer. They apparently didn’t teach proper exposure and composition or she just missed that….

dont.care
    Participant

Well, I’ve never taken classes/workshops er what-not.. I’ve always been one to throw myself under a bus. I’m personally my own worst critic. But, it helps prevent that ‘goggle’ effect 🙂 I’m a big advocate of learning the hard way and I’m certain you and I (beg) have argued this before.. When you jump in the deep end without someone to save you or something to keep you afloat; you’ll ever sink or swim..You learn fast when your constantly pushing the pieces of the puzzle around toying with problems and possible solutions on your own without someone there to guide you.

just sayin

Thomas
    Participant

Hello everyone. I’ve been visiting this site regularly for a few months and I must say I find most things on here very amusing. Some things are just plain stuck up, and some are arguable.

With regards to the OP I’m going to say the following.

1)  Fastest lens is a: f/5.6-f/6.3 (typical kit lens), or god forbid a Point and Shoot. – My fastest lens is a 50mm 1.8 but I use my kit lens (18-55mm f3.5-5.6) on a regular basis. I will add that I do hate using the kit lens but I simply cannot afford to purchase the lenses I would like at the moment. I live in Wales UK (So I’m WELSH, not English). I toyed with the idea of buying the Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L but I use a crop sensor DSLR (EOS 400D) so I debunked that until I could afford a 5D MkII and go all in at the same time. That was until they scrapped the MkI and went on to the MkII lens, and the damn MkII 5D for the MkIII, both of which are double the price….stupid progress! So until I can afford that I’m screwed as it’s not worth investing money in a 10, 14, or 18mm Sigma equivalent at around £500 at the moment. I hope you understand my predicament. That being said, here is a shot I did on Sunday using my kit lens on the 400D. I fail to see much wrong with this from the point of using a kit lens (maybe negligible amounts of CA around the trees?)  You may not like the composition, lighting, whatever, but other than that it isn’t bad.

5)  Doesn’t have a bare minimum of 2 hot shoe flash guns that can be used off camera. – This is utter BS. I use 2 Canon 430EX II’s and a £20 Centon FG105D as an optical slave, not always all at the same time might I add. But I also use ambient light (less so) and produce some great images. There are a lot of other photographers who ONLY use ambient light and produce beautiful images. What about landscape photographers?

Other than that you are spot on. *Please be gentle….* LOL

Thomas
    Participant

Damn it how do you embed images on this thing?!!

dstone81
    Participant

TJH if you are using Flickr..Click on the HTML tab of the reply  and then get the link from flickr and post. (make sure you click the HTML tab first before you paste your link or it won’t work.) Took me a bit to figure it out. Good luck.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.